Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reflectix Window Treatment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reflectix Window Treatment Reply with quote

We stole a great idea from Shadetreetim for some reflectix window covers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Never mind why the van is being drug into a trailer Embarassed Just look at how clean and neat the window covers fit into place. Materials needed to do all windows except the windshield include.
24" x 25' reflectix $24.00
60 - 5mm x 10mm Cylinders from apexmagnets.com $30.00
1 roll HVAC Tape
These all fit under your back cushion when not on your windows.
Obviously, getting them cut to size is the biggest issue. This leads to the main reason for this post. can anybody think of a way the pattern can be easily shared electronically, then they can be sent to copy copy for printing? We're not looking to make a profit, just want to save somebody a lot of headaches if they would like to make a set of these. We have the pattern, just wondering how to share it Idea
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my brother's van he used reflectix on all the side & rear window
he installed snaps to mount them in place.
sorry we didn't make a template just cut to fit w/scissors.
used a econo snap set avail from any craft or bigbox hardware store.
I'd recommend a small fabric tag under each snap to help minimize pull out. but they've been very sturdy and stay in place on doors when you open to get at something, keeps the interior very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Magnets Reply with quote

I saw a guy with the magnet set up at Syncro Solstice. I think it is definitely the way to go. Much easier to attach to the windows and much easier to take down.

I just ordered my magnets this week.
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cam-scanner app for my android phone, you take a pic of whatever, it converts it to a pdf file. you can edit it anyway you want, great for documents, blue prints, whatever.

I know you can get something for those iphone thingys too Wink

hope that helps - I was planning on something like what you have on the side windows too. I always put one on my windshield to cut down on heat and save my dash too. they really make a difference on hot sunny days.

I would definitely like to get your pattern. Smile
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I'd recommend a small fabric tag under each snap to help minimize pull out.

Definitely do this, I just pulled one of my snaps out last week Sad

I used grommets and suction cup hooks for mine, been decent but I really wanted stud mount suction cups but couldn't any cheap ones to work.

And one roll gave me everything to cover all windows except the front windshield!
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he installed snaps to mount them in place.

With the magnets, we just kinda throw them up. No need to fiddle with snaps or drill holes to install the snaps.
Quote:
I saw a guy with the magnet set up at Syncro Solstice

That was probably us scottkjk
Quote:
I have a cam-scanner app for my android phone, you take a pic of whatever, it converts it to a pdf file.

I'm going to install that and give it a try. Thanks
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, where are your magnets on the van? I cut my reflectix to sit flush in the window so I glued little neodymium magnets to the window glass. Super glue didn't last the cold winter and most of the magnets fell off. I'll try again with rear-view mirror glue unless there's a better way to attach the magnets and in a better spot than on the glass.

I was at SS but didn't bring the Reflectix since it wasn't supposed to be too cold or too hot.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:
Tom, where are your magnets on the van? I cut my reflectix to sit flush in the window so I glued little neodymium magnets to the window glass. Super glue didn't last the cold winter and most of the magnets fell off. I'll try again with rear-view mirror glue unless there's a better way to attach the magnets and in a better spot than on the glass.

I was at SS but didn't bring the Reflectix since it wasn't supposed to be too cold or too hot.

FWIW, I found 10-packs of very little rare earth magnets at Harbor Freight for only a couple of bucks. Couldn't find the really small ones on the web site, but they work fine for holding up the reflectix.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom, where are your magnets on the van?

We didn't mount any magnets to the van. We just taped them to the Reflectix and they stick to the van body around the windows.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronicity wrote:
Quote:

We didn't mount any magnets to the van. We just taped them to the Reflectix and they stick to the van body around the windows.

Hmmm, wish I would've checked out your setup at SS. I tried that at first and my front door windows are like that but on many of the windows it would sag too much and not hold the reflectix to the glass well.

Pics of your panels showing the tape would be helpful. Going back to your original post about patterns. Similar to what SL1 said, I have an iPhone app called "My Measures" that lets you take a photo and then annotate it up with measurements. Here's a quick one I did of some measurements behind my driver seat for a kitchen pod.
*DON'T trust those measurements, I didn't have a metric ruler and I added some fudge factor on some of them.

rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used packing tape on the magnets to the reflectix.have put on and taken off at least 50 times.no problem
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the hijack, but I used good suction cups, making a tiny slit and then forcing the back through that by determined force. Placed away from the radius of each window's corners, and with the covers a half inch bigger than the window, this strategy means the covers are held tightly against the borders of the window. Which in turn means there is a very tight seal and no light leakage. On a sunny day it is virtually black inside my vehicle. Also, placed correctly, the covers on the sliders allow the sliders to be opened, and also the crank down front windows to be cracked with the covers still in place.

Worth considering. These covers are worth making. Carry on.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you source the good suction cups?
Thanks.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Magnets Reply with quote

Surprised

Thanks for the guide book hookup. That run through Long Canyon before we went home was EPIC!

Magnets are the only way to go... I'm glad I saw yours... especially after my wife kept complaining about snagging here clothes on the velcro patches I had stuck to the windows to hold our shades up.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about magnets around the perimeter, plus one suction
cup in the middle to keep it tight to the window...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really dislike the suction cups. Too cold they wouldn't stick, too wet they wouldn't stick, too dry they wouldn't stick, got deformed while stored and wouldn't stick, left spit rings on all the windows. I have heard that some people have had great luck with them. Maybe I got a bad batch.
We made the covers for the sliders so that the magnets align to fold them back to open the slider.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the clear suction cups at Home Despot. They work ideally. I've got covers I made 4 years ago for another vehicle and it has been in both desert conditions and also in very cold winter camping temps of night/day 5/18 ranges with nary a flop. My experience is with clean windows and clean suction cups it's fool proof.

Regarding the lineup of magnets to flip a flap rearward. I actually spaced my suction cups so that the window shade remains fully in place at full size, but BEHIND it we could open the sliders. So you retained full privacy but could get constant air exchange. I like your idea as well, just wanted to clarify thats how I did it. My girls would not want even a slit open, which I knew and it worked. All I did was mound the suction cups in the corners of the moving window part an extra inch away from the edge that would be open. Then you open the window a slit and the suction cups grab the window and you're done. The edge of the window shade was also available to grab and intentionally buckle if you wanted more air exchange.

I also put little paper labels on mine "driver's vent" "rear hatch", etc for quick install by flashlight. Ah man, I've gotta get out camping...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcook52459 wrote:
I just used packing tape on the magnets to the reflectix.have put on and taken off at least 50 times.no problem

same here

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hate suction cups. Plus I really don't want to take them off the reflective blankets when packing them and if I leave the suction cups in place in the blankets they take more space if you want to pack the blankets compact. The magnets don't give you that problem.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look good Tom. When I saw your Syncro in the pictures from Syncro Solstice I wondered if you had sourced any magnets yet.

syncromike wrote:
Syncronicity wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm, wish I would've checked out your setup at SS. I tried that at first and my front door windows are like that but on many of the windows it would sag too much and not hold the reflectix to the glass well.

You just need a magnet every 8 inches or so and they won't sag. That and the fit needs to be just right to lay the magnets naturally along the metal.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: