Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hatch seal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Hatch seal Reply with quote

i just replaced the hatch seal in my 64 bus . im getting exhaust fumes in and figured the fact that there was no seal didnt help. where the button is the seal doesnt really seam right . do i have to trim it a little or is that the way it is?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a seal for a bay window? I used one once in my '65 bus and it is different around the latch and needed some trimming as I recall.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be exhaust getting sucked into the fan from leaks in the tin and apron
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:

but that wouldnt bring the smell inside... would it?
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying that the new seal did help with the fumes, but you are worried about the excess showing, or did the new seal not help with the fumes?

When I bought the seal for my 66, there was a $100 version and a $50 version. I bought the cheaper version of the rear hatch seal (cause I'm cheap), and it fit like your picture is showing. It did keep the fumes out though. But it leaked pretty bad in mild rain or when washing the bus. Mad We went camping a few weeks ago, and were in bad storm and it leaked like crazy, so I got fed up and decided to buy the $100 molded version. It fits correctly around the button/finger recess, but I haven't been back out in the rain, so don't know if that problem is solved yet Laughing .

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demon1018 wrote:
slow36hp wrote:

yes it can. exhaust enters the fresh air of the engine compartment and then is blown into the duct system feeding the passenger compartment
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent drove it yet. ill find out in the morning on the way to work. seems like its sealing it up great its just that part by the button that looked odd. anybody have a pic of what it should look like?
i dont have heat and the shoud is blocked so the fumes aint comin in that way Very Happy
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have that seal installed correctly.

fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the $50 seal, it is installed correctly, that's exactly how mine looked. It's just not pre-molded for the finger recess area, and it doesn't fit in the channel all that well, so the sealing flap kinda hangs down. Every time I opened the hatch, that flap would be in my way, and I'd accidentally pull the seal out every now and then.

Here's a pic of the molded seal. I pulled it out of the channel so you can see how it's shaped to fit.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
demon1018 wrote:
slow36hp wrote:

yes it can. exhaust enters the fresh air of the engine compartment and then is blown into the duct system feeding the passenger compartment

I have this happen once in awhile, and my seals are new and tin work is all in place. I will have to check a little closer to find the problem. Thanks
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
So are you saying that the new seal did help with the fumes, but you are worried about the excess showing, or did the new seal not help with the fumes?

When I bought the seal for my 66, there was a $100 version and a $50 version. I bought the cheaper version of the rear hatch seal (cause I'm cheap), and it fit like your picture is showing. It did keep the fumes out though. But it leaked pretty bad in mild rain or when washing the bus. Mad We went camping a few weeks ago, and were in bad storm and it leaked like crazy, so I got fed up and decided to buy the $100 molded version. It fits correctly around the button/finger recess, but I haven't been back out in the rain, so don't know if that problem is solved yet Laughing .

Weird, I never had water come through my hatch even with no seal installed!
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
fluxcap wrote:

Weird, I never had water come through my hatch even with no seal installed!

Wanna trade hatches??? Laughing It didn't do it in light rain, but moderate to heavy rain, or when washing the bus, I had to open the hatch afterwards and dry it out. Seemed to be sneaking in from the top corners. Hatch fits nicely and no damage or rot around the hatch opening.

demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , maby i can trim it to make it fit a little nicer around the handle. Good news is no more exhaust fumes!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch seal Reply with quote

I purchased a seal by West Coast Metric for 64 to 71. It didn't fit at the latch so I trimmed the back some. No big deal but not the best.

problem is we had heavy rain last night and it leaked at the top center. I noticed it leaked there when washing. Seems like the rubber is not quite thick enough. Hatch is adjusted correctly and seal channel was undamaged. Seal looks good but barely touches the hatch and is loose in the channel.

Anyone have any quick fixes for this? Also what is the current good seal out there?

I may try some foam tape behind the seal along the top to give it some more pressure.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch seal Reply with quote

For what it's worth- my WW hatch seals are good. Expensive, but worth it.

I think we would all benefit from a comprehensive database (ok thread) that shares the "buy this here, that there" between the two heavies: Wolfsburg West and WCM.

Example:

Hatch seal: WW- good fit WCM: a little loose in channel
Front door and Cargo door seals: WCM- all 3 factory profiles for front door parts WW- only one profile for all doors regardless of specific strips and numbers needed.

Etc...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: