Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Petrol (gas) smell
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Petrol (gas) smell Reply with quote

I HAVE A 1974 VW T2 THAT STINKS OF FUEL IN THE CABBIN WHEN DRIVING, I HAVE CHANGED THE FUEL CAP, THE FUEL HOSE TO THE TANK,HAD THE TANK PRESSURE TESTED, CHANGED THE LINKING BREATHER PIPES, THE FUEL PIPE FROM THE TANK TO THE FUEL PUMP, THE CARB AND THE AIR FILTER. THE ONLY THING I HAVE NOT RENEWED ARE THE BREATHER PIPES RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE SIDE AIR VENTS, ANY IDEAS PLEASE?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it smell worse when the tank is full?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reach in behind the left side of the engine compartment headed up toward the big vent and feel for the little hose up there. You want it to be good. Number 24 here....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: petrol fumes Reply with quote

Yes it does smell more when the tank is full, thanks for the diagram. All connectors have been changed except for the hose highlighted in red (the most difficult to get to) except for that any ideas? ps thanks for your help
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the smell of fuel was a common symptom of a bad fuel sender seal on the tank?
mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: petrol fumes Reply with quote

Please no, that's engine out again. The only reason I didn't go down that route is because I had the tank pressure tested and the sender was left in (bad move it now doesn't work so well) and it held the pressure just fine pointing towards the seal being ok?
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Reach in behind the left side of the engine compartment headed up toward the big vent and feel for the little hose up there. You want it to be good. Number 24 here....

^^^I second what Randy said^^^

It really isn't that hard to get to #24 (red) Reach up with engine lid open and feel. If you don't have a auxiliary battery, and are small,you may be able to peep in there too.
mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: petrol fumes Reply with quote

Thanks for that have just had a look and found the number 24 pipe, will change that this afternoon. If it were to be the fuel tank sender seal do you think this is dangerous to drive as I'm hoping to go away next week obviously just asking for an opinion
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me out here and tell me what year of bus you have and what engine is in it (type 1 or type 4 engine). Got a picture that would include the evaporated fuel charcoal canister?

Usually when we have the tank and engine out we replace the green hoses and the blue hoses because you are in there anyway and they are easy to get to. Change out the red one and then decide. I put fuel line clamps on mine.
mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: petrol fumes Reply with quote

Hi THANKS FOR YOUR HELP THE VAN IS 1974 with a 1641 reconditioned engine. I have put clamps on the green and blue as you said, just checked and the red is rotten and have changed it but forgot to put the clamps on so have to start again.
mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: petrol fumes Reply with quote

Again thanks for your help you mentioned the evaporated fuel charcoal canister are they situated at the top of the rear air ducts? If so what are their purpose and what can I do if they are worn out?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need some photots of how yours is set up.

In the USA, the 74s came with something like this canister mounted on the firewall...

mollymeg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here are some pictures hope that is what you needed I do not have the evaporated fuel charcoal canister like the photo you sent just the same system that you sent highlighting the blue red and green hoses. In the second photo I have linked the breather pipes together with a Y shaped fitting and will pass this to the outside of the van in the hope any fumes will not get in the cabin again, does this make sense?
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 77 Westy and the same issue...occasional overwhelming gas smell in vehicle.

I have the aux battery, so should I remove that and feel for the "#24" hose condition? I would love a pic of exactly where to stick my hand Razz Is it possible to change this with the engine in place?

Also, I have the charcoal canister on the firewall. Is that a possible source?

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reach over the aux battery location up toward the side vent just behind the spare tire well. You can reach it about 15" up there or so. Feel around.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red hose isn't hard to get at if you remove the tail light, a mirror ontop of the battery on a 45 degree angle and a light will let you peek. The canister is designed to eliminate all the stink so there's likely a leak in one of the many hoses leading to it from the tank, there's a small possibility the charcoal is dead but you wouldn't smell anything while driving if that's the case.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkjellquist wrote:
I have a 77 Westy and the same issue...occasional overwhelming gas smell in vehicle.

I have the aux battery, so should I remove that and feel for the "#24" hose condition? I would love a pic of exactly where to stick my hand Razz Is it possible to change this with the engine in place?

Also, I have the charcoal canister on the firewall. Is that a possible source?

If the smell is overwhelming your problem is probably not #24. I would suspect a bad sender seal, a loose sender, or a cracked elbow where you stick the gas hose in or the whole rubber hose going to the tank from there. My elbow is currently cracked and the smell is choking. It's on my list when I swap engines with my other bus next week.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the engine out last winter I found that #24 on the passenger side was not connected- and with a fresh hose would not stay connected- one end or the other must have gotten tweaked at some point. I cut a new section twice the length of the old one and hose clamped it on. Replaced and hose clamped the other side as well while I was in there.
The rest are push on and fit fine- replacing the red one was not so bad, its simply not knowing that it is there is a PITA
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:

If the smell is overwhelming your problem is probably not #24.

Being my first bus it's hard to tell the severity...no point of reference. If I recall I had taken a hard left prior to the smell, which would send the gas in my full tank to the right, and splashing up the rubber hose towards the elbow.

Does that sound right?

Can the elbow and hose be replaced without pulling the engine?

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had the same exact issue, turned out to be the top filler elbow had the smallest crack and the smell would present itself on left turns. I was able to replace it without pulling the engine, getting the firewall off was the trickiest part, and I didn't remove it fully, just opened it enough to get my arm in to get the bottom rubber connector off. Make sure you remove that connector fully as the filler pipe has to be rotated to get it out of the pie plate hole and leaving it on doesn't give you the clearance. Whole job took about an hour
75 Panel Bus - converting to Subi power http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651073&highlight=
78 Kombi Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: