Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDX VANAGON/DOKA/WESTFALIA ~Monthly Westravaganza!~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welchmaster wrote:
PM sent

your sigline......change it Wink
Those eggs were fantastic. Let us know if you ever have any more Cool
I am seriously thinking about building a Syncro chicken coop Idea

Quote:
85 2wd Doka, 1.9 5-speed.
Lifting up the new van this weekend... stay tuned!

"Further up, further in!"

when you meet with him, please PU my snorkel that HansJ sent home with him from Teh Syncro Solstice Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn, Jahabah~D strikes again Cool
malibu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PMed last night about the shocks, lift springs wont do much on the 85. Still waiting to hear back.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the third annual PDX Westy Fest campout. The last two years we have gone to Silver Falls State Park. This year we wanted to try a change of pace. We're glad we did.

The Eastern end of the Columbia River gorge is stunning in the springtime. The oak trees are leafing out, the wildflowers are everywhere, the rivers are running high, and the grass, soon to be a sunbaked brown, is a luscious green.

This FREE campground is directly on the wild and scenic Klickitat River. While it gets crowded during salmon fishing season, during our weekend I think there was maybe one other person in the entire campground. Firewood is free for the collecting all over the area, and we had a big one!

Well we had a fairly small turn out this year, I will do a better job of promotion next time, as this camp area could easily hold 20 or 30 vans.

The ladies having a powwow

The beautiful rimrock and oak trees across the river

A wide-angle shot the camping area

The Klickitat River runs about 20 feet away from the Vans

and

and finally, me on the the next day: using the Westy as a base camp for a successful climb of the Leuthold Couloir route on Mt. Hood.

Hope to see y'all next year!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Westy, the hour glass of Leuthold Couloir , and the Klickitat R., that's a great combo. I got the dates mixed up this year, sorry I missed it.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot!

climberjohn wrote:
Here are some photos of the third annual PDX Westy Fest campout. The last two years we have gone to Silver Falls State Park. This year we wanted to try a change of pace. We're glad we did.

The Eastern end of the Columbia River gorge is stunning in the springtime. The oak trees are leafing out, the wildflowers are everywhere, the rivers are running high, and the grass, soon to be a sunbaked brown, is a luscious green.

This FREE campground is directly on the wild and scenic Klickitat River. While it gets crowded during salmon fishing season, during our weekend I think there was maybe one other person in the entire campground. Firewood is free for the collecting all over the area, and we had a big one!

Well we had a fairly small turn out this year, I will do a better job of promotion next time, as this camp area could easily hold 20 or 30 vans.

The ladies having a powwow

The beautiful rimrock and oak trees across the river

A wide-angle shot the camping area

The Klickitat River runs about 20 feet away from the Vans

and

and finally, me on the the next day: using the Westy as a base camp for a successful climb of the Leuthold Couloir route on Mt. Hood.

Hope to see y'all next year!

-CJ

Did Pete make it up Confused:Saw the tow pics, was not sure if it was on the way up or back. Sorry for the low turnout, but, that definitely looks like a winning spot. I will be doing a trip there with the fam in the near future for sure once I purchase my yearly pass.

With my house for sale and my work schedule, I am lucky that i can still pay attention Very Happy

any pics of....
Quote:
successful climb of the Leuthold Couloir route on Mt. Hood.

I feel that it is topic worthy Wink
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make it. My van decided to mark it's territory and spray some oil on 84 on the way out. I actually joked with the tow driver about having him take us there instead of home. really bummed to miss it.
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
I didn't make it. My van decided to mark it's territory and spray some oil on 84 on the way out. I actually joked with the tow driver about having him take us there instead of home. really bummed to miss it.

Is your sigline going to change? Wink

Looks like a fun time was had. Thanks for posting the pictures, CJ!

I'm calling for a Lucky Lab meetup in June.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - That campground looks amazing! I'm really bummed I couldn't make it this year. Thanks for finally posting pictures. It looks like someplace to definitely go back too. Looks like the weather cooporated too. Well, maybe next year, or later in the summer! -Rick
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
third annual PDX Westy Fest campout.

John ~ thanks for the write-up, and coodination efforts.

Smallish turnout, but we had a good time with all those that came. There were enough kids to entertain themselves and only needed an adult to pick fishing lures out of the tree every 5 minutes (thanks Bob!). There were a couple of folks in Portland who got scared away by the rain. Folks should be made aware that this area is typically drier than the valley area. I've camped here on several memorial day weekends and found good weather ~ or at least much better than in Portland. To that I'll offer to help with communications or whatever. And since I just offered to help, I thought I'd also offer that J Kidd can bring a case or two of beer that he personally brewed. Call it something snazzy like the weeping waterboxer, or in the case of Pete and myself the weeping wallet. Don’t worry J Kidd, we’ve got a full year to think of a real gem name. Laughing

My vote is for this location next spring on the same weekend.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd152 wrote:
Is your sigline going to change? Wink

Done!
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:
climberjohn wrote:
third annual PDX Westy Fest campout.

John ~ thanks for the write-up, and coodination efforts.

Smallish turnout, but we had a good time with all those that came. There were enough kids to entertain themselves and only needed an adult to pick fishing lures out of the tree every 5 minutes (thanks Bob!). There were a couple of folks in Portland who got scared away by the rain. Folks should be made aware that this area is typically drier than the valley area. I've camped here on several memorial day weekends and found good weather ~ or at least much better than in Portland. To that I'll offer to help with communications or whatever. And since I just offered to help, I thought I'd also offer that J Kidd can bring a case or two of beer that he personally brewed. Call it something snazzy like the weeping waterboxer, or in the case of Pete and myself the weeping wallet. Don’t worry J Kidd, we’ve got a full year to think of a real gem name. Laughing

My vote is for this location next spring on the same weekend.

Well, maybe less time than that. I've got to check with the hosts first, but I am thinking about bringing significant quantity of homebrew to Mogfest! Shocked Very Happy
PNW Westy Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errant fishing lures aside it was a great campground and we had it all to ourselves. Nice to hang out with everyone! Thanks to CJ for coordinating and moving the location to the Klickitat. Silver Falls SP is nice and all, but warm(ish) sunny weather was a great call and the CG itself being more primitive than Silver Falls added to the charm.

Looking forward to drinking some of J Kidd's beer.

Pete - what was the diagnosis of your motor? We kept wondering when you were going to show but once it got dark we assumed your plans changed.

Bob
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6681354#6681354

Keep your eyes peeled around the PNW. I HATE THIEVES!

http://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/3818220628.html

Quote:
So i contacted the owners and found out there house was burned down wile they were gone to S-cali. Then the cars were stolen. It sounds to me like they are related! Ransack the house, burn it down to hide the crime, then steal the cars at will.( keys were in the house?)

If you see the westy or parts call the police. The 3 Yakima bars are unusual. The police would not let them file a report for 10 day because they are out of town? Go figure?

Anyway i dont know the owners but it sounded like they got it from there dad who loved his westy and had a lot of good memories in it, like most of us!

jcl

Quote:
STOLEN VW VANAGON VAN CAMPER $1,000 REWARD (ARLINGTON, SNOHOMISH, SKAGIT)
We are offering a $1,000 reward for the help of finding/ returning our precious Vanagon (and another $1,000 for the other car). It's is a 1991 multicamper, white, with lisence plate # 641-UXM. Last seen in OUR driveway in Arlington (by lake Ki). Also stolen was my Mazda which we will also pay for. 1998 4 door 626 champagne color w/ plate 372-VML. Our whole house burned down while we were/are away on this biz trip and everything has been lost. PLEASE at least help us be able to find our baby. Thank you and please share!! 360-510-4649 PLEASE CALL ASAP WITH ANY INFO IF YOU OR A FRIEND KNOWS SOMEONE TRYING TO SELL ANY PARTS TO EITHER OF THESE VEHICLES. VIN # FOR THE VANAGON IS WVZZB0253, MAZDA'S IS MZ003543 PLEASE PLEASE CALL 360-510-4649 IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO. THEY HAVE BEEN STOLEN FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW. Sad

UOAmato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: 1.9L conversion to 1.8L I4 Reply with quote

I posted this yesterday to the general thread discussion and was pointed in this direction. Anyone in the Portland area have and/or done this conversion that I may be able to take a look at?

New to the site and hope someone out there can lend a helping hand, or simply some words of advice and encouragement.

I just pulled my defunct stock 1.9L out of my '84 Westy and attempted to install a 1.8L I4 out of a '91 GTI with all of the diesel goodies attached but the mounts from the diesel don't all line up. Is there anyone out there in thesamba land that had similar issues and can help me get my beloved van back on the road? It seems to be the drivers side mount that's way off, maybe two inches from lining up and mounting right in. The passenger side mount fit in with a little elbow grease. The mounts, pan, head gasket cover and all the other parts are from an '82 diesel vanagon.

I'd also love to see one of these mounted up and running so if anyone in the Portland area would like to show theirs off I'd be more than happy to bring a couple beers and talk a little shop.

Adam
BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:

BitterBeerFace wrote:
Any plans for things in mid-June yet?
I should be in the area again, it'd be nice to meet some PDX'ers.

Awesome. Post up your dates that you are rolling through and we will hook up a GTG for you. Bman and BitterBeerFace, this is exactly the purpose of this thread...to meet the passers thru.

I'll be in the PDX area from around June 12 through the weekend of the 22nd/23rd at least. I've have some things to do with non-VW friends that first weekend.

My schedule is 100% open-ended, so if there's anything else going on, it'd be simple for me to hang around longer to be able to see it. (Mogfest in August is probably too long...)
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, could I use a gathering with y'all. I know there was just a super cool camping trip, by the looks of it, but having a new job and all - it's hard to get time off (especially on the weekends).

So, when can we sip some tasty pints together? And does it have to be on a Sunday? Maybe it could be like a Friday evening..? Or even a Mon, Tue, Wed or Thur evening?

All work and no play makes Luka a dull girl...

xoxo

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
Boy, could I use a gathering with y'all. I know there was just a super cool camping trip, by the looks of it, but having a new job and all - it's hard to get time off (especially on the weekends).

So, when can we sip some tasty pints together? And does it have to be on a Sunday? Maybe it could be like a Friday evening..? Or even a Mon, Tue, Wed or Thur evening?

All work and no play makes Luka a dull girl...

xoxo

I am off for 13 days Cool and have the NW Bug Run this weekend too. Post up ideas folks, and lets do it!
Woot!
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work Fri-Sun until 8 so wouldn't be able to make a gathering until after that. (with the exception of Friday June 7; I'm done at 3.) So maybe June 7th @ 4ish+? Or, Monday, Tuesday, Wed or Thur night after work? (I'm done @ 3 on those days.) Just a little casual sumpin' to soften the monotony...

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tues and Thurs after 7ish, I am ready to roll.

I am still a fan of Cathedral Park under St Johns Bridge. It stays light now till late, and once the sun finds Portland again I sure vote for outside open air rather than an indoors pub. It's a beautiful spot. BYOB and let''s have a meet up!

VermontGirl, your idea so you get to pick place and time. =^)

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Tues and Thurs after 7ish, I am ready to roll.

I am still a fan of Cathedral Park under St Johns Bridge. It stays light now till late, and once the sun finds Portland again I sure vote for outside open air rather than an indoors pub. It's a beautiful spot. BYOB and let''s have a meet up!
VermontGirl, your idea so you get to pick place and time.

-CJ

I second this motion. If you post, they will come. X1000 on Cathedral park. BYOB and maybe VanWilder can cook us up some grub.....

Anyone want to caravan down to Woodburn on the 1st?
The 28th Annual Northwest Bug Run will be held Saturday June 1st, 2013 at the Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn, Oregon.

https://www.facebook.com/events/486734448037225/?fref=ts

I am not a real early starter, but, am open to leaving whenever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Page 118 of 171

Jump to: