Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS! Will check BBB next time I'm down there and online! I've checked our Walmart, they were more $$ and not the size I wanted.

Will also check the American Walmart next time I'm there.
MootPoint wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
Where did you get your $9 cutting board and what size is it? I should be able to make a cut out on a regular one and save myself $20!

I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. The price may have gone up since I got it about five years ago but I bet you can still get one at Wallyworld for cheap.

I'm the one from BC, you may have mixed us up b/c I posted between you...
nemobuscaptain wrote:
Sorry, thought you were in BC for some reason.

Yeah, I remember when the Tunas were good. 72 I think it was.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
THANKS! Will check BBB next time I'm down there and online! I've checked our Walmart, they were more $$ and not the size I wanted.

Both Canadian Tire and Winners have a good selection of cutting boards, including the wooden kind.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say reversing my 2 sliding windows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzalac wrote:

Why would you do that? No concern over water/rain getting forced under the slider and leaking into the van?
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ X2. I am getting ready to pull my windows to tint and replace the rubber ~ good time to reverse them if it makes sense...I assume you just swap them side to side? So ~ what is the advantage? Reach them from the rear seat?
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

Both Canadian Tire and Winners have a good selection of cutting boards, including the wooden kind.

Restaurant supply houses. Buy a piece twice the size you need for half the price. Or use the other half for Westy lean shims.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitterBeerFace wrote:
mzalac wrote:

Why would you do that? No concern over water/rain getting forced under the slider and leaking into the van?

He lives in Hawaii and he has no A/C.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand from other posts that water doesn't get in, but does it improve airflow that much? I live in MT and don't have AC either so would love to know!
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will check out all three places this week!

What are "Westy lean shims"? I bought that gowesty Fiamma leveling set, don't tell me now a cutting board would do the trick! Rolling Eyes That Fiamma set is probably something I would not have bought if I'd seen it IRL, kind of big to drag around and store...Wonder what their return policy is? Though shipping will probably cost more than making it worth while...

tam
chojinchef wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

Restaurant supply houses. Buy a piece twice the size you need for half the price. Or use the other half for Westy lean shims.

Making it special:
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

What are "Westy lean shims"? I bought that gowesty Fiamma leveling set, don't tell me now a cutting board would do the trick! Rolling Eyes That Fiamma set is probably something I would not have bought if I'd seen it IRL, kind of big to drag around and store...Wonder what their return policy is? Though shipping will probably cost more than making it worth while...

tam

They correct the tilt caused by the kitchen on the drivers side. They're donut shaped pieces of plastic (cutting board material) that sit above the spring on the drivers side. You can also use more than one (usually n+1 on the drivers side) to correct the "saggy butt syndrome" that Westys often develop when the springs tire.

Robyn

PS, if you're looking to unload the Fiamma ramps, PM me.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

What are "Westy lean shims"?

tam
chojinchef wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

The referenced shims are donuts cut from the plastic board placed above left rear coil spring to compensate for unequal weight distribution and its effects on a level stance of the vehicle.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
I understand from other posts that water doesn't get in, but does it improve airflow that much? I live in MT and don't have AC either so would love to know!

I had a loaf bus like that. It improved the airflow for the people in the back seat. The jumpeat riders get a pretty good breeze from the front windows.

I never had problems with rain entering even during downpours.

It does make it harder to reach the windows though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audi A4 steering wheel makes my van such a pleasure to drive Very Happy

Feels so nice compared to the factory school bus size wheel
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thank you both!

Ok, so this plastic cutting board donut stays there right? Like you remove the spring, but the donut in and replace the spring? Why not just get a longer spring for that side in the first place? Aside from the obvious cost factor. I love how you guys come up w/ $10 fixes for everything.

My favorite, Penetrol!

tam
chojinchef wrote:

The referenced shims are donuts cut from the plastic board placed above left rear coil spring to compensate for unequal weight distribution and its effects on a level stance of the vehicle.

Making it special:
mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: nemobuscaptain, tarandusVDub, stevey88, BitterBeerFace, & to anybody that doughty this works.

So, both sliding windows are reversed. How did he do it?

Well, you take out both sliding windows and disassemble them. Then you take the stationary glass and reverse its position. Then you switch the driver side & passenger side locking tracks. Then you glue everything back together.

The sliding windows DO NOT leak. They have the same water tight pressure as factory.
The sliding windows DO NOT let in more air when closed. Its the same as if they were factory.

Basically, anybody that doughty this has never done it and is only going on assumption. (And we now what that means)

I live on Oahu (Its one of seven Hawaiian Islands), it rains, its windy (gusty too), its hot, and yes I have A/C.

Oh, I do have Air Conditioning. It's an 1989 VW Westfalia GL 2.1L WBX.

The reason for reversing is two fold, one for our safety while sleeping and two for security when we're away from our Westy.

OEM sliding windows allow someone to breaking in and unlock your front doors and your sliding door all at the same time. DOES'NT MAKE ME FEEL SAVE.

By reversing them, (by the way i have a 3ft arm reach) I can't reach the lock buttons. Try and picture someone crawling through the opening of the sliding window.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't doughty you for a second! Wink

Cool mod. Thanks for the step-by-step. I wish I had seen this before I had my sliders removed for painting!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Worries!!!

Here's a better step-by-step http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512815&highlight=
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out in Ohio if you have a Hidden Storage Drawer under your front seat. You can get a ticket for that!!! This was a bit more elaborate than a RMW Lockable under seat storage box, but, kinda makes you think.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577717

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/21/driver-arrested-in-ohio-for-secret-car-c

IMHO, this thread maybe should be moved to the Vanagon Forum??? Moderator note: That thread was moved from the Vanagon Forum because it applies to all vehicles, not specifically Vanagons/Eurovans. Additionally, please read the law's text: If you have never and are not currently transporting illegal drugs in your van, and make the cops aware of your "hidden" storage prior to a legal search, you have nothing to worry about.

jacklndn wrote:
While this isn't specifically Westy/Vanagon related, it did ring a bell in my head regarding the mods people make for secret or secure storage under their front seats. And it seemed like something the samba community would want to know about.
--

Quote:
Driver Arrested in Ohio for Secret Car Compartment Full of Nothing

Norman Gurley, 30, is facing drug-related charges in Lorain County, Ohio, despite the fact that state troopers did not actually find any drugs in his possession.

Ohio passed a law in 2012 making it a felony to alter a vehicle to add a secret compartment with the “intent” of using it to conceal drugs for trafficking.

Gurley is the first actual person arrested under the law. WKYC in Northeast Ohio covered the arrest, with no notable journalistic skepticism whatsoever:

They pulled over the driver for speeding, but then troopers noticed several wires running to the back of the car.

Those wires then led them directly to a hidden compartment.

Around 5 p.m. on Tuesday state troopers made the arrest under the law, which is meant to combat criminals who modify the inside of their car, allowing them to store drugs or weapons inside secret compartments, which can often only be accessed electronically.

They just noticed some wires, did they? Just while in the process of handing Gurley a speeding ticket, they noticed the wires?

They did not, however, find any drugs, which means they’re arresting Gurley for the crime of an empty space:

Troopers arrested 30-year-old Norman Gurley, who didn't even have any drugs on him, but it didn't matter, because in Ohio, just driving a "trap" car is now a felony.

"Without the hidden compartment law, we would not have had any charges on the suspect," says Combs.

But because of this law, one more "trap car" is now off Northeast Ohio roads.

"We apparently caught them between runs, so to speak, so this takes away one tool they have in their illegal trade. The law does help us and is on our side," says Combs.

Combs’ claim is not challenged by the news station at all.

The law says it’s only a crime if the hidden compartment is added with the “intent” to conceal drugs, but it also outlaws anybody who has been convicted of felony aggravated drug trafficking laws from operating any vehicle with hidden compartments. The ACLU of Ohio warned against the new legislation:

The ACLU of Ohio believes SB 305 is an unnecessary and unproductive expansion of law. Drug trafficking is already prohibited under Ohio law, so there is no use for shifting the focus to the container. Further by focusing on the container itself, this bill criminalizes a person with prior felony drug trafficking convictions simply for driving a car with a hidden compartment, regardless of whether or not drugs or even drug residue are present.

Given this is the first arrest, you have to wonder how the courts might view a law making it a felony to alter a person's own property for reasons that have nothing to do with actual public safety. Maybe we'll see.

As for the car itself, the Institute for Justice’s 2010 “Policing for Profit” report calculated that law enforcement officials in the state have collected more than $80 million in shared proceeds from asset forfeiture funds. Oh, and the hidden compartment law exempts vehicles being operated by law enforcement officers, so if state troopers can come up with an excuse to use the ride they just grabbed, they may be able to keep it for themselves.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/21/driver-arrested-in-ohio-for-secret-car-c

Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked in to comment on one of my favorite upgrades so far.

The dome light above the driver's head was upgraded with a higher power LED unit from Van Cafe. It is really neat and didn't cost much and was as easy as changing a bulb. Super worth it!

But then I read the post above about hidden compartments. That is one ridiculous law. It's going a bit too far.

Chuey
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: sun roof installation Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus My sun roof, love the air flow and can stand up to cook. And what a place to take pictures from when in Moab. And only cost $500. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 19

Jump to: