Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing 1967 12 volt 1500 in a 1965 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Installing 1967 12 volt 1500 in a 1965 bug Reply with quote

Can anyone list the issues and changes that go along with instaling a 12 volt 1500cc engine in a 1965 bug? Some things are obvious but these swaps alway end up having a few hidden surprises that make the change more than just interesting. I read somewhere the 1967 engine compartment was larger than the earlier editions so fit and tin is one concern, along with the electrical conversion. Any thought and help from experience would be appreciated.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flywheel is 4mm larger in diameter, you'll need to clearance for it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236246&

And you'll need a 12V starter to match the flywheel and a 6-12 conversion bushing.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D5765

The cooling tin from a 67 engine should fit the 65 engine compartment fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: More questions regarding 67 Engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks for your knowledge. The engine I am considering is complete with tin and all externals (including flywheel) except for exhaust. I am really not interested in altering my trans unless that is the only option. Is retaining the 6 volt system a viable option on a 1500cc motor or is that just stupid? Glad to hear the engine fit should be fine.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: More questions regarding 67 Engine swap Reply with quote

DeVertible wrote:
Is retaining the 6 volt system a viable option on a 1500cc motor or is that just stupid?

The 6 volt flywheel won't fit on the 1500 crank... at least it wouldn't work on my friends 64. We just did the swap on his car, no big deal to modify the trans as Glut suggested. You can only see the mods inside the trans, not visible from the outside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was working on VWs, we sold ATK/Vege remanufactured engines that came with the late O-ring style flywheel. Their installation book said you could use a 6V flywheel on their engines - I wish I had one of those booklets around actually, I'd scan and post it. I think it said to use the metal sealing washer between crank and flywheel and reset the endplay. ATK had a pretty good 1-year/12K warranty and I don't think they'd have allowed this kind of thing if it wasn't OK. I have to add though, that we never actually had to do it.

Now, putting an O-ring flywheel onto the early "step" crankshaft, now that is a no-no!

Actually, the last few months of 1966 production used an 109-tooth, 180mm-clutch flywheel with the O-ring crankshaft/flywheel... but those aren't exactly easy to come by.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes less than an hour to make the larger flywheel fit into your early transmission. Here's what my '63 trans looked like - the shiny spots are all that need the touching up, not the entire transmission.

Install the engine and flywheel until it touches. Remove all spark plugs from the engine and turn it with a wrench/ratchet until it leaves score marks. Back the engine out and remove the material. It may take a cooupla' times to get the flywheel to spin without hitting the transaxle. I used a flap wheel on a 4" grinder and a Dremel with a small spiral cutter to get rid of very little material.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: