Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type-4 heat shield
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Tom!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
My CHT's (DD) are running the same as before I installed my heat shield this spring.

I wouldn't expect to find much difference in the head temps, heat shield or no. What I would expect to find and have found is a difference in how long the foam gasket lasts.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

Just throwing another idea out there but wouldn't header tape wrapping the muffler be a better way of keeping the heat in the muffler and while your at it wrap the entire heater boxes and pipes.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
Just throwing another idea out there but wouldn't header tape wrapping the muffler be a better way of keeping the heat in the muffler and while your at it wrap the entire heater boxes and pipes.

if you do some searching you will find that the biggest complaint about header tape is that it causes massive rust due to trapped moisture. I have no experience with it as we always ran our headers bare, but there are hundreds of articles and posts from people who say the rust is real.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Muffler Heat Shield Dimensions Reply with quote

72+ Muffler Heat Shield Dimensions
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: 039 119 227 type 4 exhaust heat shield Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Figured I'd post this here for posterity instead of starting a thread. Just got my heat shield from CIP1, so here are some crappy flip phone photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Was kind of surprised to see a Jopex Group sticker on there. I'm wondering if these are new production or old stock of something they no longer make?
The quality looks ok, thick gauge metal, welds on the brackets, etc.

Th one thing I noticed right away was in the pics I've seen of the OG shields it looks like two pieces of metal, with insulation or something between, and one side folded over the other, then spot welded. This piece looks to be just two identical pieces of metal with many spot welds all the way around, doesn't look to have that insulation between the two. Comes with thee old shop wear resistant paint on it. I will strip, paint with VHT and bake ASAP.

Anyways, here are the part numbers:
OG VW: 039 119 227
Jopex/JP Group: 8182600500
Barcode sku: 5710412426361
Made in Denmark

We'll see how it installs/holds up! I was just glad to find one!
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

I took mine out yesterday and as expected it has lots of surface rust. I am going with more parts to a place where you media blast yourself. My concern is what is inside between the layers of metal sheet? Is that some sort of asbestos?
And if it is, Is it safe to media blast (of course assuming I wont be blasting directly into the gap) in enclosed blasting box?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

Martaskukla wrote:
I took mine out yesterday and as expected it has lots of surface rust. I am going with more parts to a place where you media blast yourself. My concern is what is inside between the layers of metal sheet? Is that some sort of asbestos?
And if it is, Is it safe to media blast (of course assuming I wont be blasting directly into the gap) in enclosed blasting box?

When I redid mine I just left the stuff out. In this particular instance I doubt the bit of extra insulation makes much difference. Hot air is going to get above the heat shield no matter what so all the shield can do is block the radiant heat.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about asbestos killing you. The cabinet ventilates into a filter system and you shouldn't be exposed to it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

Found this useful thread when I discovered that my heat shield had corroded to the point where if 'fell off' the left hand tin screw and was resting on the muffler. Lots of great info and debate regarding whether or not to have one. I decided that I would trust the VW engineers.

The only bit of information that I want to add to this thread (just in case anyone else is looking to find out as I did search everywhere to no avail - including Bentley) is how to remove said shield with the engine in situ. At first I thought that I would have to remove the muffler, but as Atwell states, the nuts are a bear to remove. I then figured out that all you need to do is remove the three tin pieces from above and then easily remove the heat shield. I feel like a stable genius. It should have been an easy task except the PO at some point used gasket sealer on the tin surfaces.

Last edited by The Fez on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

The Fez wrote:
Found this useful thread when I discovered that my heat shield had corroded to the point where if 'fell off' the left hand tin screw and was resting on the muffler. Lots of great info and debate regarding whether or not to have one. I decided that I would trust the VW engineers.

The only bit of information that I want to add to this thread (just in case anyone else is looking to find out as I did search everywhere to no avail - including Bentley) is how to remove said shield with the engine in situ. At first I thought that I would have to remove the muffler, but as Atwell states, the nuts are a bear to remove. I then figured out that all you need to do is remove the three tin pieces from above and then easily remove the heat shield. I feel like a stable genius. It should be an easy task except the PO at some point used gasket sealer on the tin surfaces.

use time warp solvent to roll time back to before the PO put the sealer on. Smile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

There another 6m bolt at the bottom of the pulley dip. The bolt goes vertical from the bottom. With the engine installed with a muffler, it makes getting that bolt out very difficult
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
npalmer76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

My 78 was missing this heat shield and the engine compartment seal when I got it.

I replaced the engine compartment seal of course, but not the heat shield.

Driving around on a hot day, I smelled something funny, like plastic burning and got out and ran to the back to see what was up right quick.

The engine seal was one fire at the lowest point and was melting a hole the plastic fan guard. I was able to rip the engine seal out and toss it away before the whole engine caught fire.

I believe the missing heat shield contributed to the engine seal lighting on fire. Never ever happened on my '77 with the heat shield.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: type-4 heat shield Reply with quote

I’ve seen many missing heat shields that never started a fire. So, maybe you have a non standard exhaust causing this or something else?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: