Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston's Canvas, Screen, and Tent Flap
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady at the fabric store had some sort of backing material on a bolt that you could cut a huge patch fom. It was glue on both sides. Iron it, cut, and iron on the tent.

www.DIYSeattle.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talking about Wonder Under?
http://www.joann.com/pellon-wonder-under-paper-backed-fusible-web-17-w-x-2yds/prd35534/
Bntbrl wrote:
The lady at the fabric store had some sort of backing material on a bolt that you could cut a huge patch fom. It was glue on both sides. Iron it, cut, and iron on the tent.

What did you use to patch your hole with?
msinabottle wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've got the start of the tiniest hole ever in one spot. Thing about tiny holes is they grow and grow and grow so fast!

Given what I've read (and know) about glue, I won't be using any glue. Guess I could get a round upholstery needle and just sew it, but it's so tiny, I'd rather something smaller and less obvious.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Iron On Patches! Reply with quote

I went to a good fabric store, got tan iron-on patches, had someone hold a small sleeve ironing board on the inside of the tent while I ironed on the patch from the outside.

It stuck very nicely, closed the hole, and provided additional protection against the hinge-pinching that had worn the holes in the tent.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron On Patches! Reply with quote

So, you only put the patch on the inside?

Ironing board on the other side, Genius! Thank you very much!

You recall the packaging?
This
http://www.joann.com/singer-iron-on-patches-2x3-10-pkg-dark-light-assortment/prd48906/
or

this?
http://www.joann.com/dritz-assorted-iron-on-twill-patches-16-pkg/prd48900/

tam
msinabottle wrote:
I went to a good fabric store, got tan iron-on patches, had someone hold a small sleeve ironing board on the inside of the tent while I ironed on the patch from the outside.

It stuck very nicely, closed the hole, and provided additional protection against the hinge-pinching that had worn the holes in the tent.

Best!

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Iron On Patches! Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
So, you only put the patch on the inside?

Ironing board on the other side, Genius! Thank you very much!

You recall the packaging?

I used a small wood cutting board... easier to handle in a small space.

I used the iron-on patches too, but got them at Albertson's (if you can believe it); I think they were canvas or twill, can't recall which. I used one patch on both sides to seal the hole and to protect the tent from potential hinge pinching (ever since patching those holes, even with the new tent, I drop the roof to half way and go to the back to tuck the tent in).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

I've got the start of the tiniest hole ever in one spot. Thing about tiny holes is they grow and grow and grow so fast!

For outdoor gear I use Seam Grip.

http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx

Put duct tape on one side, dab on the seam grip, and remove duct tape after it dries.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Yes. Reply with quote

I've used both brands, actually, if not all of them on Winston's tent. I seem to recall the Dritz sticking somewhat more firmly. As I recall, I had the sleeve ironing board on the inside--because that was safer--and the iron and patch on the outside.

It worked and held! For other tears I used 'Tear Mender,' which is a latex glue and holds pretty well. If it doesn't, you use more of it, and it holds pretty well. If...

Relatively harmless stuff. Now I have a Sunbrella Tent. Not sure what I'll do if that goes South. Should put up a good fight, though.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron On Patches! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...even with the new tent, I drop the roof to half way and go to the back to tuck the tent in).

That brings back memories. With our old tent my wife would pause just before finishing the close and I would walk around back and tuck in any tent hanging out. I would then rap twice on the poptop shell as the official signal to complete & latch. Always used a comb for the tuck-in (not my fingers) just in case things got confused.

The iron on patch is good, when we had to patch our old one I laid inside and she was outside and we pushed a needle back and forth thru a patch on each side. Crafty & neat but a lot more work than ironing.
midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PO left me one of those rips from not checking before latching. So I put a bandaid on it until time to replace. Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: