Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy Duty lower balljoints?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jensjakob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty lower balljoints? Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone explain me what is needed to install heavy duty lower balljoints in a 1983 T25?

Is it just wear and tear - and maybe a little sanding here and there - or does a machineshop need to be involved and a large drill or even a lathe?

I can see that the HD lower balljoints are 48.5 mm diameter. But what are the norma lower balljoints in diameter?

Best regards

Jens Jakob

Telebus: 1985 Vanagon, 1.9 DG engine, 4 gear
Ms Grey: 1983 Vanagon, Golf III 1995 1.8i 9hp engine - 5 gear
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a press. We used a torch and an air hammer to remove them. We removed the boot on the new one, made a tool and were able to press the new ones in. I don't think there is room for a conventional universal ball joint tool to get in there. We made a tool similar to the one in the Bentley manual from a peice of exhaust pipe. Pain in the butt. Normally I would never apply torch heat to a suspension peice, but that was the only way it was coming out.
jensjakob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Press. Indeed. Did them last year. Broke one hydraulic press Wink

But - do you have any idea of the diameter of the normal lower balljoint?

And how much grinding is needed to make room for the oversized HD version (48,5 mm diameter)?

Happy driVWing

Jens Jakob

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who makes the "heavy duty" version? Those things are such a pain to replace that any increase in durability would be great. seems like they're normally god until to boot tears though, so i'm not sure how much is really gained.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to adapt the spindles for a larger ball joint, you'd probably have to have the larger ones in hand and a machinist would need to machine out the ID. It is an interference fit and is actually a little bigger than the hole. I don't think grinding is an option. The taper end would not be as big a deal. Post a link to the ball joints you have in mind. Christopher at T-3 Technique knows about as much as any member here about suspension. The other question would be is something causing them to prematurely fail? Did you fit grease fittings in the replacement ones?

Last edited by MarkWard on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jensjakob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD are made by Meyle.

I am researching in German forums, and some like the Myle HD - some says that they dont last.

jensjakob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this information:
http://www.meyle.com/_download/technical_data/DE/LL_04-2008_de.pdf

Normal balljoint is 48.2 mm.
The Meyle HD is 48.5 mm.

But it doesnt say anything more than that.

Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the Meyle HD ball joints are just marketing. Do they actually say "heavy duty" or just "HD"? They should be stock replacements although you'd have to check dimensions to be sure. It wouldn't machine the spindle oversize to accept larger than stock ball joints as you'd weaken the spindle, there isn't a ton of extra material there. Most ball joints last until the boot tears, then dirt gets in there and they fail quickly. Probably not much to be gained with oversize ones.

Meyle quality is hit and mis. There is no way to tell where the part is made as they just have stuf made where ever the labor costs are lowest. They stamp "Meyle Germany" on the parts made for german cars but I bought some brake parts for a jeep and it said "Meyle USA" and then on some sticker "made in china" some stuff lasts and some fails right away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: