Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
I'm tyring to find a solution to my spare tire dilema. Since I'm using the CLK's but only have four, I thought about modifying the clamshell to accept a steel spare. Any reason this: http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/wheels/steel-wheel...l/0096248/ would'nt work?

I am using a 15" x 6" Mercedes steel wheel for my spare, mounted with a 205/65-15 tire. The tire is VERY close in circumference to the 225/55-16 tires I'm using, and the wheel fits over the Volks cafe Audi brakes up front. I took out the tire retainers in the clamshell and added a few washers under the retaining bolt and all is well.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
bosruten wrote:
I'm tyring to find a solution to my spare tire dilema. Since I'm using the CLK's but only have four, I thought about modifying the clamshell to accept a steel spare. Any reason this: http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/wheels/steel-wheel...l/0096248/ would'nt work?

I am using a 15" x 6" Mercedes steel wheel for my spare, mounted with a 205/65-15 tire. The tire is VERY close in circumference to the 225/55-16 tires I'm using, and the wheel fits over the Volks cafe Audi brakes up front. I took out the tire retainers in the clamshell and added a few washers under the retaining bolt and all is well.
Thanks! How far would you drive on that spare?...I do have a decoupler.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
bosruten wrote:

Thanks! How far would you drive on that spare?...I do have a decoupler.

The Continentals on the van are 811 revs/mile and the Uniroyal spare is 815 revs/mile. I haven't tried driving the van with it on the rear to see if it triggers the posi diff but I don't think it would be a problem. If I had to drive a couple of hundred miles, I'd probably put the spare on the front.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
bosruten wrote:

That wheel is 7.5" wide with a 40mm offset. Being wider will hamper your efforts to fit it into the clamshell and the additional width plus the additional offset will force you to run different spacers than you would with the CLK wheels.

You can still buy brand new CLK steel wheels at the Mercedes dealer for not much more money than that. Ask for part number 2034000302. That wheel will be the same size and offset as your forged alloy CLK wheels and will use the same hardware.

Using that part #, I am shown C240 rims? I use #'s to search Canadian tire...so I enter C240 and come up with this... http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/wheels/steel-wheel...l/0096135/ .I tried shopping around Mercedes places locally...no help Crying or Very sad My wife is heading off on a trip, I'd like to get this sorted before she leaves.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Tire is selling aftermarket versions of these wheels and my guess is that you won't find wheels with the exact specs (16x7 ET37) on their site.

Here is a eBay seller in the US with one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-2003-04-Mercedes-CLK-OEM-Rim-Wheel-Steel-2034000302-/110818277401

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picked up a set of these 16x7 ET20 Ronal wheels. The guy I bought them from had just taken them off his vanagon, so they theoretically fit.

Anyone have any idea what would be involved? He said nothing, but I have my concerns with the ET.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those appear to be the Ronal R-28's. I used to run a set of those a couple of years ago. They bolted right on with no spacers or modification of any kind. Really a nice quality wheel, it is a shame they aren't making them anymore.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a set of those r-28's, I thought it was of the best looking wheels available for the vanagon.

I do not remember which type of ball seat I was running with those, whether they were conical or ball seat.
The et kicks it out away from the van 10 mm, which in my opinion is not a big deal.

I had these on a 2wd van, with 225-55-16 on them, and there was no issue with the sliding door, although it was very close fully opened.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piling on, I'm looking at these...

1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy am I glad to know that the wheels I stumbled across are a good fit and desirable!
Now, anyone want them?
I'm not sure I need/want them.....

I run 15'' borbet's with a 10mm spacer currently, and they have snow tires on them as this is primarily a winter bus. However, If i think i'm going to use the bus outside of the winter as well, It would be nice to have a second set of wheels/tires for it. However, Since I have Loggy's spacers which are impractically challenging to remove (i've done it once, probably can't pull it off again).
So idk.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santana and Levi....you guys say a wheel with an ET20 will fit the Vanagon. Any chance you two or Chris would know if 17x8 or 18x8 ET20 would fit or would I have clearance issues for the front wheels? Just curious cause I found some cheap BMW wheels Id like to get.

Last edited by KDI_CUSTOMS on Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Argos33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey samba friends,
I got these tires from my brother and am trying to figure out what lug bolts and spacers I need. They are 15" wheels off of a mercedes. It says 6 1/2J x 15H2 and ET44.

So I will need ~7mm spacers for each wheel and lug bolts (that match the hole profile) and long enough to reach the threads? Thanks

Evan
briansr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: 85 Vanagon Wheels from a 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

Does anyone one know if the wheels from a 2002 eurovan fit a 1985 vanagon? Will they need spacers and what thickness.

Thanks,
Brian
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos33 wrote:
Hey samba friends,
I got these tires from my brother and am trying to figure out what lug bolts and spacers I need. They are 15" wheels off of a mercedes. It says 6 1/2J x 15H2 and ET44.

So I will need ~7mm spacers for each wheel and lug bolts (that match the hole profile) and long enough to reach the threads? Thanks

Evan

I would recommend 10mm spacers for the front and 15mm spacers for the rear along with longer rear wheel studs and small ball seat hardware. You will also have to drill out the lug holes (37/64" is recommended).

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Vanagon Wheels from a 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

briansr1 wrote:
Does anyone one know if the wheels from a 2002 eurovan fit a 1985 vanagon? Will they need spacers and what thickness.

Thanks,
Brian

I'm assuming that your '85 is a 2wd? There are several versions of Eurovan wheels with quite a few different sizes a offsets. We would have to know exactly which ones you are working with in order ton know what hardware you will need.

One thing to remember about any Eurovan wheel set is that you have to have the centerbores machined to 66.56mm in order to fit over the Vanagon hubs. This is true for almost all Audi and late VW wheels.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDI_CUSTOMS wrote:
Santana and Levi....you guys say a wheel with an ET20 will fit the Vanagon. Any chance you two or Chris would know if 17x8 or 18x8 ET20 would fit or would I have clearance issues for the front wheels? Just curious cause I found some cheap BMW wheels Id like to get.

Well, BMW wheels have a 5x120 bolt pattern and the Vanagon is 5x112.

As for ET20 wheels, I generally wouldn't recommend them, especially on a van that is any lower than a standard Vanagon. Sure they will bolt on and people have run them and been happy, but depending on the wheel/tire width, they can also cause rubbing issues at the upper front fender lips (the lower the van the worse this issue) and the sliding door.

1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I got me a set of wheels that I'm told were from a Mercedes CLK although I have been unable to verify that as of yet. Anyhow, I have bored out the holes to accommodate the 14mm studs/bolts. The rear wheel studs do not protrude through the rim but instead the tip of the stud rests approximately 1mm below the bottom of the ball seat. what length of stud should I use if I plan to use closed nuts to complete the job? Also, what length of bolt is recommended. Feel free to chime in Loogy as I will be ordering the parts from you.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PAULPIERCEFAN34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: VW Golf wheels; Will they work? Please reply. Reply with quote

These wheels are 5x112, they are 18' rims, Im guessing that theres no place for the center cap to go. Please tell me anything, thanks.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel hunting is a PITA... and I keep bugging poor Christopher.

I am all over the map trying to figure this crap out, from used Benz rims to new stuff, offset, size, clearance, studs and pressed in, bolts, lugs, drilling no drilling, spacers... Brick wall

At this point I am trying to rein in the cost somewhat (out the door cost). CL has proven to have nothing but shit, so now I am looking at new wheels. I don't want to raise the van, and will lose 1.5" of ground clearnace with the 1.8t... so I might lower it if I raise the height in wheel size to get back to square one. I'm looking at:

VC Mefro 16" Thinking of painting contrasting or black, maybe even a hubcap added.

BRM Repo in 15" or 17" Painting the inside of spoke contrasting?

Any suggestions or pics with these mounted on your vanagon?
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
Ok, so I got me a set of wheels that I'm told were from a Mercedes CLK although I have been unable to verify that as of yet. Anyhow, I have bored out the holes to accommodate the 14mm studs/bolts. The rear wheel studs do not protrude through the rim but instead the tip of the stud rests approximately 1mm below the bottom of the ball seat. what length of stud should I use if I plan to use closed nuts to complete the job? Also, what length of bolt is recommended. Feel free to chime in Loogy as I will be ordering the parts from you.

I would go with a set of 56mm rear studs, small ball seat lug nuts and a set of 45mm small ball seat front lug bolts.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 96 of 174

Jump to: