Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
now this, this is likely to be a good deal for someone out in the midwest.

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=...CH_RESULTS

on copart, with a current bid of 175, and only a few days left, 1990 7 passenger, the old 2.1 sitting in the van, looks like a suby was just installed, the engine compartment is still so clean, and then there was a fairly minor accident to the passenger side right behind the slider.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the conversion does not look finished (coil and relay box are where the subi MAF should go, not to mention the paint on the manifold,
never the less I try buying this a few months ago (up to $2200 and no sale) but transport and fees killed it for me

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might go check it out this afternoon???

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3837514497.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered about the "Selling for someone" else angle... and sitting for the last 3 years, probably not NON OP'd, so add another $300 or so in DMV back fees. Add to this the fact seller says it has drum brakes all around, I thought they they had front disc brakes... and the fact they wrote a story about a van that may need to be towed... can't drive it don't buy it. unless you have the bank roll to fix what ever it needs.

Looks great in the pictures... but it is CL.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It does seem to be expensive just to get it legal. It does look great in pics tho.. haha
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3827618489.html

I have been looking at this one also. thoughts? Thanks for helping out TequilaSunSet!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillon schuh wrote:

Looks like a good candidate for an engine conversion! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
dillon schuh wrote:

Looks like a good candidate for an engine conversion! Wink

Agree Very Happy

On the cusp of needing mucho engine work/attention
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
texas999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: I've been looking into a 96 Eurovan camper on craigslist Reply with quote

----Update 6/6---
I did get a callback from the guy in davis, though due to work I couldn't get to Davis until today. In addition, the owner has put up ads again on craigslist, with the price down to $7855 and actually put up pictures: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/3843863463.html
And it turns out is isn't registered in California.

I'm meeting the guy in a couple of hours, but I looked at the van; pretty obvious it hasn't been driven recently, quite a few spider webs in the wheel wells and such. Several inch long crack in the windshield. Exit valve for the greywater tank missing; exhaust vent covers broken off; and some kind of oil leak on the drivers side of the engine;
The owner had said a transmission leak had been fixed recently;

So I'll check out the interior and give it a drive in a couple of hours and see how it goes..... If it seems ok, I'll look at finding a VW shop in Davis to check it out - anyone know a good shop in Davis, CA?

--- Original post -----
The ad has expired now (and I forgot to make a copy of it).... I'm leaning to it being a weird scam of some sort right now.

Basically the ad was for a camper in supposedly good condition but with 220K highway miles for only $10K. The only picture in the ad was from 4 years before according to the ad, which is strange enough....

I contacted the guy, says he he is in Alaska and his friend in Davis has the van and he emails that I can see the van anytime, it is near the health club on Pole Line road. It is in a town an hour away, so I ask for an actual address but he never replies so I forget about it. Also he says he has no pictures of the van other than the 4 year old one?! The name and phone number he gives for himself is for a guy with a helicopter filming business in Alaska, so is being consistent there at least.

Then he emails back a few days later asking if I went to Davis and contacted his friend so I say how could I with no info! Then he emails back a phone number saying the previous email he sent the night before must have been lost. I emailed him back saying I was too busy this week to get to Davis, he emails back no problem but I should note that he lowered the sale price; but didn't say what the new prices is. And he hasn't reposted the ad.

Googling the phone number does map to a guy with that first name in Davis with several addresses near that location (but not close enough one would ever see the van by just driving around!). So I call it and of course no answer so left a message but so far no call back.

Very odd! I'll see if I get a call back or not; If it isn't a scam of some sort it is a strange way to sell a car!

Last edited by texas999 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3840922898.html

Sad old thing needs a home.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

tam

Not a Vanagon or Eurovan.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, sorry, totally forgot buses had their own board!

tam

gl98115 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

tam

Not a Vanagon or Eurovan.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
cats_r_cute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://roseburg.craigslist.org/cto/3810944563.html

Does this seem like a good deal or not? Its supposed to have a brand new 2L aircooled rebuild from Headflow Masters (who i know nothing about). Converted to carburator, Owner says its great, runs perfectly. He said it has a non-running overhead AC unit that sits above the front seats.. I have never seen those and wonder if it will look ugly or strange.

I'm asking you guys about the rebuild and improvements because I'm driving 6 hours to view it and its a long way to go. He's a nice guy on the phone. I just wonder if anyone has any thoughts about those repairs and upgrades. I'm not a mechanic. I have owned a westy but not aircooled. I love the paint and the rebuild claims.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a $2K Syncro with a V8?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Volkswagen-Van...22c8#v4-41

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
How about a $2K Syncro with a V8?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Volkswagen-Van...22c8#v4-41

Anybody here on the Samba bidding on this?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The motor does protrude slightly from the rear of the sheetmetal but as you can see, not by much.

I almost missed that minor mod it is so well done Shocked I love the disconnected radiator hose next to the porsche license plate too Shocked
I would bid except that I expect the tranny is smoked unless they never got it to run since the cooling system isn't plumbed.

I could definitely use that slider door for my van though...
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this line:

"The motor does protrude slightly from the rear of the sheetmetal but as you can see, not by much."

And this of course. ..

"We installed a trailer hitch to protect the motor from shopping carts"

Classic
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
doulos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help.

My wife and I have wanted one for over a decade. Getting close to having the cash to do it.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/3844570621.html

What do I need to ask? To look for? To dig deep and know if this is a turd or a diamond in the rough?

Thanks so much.

Oh...btw...total newb here to the forums. Hope to be a regular asking all kinds of Q's once we get our hands on one.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I like this line:

"The motor does protrude slightly from the rear of the sheetmetal but as you can see, not by much."

And this of course. ..

"We installed a trailer hitch to protect the motor from shopping carts"

Classic

Posting all of the text in case the link goes away. Why should we all be deprived if it suddenly sells?

Everybody loves the roomy VW Vanagon except for the anemic 2.1 flat four that can barely muster enough power to get out of its own way. Much less when you add passengers, and a roof rack full of bicycles, and turn on the AC. You'd be lucky to hit 45 mph with a tailwind.
So what would dad do? (Dad is an all time Porsche guru) Dad would shoehorn in a 1987 Porsche 928S V8 into the back. Best of both worlds! Room, and absurd amounts of power!
The van still retains the 4wd syncro benefit, the transmission has been built using the tallest gear ratio possible and hardened gears and upgraded differential by AA Transaxle so the engine is turning smoothly at 70 mph and not spinning its guts out.
The motor does protrude slightly from the rear of the sheetmetal but as you can see, not by much. We installed a trailer hitch to protect the motor from shopping carts and parking bumps, things of that nature.
The rear decklid has been modified to allow for the taller motor so you can still motor comfortably throughout the countryside without intoxicating yourself on fumes.
Of course the interior has been fitted with Porsche seats (out of a 968), steering wheel (from a 944S2) and wheels from a 928. (the rears are the phone dial style, unfortunately in storage the matching flat disc style were lost.)

The van also comes with the Euro sport front bumper, OEM VW fender flares, extra misc parts like electric window regulator/motor and a few bins of extra Vanagon odds and ends. Brake pads, CV joints... things of that nature. Dad also printed out large electrical schematics of his modifications to the wiring system so you will get the schematics of all electrical so there is no 'home brew' guessing if you have an electrical issue in the future. The VW chassis wiring is stock, the Porsche motor wiring is stock, Dad documented the joining of these two systems with great detail so it would be easy for me to run, and own.

Now for the bad part.
I live in California. Normally that is a good thing but in the instance of vehicle engine swaps California leaves a lot to be desired.
I have tried and tried to get the DMV to register the van but they are stuck in the dark ages and will not allow me to register it because VW never offered this motor in their van. Even though it passes smog for a 1987 928, (it even passes emissions for a 1986 Vanagon syncro!) they don't care. I gave up 6 years ago, the van went into storage and now its time to move on.
The batteries are ruined, they will need to be replaced. The motor turns over just fine but you'll want to empty the 1/4 tank of old gas before you fire her up.
The motor is block #M28/42.

Comes with a clean title, no surprises.
Located in Hollister if you want to come see it.
The van will need to be towed as it does not run. I put the batteries on a charger overnight but they hold zero charge.
I will offer to deliver the van within 1000 miles from 95037 for $.60 per mile.
Google maps your zip to my zip, multiply that mileage by $.60 and there is your delivery fee.
Delivery will only be after payment and delivery fee has been paid.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Springfield westfalia. This part of the forum is more for vanagon west alias. You would get a better response by posing in the bus part. I like the vanagon s better than the busses. Wider, better on the highway, heaters and some have ac that works. But plent of opinions both ways. Good luck!
doulos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
Re the Springfield westfalia. This part of the forum is more for vanagon west alias. You would get a better response by posing in the bus part. I like the vanagon s better than the busses. Wider, better on the highway, heaters and some have ac that works. But plent of opinions both ways. Good luck!

This is how much of a VW noob I am...is it a Split Bus - Barndoor, Split Bus, Bay Window Bus? Clueless. Sorry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 148 of 327

Jump to: