Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc Brakes - 911 on a bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Disc Brakes - 911 on a bus Reply with quote

Ok im trying to figure out something here i have a 65 bus and going to run Porsche wheels,i will be running the 944 brakes on the front but on the back i will be useing 911 brakes I have a swing axle type 3 tranny,what do i need to do to run the 911 brakes on the back is there a adapater or ? thanks for any info.
walkthru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact Lanner @ Vdub Engineering. He has everything you need. Great guy, service, quality parts.
petevdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ yeah, what he said.

Lanner is THE brake guru!

My '65, brakes a-la-Lanner/VDubEngineering!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool thanks
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a complete Porsche 944(1984) front disc brake assembly off of Craigs list for $150 which I to install on my wife's 13 window delux. The seller also has the complete rear brake assembly(steel trailing arms & all) for another $150....I don't think I can pass it up!
I'm in the process of doing the IRS conversion and already have most of the type 1 parts and was planning to go with the beetle rear disc brakes with redrilled Porsche pattern rotors. If I substitute the 944 trailing arms & all will the beetle CV joint bolt directly to the 944 stud axle?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petevdub wrote:
^^^^ yeah, what he said.

Lanner is THE brake guru!

My '65, brakes a-la-Lanner/VDubEngineering!

That is the Bees Knees!!!

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Picked up a complete Porsche 944(1984) front disc brake assembly off of Craigs list for $150 which I to install on my wife's 13 window delux. The seller also has the complete rear brake assembly(steel trailing arms & all) for another $150....I don't think I can pass it up!
I'm in the process of doing the IRS conversion and already have most of the type 1 parts and was planning to go with the beetle rear disc brakes with redrilled Porsche pattern rotors. If I substitute the 944 trailing arms & all will the beetle CV joint bolt directly to the 944 stud axle?

Thanks

no, the bug CV joint is smaller, you can use a bug stub, they just fit in without modifications. if you have the 944 rear trailing arms (Steel) you can just swap the inner rubber bushing for a bug bushing and use the 944 arm, they are the same as on a bug. if you have acesss to a 944 body, you can even use the brackets to weld these to your Type 2 torsion tube and leave the 944 inner bushings in place.
-edit- you can also just use a 944 or thing CV on your bug axle
either way, you have to experiment with the brake cable, i dont know if it will fit (in lenght) without modifications.
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

Thanks

no, the bug CV joint is smaller, you can use a bug stub, they just fit in without modifications. if you have the 944 rear trailing arms (Steel) you can just swap the inner rubber bushing for a bug bushing and use the 944 arm, they are the same as on a bug. if you have acesss to a 944 body, you can even use the brackets to weld these to your Type 2 torsion tube and leave the 944 inner bushings in place.
-edit- you can also just use a 944 or thing CV on your bug axle
either way, you have to experiment with the brake cable, i dont know if it will fit (in lenght) without modifications.

It sounds like it would be just as easy to take the 944 backing plates, rotor/hub and calipers and use the bug trailing arms and axle studs. If it makes a difference I plan to go with the Westwagons IRS kit with the adjustable springplates.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: