Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TRW Steering Box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lehmberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could find an original VW steering box. I'm on my THIRD TRW box, and they're pathetic. The first one I put in would not adjust tight and there was 2-3" of play in the steering wheel. I put a second one in, and was able to adjust it down appropriately. It worked for a week, then started making noise in a specific spot so I had to pull it too. Then the third TRW box, I put in and could literally turn the wheel more than an 1/8 of a turn before the pittman arm would move (at all). These things are awful. I'm looking for another solution.

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
It fits the hole perfectly, but it's just not quite deep enough, so you have to kind of hold it in halfway.

Why not just grind down the threaded side until it fits in there just right. Use it as a stop basically.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mykidsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they answer, im thinking of getting a new box. same reason
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. My '67 suffers from at least 1-2" of play in steering wheel. All else is good. I would like to use the original box (still have it) but it is worn out.
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I put one in my '62 a couple of years back...it still feels fantastic. Bad batch, maybe?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was replaced close to a year ago. Could be a bad batch. You would think QC is done.
lehmberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lehmberg wrote:
I wish I could find an original VW steering box. I'm on my THIRD TRW box, and they're pathetic. The first one I put in would not adjust tight and there was 2-3" of play in the steering wheel. I put a second one in, and was able to adjust it down appropriately. It worked for a week, then started making noise in a specific spot so I had to pull it too. Then the third TRW box, I put in and could literally turn the wheel more than an 1/8 of a turn before the pittman arm would move (at all). These things are awful. I'm looking for another solution.

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
It fits the hole perfectly, but it's just not quite deep enough, so you have to kind of hold it in halfway.

Why not just grind down the threaded side until it fits in there just right. Use it as a stop basically.

I finally went and ordered an NOS box I found here on Samba. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. Talked to two guys who do nothing but work on Beetles.... both have had the same experience with TRW steering boxes. Avoid them at all costs. Use a good VW box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PASHN8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved? Smile

http://airkewld.biz/products-page/chassis-parts/pro-built-steering-box/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 11-Window Split Bus
1954 3-fold Sunroof Oval Beetle

*** Looking for '56 Porsche T1 356A 1300 engine no. 22373 ***
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
PlacerPuma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Installed my TRW box today Reply with quote

Wanted to add my two cents worth, just installed my new TRW steering box, it is worse then the steering box I took out.
What a waste of time and money. Brick wall

Vendors, stop selling this crap. Shame on you
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed my TRW box today Reply with quote

PlacerPuma wrote:
Wanted to add my two cents worth, just installed my new TRW steering box, it is worse then the steering box I took out.
What a waste of time and money. Brick wall

Vendors, stop selling this crap. Shame on you

I was ignorant of aftermarket issues when I replaced my box, but chose a good used one at the time because it was cheaper. Sooo glad I did!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is quite a turn-around in quality from TRW as compared to the feedback from when I bought my TRW box about 5-6 years ago. At the time my source told me he gets maybe one return a year and he sells a dozen or more in that time. I haven't talked to him recently, though.

Mine was tight at first, and after just a few thousand miles (and 5-6 years) I recently tightened up the top screw a fraction of a turn, and it drives like new now.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like their quality went down the toilet. The TRW box in my 62 has done well for me. The one in my Baja - not quite as good but with adjustment it's been OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a new TRW box. My old OEM one was so loose that the steering wheel had 8"-10" of play at the steering wheel. Its been 2 weeks of everyday-driving, and the new box is great.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
DieSchnelleKafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay noob here. i have got a trw box installed on my oval and even new it had a very exxessive amount of play. i thought i would be a super hero and use the adjusment screw at the top of box to try and get rid of the play. anyway cut a long story short i messed the adjustment up so bad the box doesnt even move at all now, the adjustment screw isnt movng in or out. wwhat have i done?
DieSchnelleKafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i realise now that i had just made the mistake of tightening it to much at the wrong steering position. it has now got very little play and isnt binding. thanks
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new steering box I just got is a TRW from Wolfsburg West. I plan to install it tomorrow morning. When I turn the input shaft by hand (the longer skinnier shaft), the output shaft on the bottom (where the pitman arm goes) does not spin. Im not sure if this is an issue or not though. Maybe something changes once its actually bolted to the car and connected to everything? Know anything about that?
Culito

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
The new steering box I just got is a TRW from Wolfsburg West. I plan to install it tomorrow morning. When I turn the input shaft by hand (the longer skinnier shaft), the output shaft on the bottom (where the pitman arm goes) does not spin. Im not sure if this is an issue or not though. Maybe something changes once its actually bolted to the car and connected to everything? Know anything about that?

It should definitely turn. Call WW, let them know the situation so you can exchange it.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Damn, there goes my plans to get it back on the road this weekend. I guess Ill call WW later today. Thanks for the reply.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:

It should move but very slowly since the gear ratio is high. A couple of full turns of the input shaft results in only about 45(?) degrees of movement of the output shaft.
warnergt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy on ebay selling a tool that will work the big steering box adjuster.
Search for:
Suzuki GSXR 600 24mm Allen Wrench Axle Tool
They are going for $8.50.

bushman14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Older boxes with the single metal threaded fill plug use oil. Later boxes with the two plastic plugs use grease.

Yes, and the new TRW definately qualifies as the latter, it comes filled with that special "liquid grease" and plastic plugs on top. Here's the factory specs on that grease

Just a detail note...many sellers stock this as "pourable grease". I just used some on an Austin Healey, have yet to open the box on the bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: