Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Vanagon Air-Cooled Engine Tin
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwlee4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: 1982 Vanagon Air-Cooled Engine Tin Reply with quote

This is my first post here on the samba and i just added an 82 air-cooled vanagon with the 2.0 liter engine to the driveway and have been searching around for some info on the 80-83 enigne tins and have had no luck finding any place that sells them or much info on how many pieces there are. I know that i am missing the rear engine tin that goes under the cooling fan and have found all kinds of engine tins for older versions if this engine in other type 4 applications. So i am basically looking for some guidance on where to find and how to go about keeping my engine cool. So basically ive got a van that has been tinkered with quite a bit and i bought it from a guy who had no mechanical know how and he bought it from a man who pulled out the fuel injection and replaced with a carberator setup that is working fine for me right now and he also rebuilt the heads and transmission. I guess when he got done getting the engine and trans running he just quit and didnt care a bit about the cooling. so im trying to get that squared away first so i can actually drive this thing without overheating. Any info that anyone has on engine mods to help cooling would also be appreciated, basically lets get this engine cool.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres no real mods needed to keep the engine cool under normal conditions you'll find in most of the US except that as you're aware you need to keep the hot side hot and the cool side cool.

I'd 1st look in the classifieds section here on the samba for your tin.
but if you're in a bind I can likely have the tin(s) you'll need from my parts aircooeld vans.

the biggest danger besides the tin is also the heater boxes (heat exchangers) NEED ie. REQUIRES air passing thru them 100% of the time. they get air from the fan on the front of the Alt, and if this is also missing you'll need that hooked up.
the heated air is then either sent into the van by the ducts or vents outside underneath by the diverters. mushroom shaped things with a lever that hookes to a cable you move from the dash controls.

I'd suspect you'll also need the seal that goes around the tin to the firewall all the way around the engine tin. unfortunately this is a bit pricey for vans.. but may be able to use alternate items

you'll want to get a Bently service manual for the van and for the $15 I'd recommend this one as well.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1474805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwlee4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the helpful info dan,

thats exactly what i needed, someone to just lay it out in simple terms so i can understand what i need right off the bat. I just ordered the bently manual yesterday and went ahead and got the 15 dollar service guide that you suggested from the classifieds.

Thanks for the info on the heater boxes also, my heaterboxes are not hooked up to anything so i will need to also find the correct hoses to hook up. also on the back end of the heaters where the air should be sent to the van has been disconnected and the outlets are crunched up a little bit.

And yeah i was looking at the seals and they are pricey. I read somewhere on here that the bay window seals can be used with a little modification.

I will take some pictures tonight so people can get a better idea of what is missing and maybe we can figure out what all is not there.

Thanks for your help
PAUL IRISH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: 82 vanagon air cooled tin Reply with quote

do you have federal engine or california? makes a difference on the tin under push rod tubes on drivers side. also on exhaust. changed the tin and exhaust on my 82 adventurewagen a/c from cal. to federal w/ parts from my 83 federal parts vanagon and have a lot left over.
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try these guys in Wa I think
http://www.averres.com/

or

these guys in Cal.

http://www.interstateusedparts.com/

Have dealt with both and both pretty good for used parts.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CQ wrote:
You can try these guys in Wa I think
http://www.averres.com/

or

these guys in Cal.

http://www.interstateusedparts.com/

Have dealt with both and both pretty good for used parts.

X2 on CQ's suggestions Very Happy
jwlee4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you have federal engine or california? makes a difference on the tin under push rod tubes on drivers side. also on exhaust. changed the tin and exhaust on my 82 adventurewagen a/c from cal. to federal w/ parts from my 83 federal parts vanagon and have a lot left over.

Paul I have the federal version. That would be great if you had some of the pieces that I needed.

And thanks for the links, they have some very good info.

Alright here is what i am looking at.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So basically it looks like im gonna need all of the plumbing and tins that go on the back side of the engine.
jwlee4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright so the first thing you should do when you buy a van is look through every single compartment. I was so focused on the engine when I bought it that when i finally decided to pull up the rear bench seat and i saw the large peice of cooling tin that i was missing hahaha. i couldnt believe it. also found the hose for the alternator fan. All in all a good day except for putting some new canvas in, that new one better last forever
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find.

DON'T forget the engine seal that goes all the way around the tin.
even duct tape would be better than the consequences of the hot air getting sucked back into the cooling fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else did you find in there... millions bucks?? Glad for you that tin seems like PITA to find if you don't have any of it.
CPOly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do find that there is a piece or pieces that you still need, let me know as I've got a few sitting around.
bonjuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin from florida Reply with quote

There is also a shop I just used in Jacksonville, Fl for this exact thing. I have a 1981 aircooled 2.0, and they had all the tin I needed. They are called Hilltop Motors.

Best of luck.
pkovac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: looking for 1982 vanagon lower engine tin Reply with quote

I've been looking hard for the last month to find my final two missing pieces of engine tin for my 1982 aircooled Vanagon. They are the lower tins that go between the heat exchangers and crankcase. Does anyone know of a place where I can find these ( I've tried Avery's and Bus Boys as well as a lot of local shops)? I've also thought about fabricating these tins. Has anyone done it? If so with any success? Any comments would be appreciated, thank you.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
great find.

DON'T forget the engine seal that goes all the way around the tin.
even duct tape would be better than the consequences of the hot air getting sucked back into the cooling fan.

DO NOT USE DUCT TAPE FOR THE ENGINE SEAL!!

It loses it's stick with the engine heat and instead of keeping the hot air from getting sucked into your cooling fan, the duct tape itself will get sucked into the engine's cooling fan and wrapped around your cylinders where it will melt/burn into an extensive removal project... I found that out in 1991... bad memories...I wish I hadn't opened this thread...
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more places to try. Here on the Samba, under the classifieds, look for Bryan Wilson. He posted up some parts on June 9th. I have bought some air cooled parts from him in the past. Good VW guy who ships fast and in my opinion has good prices.

Blair & Sons in Arizona. Do a Google search. Years ago I bought my entire set of tins from them. RUST free parts.

Interstate Auto. I have bought some parts from Diane in the past. They used to have two yards but I think they are down to just one now. Not sure which one though. Do a Google search.

Also in the Classifieds here on Samba is a seller who goes by the name of "sleepyjoe". I've bought some parts and pieces from him in the past.

Try Walter over at Bus Boys in Redding California. If he does not have what you need he could offer up some tips on where to locate what you need. He gave me the name of a parts yard but for the life of me I cant remember the name. Its something like...way out westy parts.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the name ...its Way Out Salvage in Arkansas. Google em for information. Good Luck, I hope you locate the parts you need. The engine tin is necessary on the air cooled models. Without it, you risk burning up your motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: