Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about FI temp sensor #1
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Question about FI temp sensor #1 Reply with quote

So I recently replaced my temp sensor #1. However, I noticed that the part number on the new one and old one were different. The old one was part number 0 280 130 001, and the new one ended in 006. I noticed its shorter, is there any functional difference between the two?

Thanks

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember the range differences between part #'s. I think there were some slight differences over the years. I have used them interchangeably with no real effect.

However....there are some small issues with this sensor design in the first place. It increases/decreases fuel mixture by somewhere between 5-10 across the board depending on intake air temp.

One problem with the sensor is that it banks heat. On the shorter sensor there is very little sensor actually protruding into airflow. This is actually a resistor in an aluminum tube that is potted with epoxy. The exposed epoxy on the tip transfers very little heat. Because most of the rest of the short sensor is buried in the intake...it sheds very little heat to intake air. In hot climates like Texas and Oklahoma....this sensor tends to move toward a warmish temp and stay there regardless of ambient because it picks up the banked heat from the intake.

Performance wise...I have found the longer sensor seems to have better variability. Some may find that the short sensor works better on your particular car...and this will depend on what your baseline fuel mixture is. On fairly tightly tuned cars I find that in one season or another once the ambient temp gets to its seasonal norm...the car runs more consistently by just unplugging it. I will have to check my notes to see whether it was unplugged in summer or winter. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray.

The car seems to be driving better. My old sensor plug housing was cracked and falling apart. and the epoxy plug in the bottom was starting to fall out.

I'm still waiting to see if it will have any effect on my gas mileage.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: