Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trials and tribs of buying used engines
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: trials and tribs of buying used engines Reply with quote

a month back I picked up a used engine from a 79 bus, as a few months back I picked up a 79 bus with no engine. (well, no case, but it came with the heads and P&C from a few year old rebuild by a quality shop with quality parts)

Here is the used motor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ive been slowly cleaning it up to throw in this bus, and I decided to do the pushrod tube seals as a few of them were leaking.

I hadn't carefully inspected the underside of the motor yet, when I found my first snag:

First, the stud on the left is bent, so ill have to try and remove that one to replace it (or beat it back into shape, in place)

But that other stud, on the right in this shot, is broken off just before that staggered bit of threads would appear. There was about 2 turns of thread barely showing on there, so I stuck a nut on there and smeared some JB Weld onto it. Im assuming that i'll just end up spinning the nut free of the JB Weld when I try it, so how the H do I extract that stud from the head with no threads showing? have someone come over and weld the nut to the stud and then try wrenching it off?

I figured I may as well start the pushrod tube seals while I figure out what to do with this exhaust stud, and that's when I noticed this hiding under the rocker assembly:

Crying or Very sad

my heart sank when I saw this. it's probably a whole GEX motor, or at the very least one of their heads. it's too bad since the motor is actually pretty clean otherwise. now im half tempted to just pull these stupid heads and swap on the known good ones I have in a box on the shelf. Maybe even swap out the P@C while im at it with the other set from the good build. Both motors were from 79 busses, so they both have hydraulic lifters and matching cam.
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a small pipe wrench onto it? There are also stud removal sockets that work great for jobs like that. Probably a wise investment for working on 30+ yo motors.

Don't forget to give it some hearty taps with hammer on the top of the stud to help break the thread's bite (if you don't have heat).
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the nut welded to the head the stud will get vwery hot and expand. when it gets cool it will contract more than the aluminum and come out very easy.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrench didn't fit well, and the smoothness of the stud without threads was impossible to get a tight enough grasp onto.
Ive been hitting it with penetrating fluid for a few days now.

I finally went out and hacksawed a slit in it and then used my impact screwdriver and the BFH to back it out 1/8th of a turn at a time. Once I was about halfway out I could just muscle it the rest of the way with my big screwdriver.

It was such a release to finally get that sucker out of there - it was like I finally had a BM after a week of being plugged.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
It was such a release to finally get that sucker out of there - it was like I finally had a BM after a week of being plugged.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank you for the full disclosure.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to wipe well....
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those type IV engines are tough. I wouldnt discount it yet just because GEX had a hand on it. They probably just put fresh bearings and rings in it and sent it on its way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: