Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Problem 78 2.0Ltr bus HELP!!!!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Fuel Problem 78 2.0Ltr bus HELP!!!!! Reply with quote

I have just got a sweet 1978 Bus with a 2.0Ltr motor. It will turn over but not fire. If I remover the air filter and spray carb cleaner into the fuel injector it will fire and run. The second I stop spraying the carb cleaner it stops. It turns over fine just wont fire. The engine had a fuel injector, not carbs. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Fuel Problem 78 2.0Ltr bus HELP!!!!! Reply with quote

Mark,

I use starter fluid but carb cleaner works also. Try the easy ones first:

First, with the key in the on position deflect the flap inside the air flow meter where you sprayed the carb cleaner and listen for a hum that indicates the fuel pump is working. If you hear nothing or a grinding noise you have a fuel pump problem. It might be easier to get a friend to press on the flap while you put your ear near the pump. If it sounds ok then hold the flap open for 30 seconds. This will bring up the fuel rail to maximum pressure and help the engine fire on it's own (it's a long way from the fuel tank to the #1/#2 fuel injectors.

If this doesn't work then check that you've got a white wire from the wiring harness going to the negative side of the ignition coil.

At this point you can have two suspects: no fuel coming out of the fuel injectors or no electrical signal from the computer to fire them. Have a spare fuel filter to try if you aren't getting fuel to the injectors.

If you don't know anything about the prior history of this bus I would replace all of the fuel lines so you don't become the victim of an engine fire during your testing or afterward when you are on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Fuel Problem 78 2.0Ltr bus HELP!!!!! Reply with quote

I just recently successfully installed FI on my 78bus...The way I tested my injectors was to take them off the manifold and put them into little cups then turn the ignition a couple times. You should see fuel in the cups. Also check for nice even spray. Now you know the injectors are working. Next if you want to be really methodical test your fuel pressure attach fuel pressure tester to little piece on fuel rail. Should be around 28psi...
To check for spark I gust took wire off plug, put end of wire close to engine tin turn ignition if you see strong blue spark you are gold.
It is a real good Idea to take ratwell's advice and replace all the fuel lines. and check the gas tank to make sure it is solid. The only major problem with my FI was the fuelpump (duel) relay. If these tests reveal your problem is not fuel pressure or ingnition spark then you probably need to test your Air Flow meter and computer. Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: