Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outdoor Table mount
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorsrevenge1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you tighten into the jack point? It all looks great, but I am unclear on this point.

As to this depending on the ground the foot with be sitting on the horse shoe can be turned to help increase stability. There actually isn't in my case at least any thing to tighten it into the jack point other than stepping on the foot and lifting the mount up as you tighten the screw. After I took the pictures I loaded it up with a large Colman stove and pots and pans to see how stable it was. Then I place a 5 gallon bucket filled with water on it because I thought the stove and pots were still pretty light. It held up great I just needed to make sure I had turned the foot towards whichever end of the van the weight was trying to lean towards and it straitened and braced everything up quite nicely. However I do think I might weld on a second horse shoes opposite the one already on there to decrease the need to adjust it depending on weight.

As to it's ease of mounting and dismounting I think it's pretty easy. All I need do is loosen the lower screw and pull it out of the jack point. Then the reverse for mounting it. When I looked at Gowesty's theirs had some kind of pin with a chain going to the top screw on the jack point bar, although this might have been to keep the top screw from getting lost. I think a square bar instead of a pipe would sturdy this connection up though, as the back two jack points are rectangular and the front two are more round. Decreasing the chance it might tip over.

Quote:
But your words "back jack post" makes me think that it might make a lot of sense for those of us who carry hi-lift jacks with the vanagon jackpoint adapter to make a few brackets so the high-lift could be used as the table support structure.

This allows double use of the support structure and would stabilize the van for sleeping at night when it's windy. I'd seriously consider shortening the high lift beam a bit if it makes it easier to use/stow.

I think this is a great Idea Ive been wanting to figure out a way to make some kind of outrigger support system for my van and I have no idea why I didn't think of using high-lift jacks. Because my favorite camping place "lake Powell" gets quite windy in the evenings as do some of the high mountain passes I like to frequent. I think this is going to be my next project

I may modify mine if I can find a square bar that will work but more than likely I will just weld another horse shoe on it. I'm loving using this mount right now I am using it as a laptop stand and typing all this from my shot gun seat. I think I got really lucky in the fact that my set up can clear all the doors opening and closing with me only having to turn the table a bit for the doors on the front to open and close. Thank and I can't believe I got so many replies so fast this being my first build post on the samba my thanks to all of you for the great ideas and questions Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorsrevenge1 wrote:

I think this is a great Idea Ive been wanting to figure out a way to make some kind of outrigger support system for my van and I have no idea why I didn't think of using high-lift jacks. Because my favorite camping place "lake Powell" gets quite windy in the evenings as do some of the high mountain passes I like to frequent. I think this is going to be my next project

To stabilize my rig I just use an extra jack. I put a jack in the passenger front and drivers front and then crank each until they lift maybe an inch or more. This puts some stability sideways into the rig and greatly reduces the shakes due to wind or top bunk movements while camping.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

I made a PVC version several months ago; I've got lots of pipe leftover from other projects, so I put it to use:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Need to modify it just a bit though so that it can be adjustable for various ground heights.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
or top bunk movements while camping.

Queue (Paradise by the dashboard lights)

Anxious

Drool
Pray
Shame on you
#Bad Talk
Brick wall
Dancing
Shhh

Applause Applause

Eh?

d'oh!

Embarassed

#Sleep
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some people weld the front table mount to a vanagon jack. They insert the jack into the jack point, crank the jack up a bit to stabilize the jack, then put the table post onto the table mount and tighten the knob and it makes for a pretty solid setup.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post this here instead of in the "what I did today" thread.

So, I finally got around to modifying the table stand. Modification entailed redoing it completely. Last trip had the Idea go off in my brain. The tied-to-the-van stand just didn't do for me... at all; it annoyed me greatly.

Henceforth, the outside-away-from-the-van table mount:

Nothing more than a slightly modified relatively cheap camera tripod (in matching gray no less!; and it came with a storage cover).

Now, I/we can eat under the center of the awning using the table, the stand can be placed anywhere, including on uneven ground, etc.

Cool

For anyone interested in copying this idea, here's a parts list:
1 Targus camera tripod (model TG-6660TR; the removable camera mount needs to be, well, removed)
1 M-10, 1.50 bolt (1/2"-3/4" long; I used an Allen head)
1/4" plywood cut into a 4x4" square
4 little screws (1/4" in length)
1 small latch

If anyone wants/needs more detailed photos or instructions, just say the word. Right now, I need to go make a vent grille for someone I should've made weeks ago! Embarassed
2016 Golf GTI S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kam, that's awesome! That seems like one of those obvious combinations that no one ever thinks about. How does it hold up in terms of balance, say if something heavy is set of-center? Thank you or posting this, and please post more pictures.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

If anyone wants/needs more detailed photos or instructions, just say the word.

Please?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some people using the jack anchor point as well but with no foot on the floor.Just a bolt accross to lock it (no spin)

I really like this idea of outside table Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Kam, that's awesome! That seems like one of those obvious combinations that no one ever thinks about. How does it hold up in terms of balance, say if something heavy is set of-center? Thank you or posting this, and please post more pictures.

Depends on what your definition of "heavy" is. Laughing

^That candle thing weighs around 2 pounds, 3 at the most and it stays about level. I can tell you that it'll hold a 7-pound weight at that end, but the table tilts just a bit (whole thing stays upright though).

Anyway, a few more photos:

The latches (I had to add one, so in my set-up, two were needed) are required to keep the camera mount platform from flipping up when you put something off-center on the table.

It's pretty straightforward on how to put it all together, but if anyone needs clarification on anything, let me know.

Tips: You'll need to remove the camera mount (it's the removable thing you screw to your camera). Line everything up, mark where you want the holes, then drill (I put holes into the tripod platform first, then used those holes to drill into proper spots on the plywood). Attach the plywood to the retaining arm first (swing it out to drill your hole and to screw it to the plywood), insert the M-10 bolt then attach the other 3 screws.

To attach the table: Flip the platform up, hold the table to the bolt, using an Allen wrench screw the M-10 into the table until it's tight, flip the whole assembly down and latch the latches. Enjoy your table's new-found freedom. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
Westly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas! I looked around my shop and found a grungy old fiberglass telescoping pole that I had used for painting. It's called the Structron Super Handle. It was about 4 feet long, I cut it down to a more useful size.

I used some abs pipe, a rebar pad, pvc T and a 3/4 threaded pipe to come up with this bracket for the rear table (front table is long gone). The yellow pole is epoxied into the top abs section.

This hitch pin holds the pipe in the jack receiver. It has a spring loaded ball on the end so it goes in/out easily.

At the lowest height, it's good for sitting around outside. Please, no elbows on the table.

Or it can be raised by using the twist/lock feature of the pole to cooking/standing height. It would actually go about 6 inches higher if there was any reason to do so. A cocktail bar maybe?

The Westy table arm is not used - the metal mount under the table fits perfectly on the threaded cap of the pole with just the slightest wobble. It's not as stable as your average picnic table, but does alright. Heavier items like a camp stove go directly over the mount for best stability. For uneven ground, I put a stick, rock, shoe, whatever it takes under the rebar pad. It could be mounted on a threaded rod to make it adjustable too. It all weighs around 4 pounds, the 3/4 pipe un-threads for storage. Thought about painting it, but the colors do coordinate with my 80's stripes. My next project: the tripod mount.

“You won't always be the strongest or the fastest, but you can be the toughest”
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready for a new project and I need a table for my BBQ. So, saying the word! More pictures, please!

Think I found the tripod, but I don't see the travel bag. Know some others have it, not sure if this one is better than others for some reason?
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Digital-TG-6660TR-66-...-6660TR%3B

I'm still not getting how it screws on? Did you get lucky and it just fit? Did you remove the screw and put a new one on (reason for allen key)? Then, how'd that bigger screw fit? If it's smaller I could use a washer, not sure about drilling through plastic though..

THANKS! I found this when looking for the side mounting table, but can do this myself!

tam

kamzcab86 wrote:
Thought I'd post this here instead of in the "what I did today" thread.

So, I finally got around to modifying the table stand. Modification entailed redoing it completely. Last trip had the Idea go off in my brain. The tied-to-the-van stand just didn't do for me... at all; it annoyed me greatly.

Henceforth, the outside-away-from-the-van table mount:

Nothing more than a slightly modified relatively cheap camera tripod (in matching gray no less!; and it came with a storage cover).

Now, I/we can eat under the center of the awning using the table, the stand can be placed anywhere, including on uneven ground, etc.

Cool

For anyone interested in copying this idea, here's a parts list:
1 Targus camera tripod (model TG-6660TR; the removable camera mount needs to be, well, removed)
1 M-10, 1.50 bolt (1/2"-3/4" long; I used an Allen head)
1/4" plywood cut into a 4x4" square
4 little screws (1/4" in length)
1 small latch

If anyone wants/needs more detailed photos or instructions, just say the word. Right now, I need to go make a vent grille for someone I should've made weeks ago! Embarassed

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Think I found the tripod, but I don't see the travel bag. Know some others have it, not sure if this one is better than others for some reason?

I'm still not getting how it screws on? Did you get lucky and it just fit? Did you remove the screw and put a new one on (reason for allen key)? Then, how'd that bigger screw fit? If it's smaller I could use a washer, not sure about drilling through plastic though..

A) I bought the tripod at Walmart; storage bag came in the box (tip: if the box states a bag comes with it, open the box in the store to make sure the bag is in the box!).

B) Any tripod can be used provided it either already has a nice size base, or has a base you can adapt a larger platform onto (the latter being what I had to do). As explained above, I removed the little gizmo the camera attaches to and screwed a larger platform onto the tripod base.

C) The table mounts via the aforementioned M-10, 1.50 bolt (length depends on your tripod setup) that you need to buy at a hardware store. I used an Allen head; you can use whatever version you'd like. The bolt stays in place in my setup; you may need/prefer a lock washer, or something similar with yours (be sure to carry the proper tool with you/your table).

Drilling holes in plastic is the easiest thing ever. Just be certain you're drilling in the right place, and start with a small pilot hole.

D) Gotta be honest: Unless I'm traveling alone, I don't use the tripod setup; the Westy's tables are simply too small, and with 3 people both tables need to be inside ('cuz I use my kitchen!). Therefore, when it's more than just me on a trip, this goes along for the ride and has proven to be very much worth it:

Roll-A-Table (used my REI dividend & coupon to get it; just wished it came with a storage bag... one place not to buy it: NRS -- sticker shock is an understatement! Shocked )
2016 Golf GTI S
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Roll-A-Table

And just for the record, this table will just fit inside the Westy with one camp chair opposite the bench seat. It allows us to play larger board games such as Catan or card games like Dominion when it's rainy, windy or too dark. It's tight but it works.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

Roll-A-Table

And just for the record, this table will just fit inside the Westy with one camp chair opposite the bench seat. It allows us to play larger board games such as Catan or card games like Dominion when it's rainy, windy or too dark. It's tight but it works.

I have had this table for over nine years. Wonderful purchase.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:

Ha! Rob, the next time we're camped near one another we're playing Catan. I love that game, though my wife still beats me every time. Embarassed
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just curious - What happens to these rigid table mounts when they are set up and you step in and out of the van? The van moves up and down as you get in and out. It seems like the support in the jack mount would bend or the height adjustment would slip. Has anyone had a problem with what they've made in that scenario?
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

Just curious - What happens to these rigid table mounts when they are set up and you step in and out of the van? The van moves up and down as you get in and out. It seems like the support in the jack mount would bend or the height adjustment would slip. Has anyone had a problem with what they've made in that scenario?

Speaking for myself and my own DIY solution, I use the factory jack so it doesn't bend. This has the double advantage as stabilizing the van in camp.

'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your honesty! It's why I ask. If all I wanted to hear was this was the best idea ever, when it wasn't, there'd be no point in asking! There will always be 3 of us, sometimes 4, sometimes, bigger is just better.
kamzcab86 wrote:

D) Gotta be honest: Unless I'm traveling alone, I don't use the tripod setup; the Westy's tables are simply too small, and with 3 people both tables need to be inside ('cuz I use my kitchen!). Therefore, when it's more than just me on a trip, this goes along for the ride and has proven to be very much worth it:

You mean, the REI one fits, OPEN inside the Vanagon w/ a camp chair? At first I thought you meant that's where you store it, but after I read it 3 times to try and figure out where that was, I re-thought it! LOL
singler3360 wrote:

Did you *do* something to that jack?
zippyslug31 wrote:

Speaking for myself and my own DIY solution, I use the factory jack so it doesn't bend. This has the double advantage as stabilizing the van in camp.

Think mine looks more like this one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1481852

THANK YOU everyone! After reading that you guys preferred the REI one, I happen to notice a similar CT one, which happened to be on sale, starting today! I'm a sucker for a sale and for $30, just bought it with a gift card I had!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/...?locale=en

It's 5" in each direction smaller, but also $50 cheaper and free w/ the gift card I had anyway! I suspect that it's not as nice either and probably won't last as long, but I want so many things right now, I can live with cheap for a few years and then replace things as they break w/ the higher quality version. The CT one, also came with a little cheap piece of junk, too thin, flimsy already has a hole in it carrying bag. Dancing So, now I can wait for that to fall apart before I sew a new one. Have 3 other things I want to sew next! LOL
http://www.rei.com/product/378009/camp-time-roll-a-table

And, for the record, mine fits nicely, upright, in the closet, along with the other table tops. Now that I'm almost done filling the cabinets, I'll probably put the back table, back on, so it doesn't take up space. It'll also keep the kids out of the cupboard I put the junk food in! LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

You mean, the REI one fits, OPEN inside the Vanagon w/ a camp chair? At first I thought you meant that's where you store it, but after I read it 3 times to try and figure out where that was, I re-thought it! LOL

Tam, it fits open, barely. Once everyone is settled in, it comfortable. Not a bad option in a pinch. We are a family of three, four may not be possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: