Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
you do when the VW is broke down in the middle of nowhere and youve got nuthin to drink!

I broke down with a G-30 one ton trruck in the middle of the Arizona desert. The lug nuts had been put on by King Kong and had to call assistance to remove them.

I fixed that as soon as I got to civilization.

Fortunately it was 106, but we had shade and water, my older friend was having problems.

My other contribution: a cotton rug to use to lay under the vehicle and trap all the small parts that fall.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to get a chromoly gland nut to replace the standard one that is in there. I guess that I should also carry a torque wrench good for 360 ft lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:
I am going to get a chromoly gland nut to replace the standard one that is in there. I guess that I should also carry a torque wrench good for 360 ft lbs.

Sam, given your penchant for adventure, your parts and spares kit needs to be on a whole different level! Very Happy
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see,
I am going to the Classic in Orange county this weekend, and plan to go to VIntage meet in July.

I will also visit my cousin in BC so plan on 4,000 miles in the next moth or so.[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151660877430909&set=a.95499460908.85476.696325908&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:

I have several 0-600 lbs-ft torque wrenches for sale, if you need one.

100.00 plus shipping.

Not Chinese junk, but CDI- Snap-On industrial quality.

let me know.
safariboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain

I posted that initial topic. Your response was great. While others goof a little. We all know that with the right supplies, we won't be calling triple A when we are 1000 miles into Baja. Thanks for your input.

Almost have my 74 on the ground running. 2 more weeks Woooo Hooo!
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread new tool...

Ive been looking at these for a while now and finally bought one a few weeks ago. Last week a contractor lost his battery charge out front of the shop. He had a Dodge Diesel 2500. I hooked this little guy up and it cranked it over really easy. Great tool for charging cell phones and other modern electronic tools. Oh did I mention 600 crank amps! One Bad Ass little tool. I wont go out off roading without it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares? Reply with quote

What about spare battery clamps or a way to fix a broken battery cable?

I've recently noticed my + side is cracked, if that came off, broke, etc,
I'd hope I had a pair of lock joint pliers or a c clamp or something to hold the connection to the battery.

Duct tape may work in a pinch, need a knife to peel the cable to get a connection or a hose clamp maybe.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Armadillo1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares? Reply with quote

For a newbie this is great reading. Not a Thing owner but came very close to trading an ailing 74 mustang for one back in the day. Wish I would have. My neighbor is in to the 4X4 truck stuff and I know space is cramped on these but he said to get a sheet of 1 inch plywood(cheap stuff is ok) cut is 24 inches wide down the middle. Now you have two long sheets. He said to get some cheap brush paint and douse it good on both sides. Douse it good again on one side and while wet pour dry sand all over it. Let it dry and douse that side again. He uses them to slide under the tires when stuck to help it crawl out. I think I would make them shorter for something the size of a VW and maybe cut some one inch holes along it to help the tire get a grip. Like I say new to this but every little bit helps. You could probably prop one up on two logs and make a nice bed too. LOL
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares? Reply with quote

Link

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares? Reply with quote

Well in addition to most of the stuff & tools listed I carry a spare pulley, coil, jackstand,fuel pump..u I've driven to , 28 states & only once when I put in a new pump did I have to be towed. The lever failed. One week after warrenty ended. I also have a syzers Jack.Good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: