Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB antenna mount...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as "how far" I don't know,,I don't know for sure that anyone wil be able to give you real, factual numbers as to the strength:range relationship of their set up, just because it changes from car to car, weather, other electronic equipment et al.
Though, I use it frequently on roadtrips, and I have no issue getting other drivers. It's a fun and valuable tool when I'm on long trips, and kept me entertained while driving from NY to FL a few times.
I used a whip that reached to the roof... I didn't want the antenna to terminate below the metal roofline because I knew that would really cut down on my range. This has worked well.
I was running a. 29LTD-BT, but recently put in the new digital 29 LX-LE
I opted to not gettne BlueTooth on this model, though it was available. I haven't missed it yet,
I hate to sound prude, but I wasn't a fan of the magnet mounts, I figured this was a "long term mod" and the magnet mounts seemed too temporary. Added, I didn't want to mar the finish on anything.
I ran my antenna lead down the inside nose of the bus, out along the plastic drain hose. Back along the frame rail, out twords the rear driver corner. The mount is bolted through the drain hole in the bumper. I used an 18' long cable I think, though it may have been a 12.
Make sure the unit is calibrated and you should be golden.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kim,

Get a 102" whip with a 6" Spring and mount it to your rear bumper. That will give you 108 inches which is the optimum length for the 11 meter CB band.I PROMISE you will talk further than you will with the Wilson. Don't worry about the antenna being alongside the body of the van, just stick a tennis ball on it to make sure it doesn't bang off the van. It might effect your receive slightly, but you will be banging all your power out the tip of that antenna when you transmit, rather than having a coil absorbing part of the power as you will on the Wilson. When you transmit, the RF radiates from the TIP of the antenna, not along the bottom. So yes, it would not be optimum to have an antenna that terminated before it cleared the roof, but a stainless steel whip will clear by plenty enough.

From the picture you posted this would be the most practical as well. A bumper mounted whip with a spring will easily give enough to go under that shed. You will break anything connected at the gutter, if you are going to pull it in that far.

I used to buy stainless steel whips from radio shack for 20 bucks. Not sure what they are these days. You need stainless, not fiberglass. 10-4?

Taylor
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGeorge wrote:
I mounted My 102' whip on the rear bumper. I use a Cobra 139XLR Am/SSb base and a 500 Watt linear amp (Home-made). RG8U coax cable.
On side band I can reach Milwaukee Wisconsin, No problem.

Shocked
I'm not even running 500 watts on my ham transceiver.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A brewmaster AND a ham operator! That is a dangerous combination. Smile

It is exciting times to be alive for CB radio enthusists. We are in the peak of the 11 year sun spot cycle. You can talk to the other side of the world with 5 watts right now.

73's
Taylor Miller
N5UHG
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise everyone. I have ordered a 102" SS Whip, spring, and 25' of coax. Just need to wait for it to get here and then build a mount for it on the bumper.

I'll take pics of the finished product. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Orangebuslover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mount on the nose of my bus. Been there since I bought it. No CB though. Need to get one. Friend up the hill just added a huge antenna on his house. He talks to the far side of Hawai'i and Texas no problem. Hmmmm.
sambabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know that cb is not the same as ham radio, 2-3 vers 50-75 miles on average. Or 5 vers 75 watts tx. I heard the ham radio test is pretty easy now days too.
1971 Westy, 2017cc 78.4 x 90.5 Tims Stage 1 plus 42x37, CB 44IDF's, 135 mains, 175 airs, F111, 50 idles, Engle 110, 30mm, 009, single QP, DD CHT 300*f, VDO oil always 180* Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541370
1970 convertible bug, 1835cc, single 40IDF, disks.
Symptoms Solved and Fixed http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551358
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I've been happy with my Firestik, used a tab mount and bolted through the bottom of the bumper, at one of the drainage holes.
Problem I had seen with mounting high, wasnt just the Fiberglas-ground plane issue, but also physically getting the wire up that high, without drilling or having cables drawn all throughout the cab.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey man, how long is your antenna?
Is that a 6'?
If so can you provide me with a link where you bought it?

"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a SS whip has the benefit of less parts to fail. The bending of the shorter antennae with coils in their base some times break after being overflexed or bent from tree branches or ?. The length of coaxial wire between radio and antennae needs to be an exact length for max effecientcy. Both antennae length and wire length are determined by the radio wave length of cb radio frequency. Someone may know what the length of the wire is needed for a ss whip? I suspect it is multiples of 102" . Hope this helps.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grungeant wrote:

Hey man, how long is your antenna?
Is that a 6'?
If so can you provide me with a link where you bought it?

Hey ya, I think she's a five footer... I'll have to check and post back.
It's a Firestik, any truck stop will carry Firestik's, else you can find them online or for sale from the manufacturer at their website...
http://www.firestik.com

CrRusty wrote:
Using a SS whip has the benefit of less parts to fail. The bending of the shorter antennae with coils in their base some times break after being overflexed or bent from tree branches or ?. The length of coaxial wire between radio and antennae needs to be an exact length for max effecientcy. Both antennae length and wire length are determined by the radio wave length of cb radio frequency. Someone may know what the length of the wire is needed for a ss whip? I suspect it is multiples of 102" . Hope this helps.

Though lots of folks like to think there is a magic number, there is not. The key is using quality cable, and tuning the radio.
It is important to tune the radio in the middle of the CB band, so for argument sake 27.4MHz. The wavelength is ~36 feet. The signal is measured as a sine wave, which rises above and drops below the zero reference point once per cycle. Thus, where the misconception of the "magical" 108" reference comes from...
1/2 a wavelength (either the positive, or negative of the sine wave) is 18'. 1/4 of that is 9' (108")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 5' would clear my roof from the bumper.
I also have a rack on my roof. A 6' would clear my rack by about 8"-10"

I have a gumdrop mount that I was thinking about drilling into the top left side of my rear bumper, but I am afraid a long rigid antenna might be too much for the bumpoer.
I am trying to figure out what would be best for me. I don't want anything bigger than needed.
I had a 6' fiberglass Wilson in the past that seemed to work equally as well as a 102". Wilson doesn't make them anymore, and the one website that has them listed said they don't have them.
The last setup I used was one of those skinny fiberglass 4' Wilsons and it worked very well, and I liked the fact that it was less rigid than the thicker ones.
I'd like to have something that skinny and light. The Francis 5.5' would clear my rack by a few inches. But it is continuous wound, so I think I need something that is top loaded.

Does a 102" transmit from the tip or the whole length of the antenna?

I know some people who use through the glass antennas and they work decent, But I'm afraid it will get wripped off in the car wash.

I think idealy I would like to just use my stereo antenna.
I found some CB/Stereo antenna tuners from early 80's Honda Goldwings from the early 80's for fairly reasonable. I was thinking I could have a CB shop just change the ends to what I need.

Does anyone know how crappy they work?
Could they possibly be any worse than a through the glass antenna?
My Stereo antenna has a spring on the bottom, and seems to be for some meter of radio, I just don't know which.

"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fiberglass have a wire in them that is wound. The wire length is the actual amount that transmits so if the antenna is 4' long but the wire is 102 inches then it acts like a 102" antenna. The problem with mounting in a rear corner is you are making a big lobe and weak on the sides of that lobe because your ground plan is not symmetric to the antenna. The ground plane is the steel in the bus. The other issue is that the bus is absorbing part of the signal because it is above the antenna. Also - with the poptop you don't want someone sleeping near the antenna at that wattage is going into them. Although a microwave or commercial tower has a lot more power, I used to know a radio tech who lost both breasts because he climbed an antenna one day to work on it and although he took all the metal out of his pockets, he forgot that the overalls he was wearing had two metal snaps. Thank God there was no zipper.......

You might be able to build a mount that bolts into the hatch area and sticks out to the side, thus raising that antenna to get more of it above the bus. It would transmit farther.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right. The ground plane and field is not ideal, because of placement on the bus.
The issue is entirely in that I personally would rather sacrifice transmit power over having to drill holes in my bus.
As mentioned earlier, by mounting where I did I was able to run the cable out the nose at the drain tube and along the frame rail in the bus. The bumper gave a mount that didn't require any new holes being drilled.
I had to use a whip that at least cleared the metal roof, as the signal will go through the fiber glass, and the radio is only on when the bus is moving and not when sleeping.
I get good range... Could it be better? Absolutely. But this is the best function, and most elegant solution that didn't mean any holes. If someone has a better set up, that looks ok and doesn't require holes I'm all ears Smile
Maybe dual antennas are in my future! Smile
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

Do you understand what dual antennas do?
They shoot forward and backwards only and not to the sides. They also need to be spaced a specific distance apart. Your bus isn't wide enough to do this.
Don't go duals on a bus.

Robert Pirsig
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably end up buying this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360678807897?ssPageName=ST...471wt_1090

And if I can't get a usable match on my existing stereo antenna, I'll probably get something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290979550035?ssPageName=ST...124wt_1090

Robert Pirsig
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grungeant wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:

Do you understand what dual antennas do?
They shoot forward and backwards only and not to the sides. They also need to be spaced a specific distance apart. Your bus isn't wide enough to do this.
Don't go duals on a bus.

I think they shoot 180 degrees only, as for which direction depends on placement on the vehicle. Again, my goal is to avoid marring the bus. The CB is a great toy/tool. But I'd sacrifice the radio before popping holes in the roof.
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I think they shoot 180 degrees only, as for which direction depends on placement on the vehicle.

Yes, it makes a beam. Direction depends on the placement on the vehicle.
The idea behind the reason trucks do it is so they can talk to people on the same road as them in a straight line forward and back with out bothering people in towns with base station CB's and also without hearing the peopke off the highway with base stations.. It's not really relivant anymore though. I had duals on an old bus I had and a bus is not is not wide enough.
Back then I didn't care about appearance. I had them mounted on the B-pillars. It sucked I couldn't barely hear anything that I could understand and almost nobody could hear me. I had dual 4' fiberglass Wilsons. I ended up ditching the passenger side one and replacing the driver side one with a 6' fiberglass Wilson. I also had a Mustang II with a 102" steel whip on the back left corner of the bumper, and just for the heck of it I put my 6' WIlson inplace of the whip and I think it may have worked better, I don't know for sure, but it didn't look as cool so I put the whip back on.

I also ended up using the 6' WIlson on the driverside mirror of a Freightliner FLD Condo. It was the best set up ever as far as range. I am torn as to which one is actually better the 6' WIlson or the 102" whip. I think they are very close, and I am sort of leaning towards the Wilson being better. My 4' skinny Wilson was onn the back left corner of a Jeep above the tail light. That was very simaler to my 6' Wilson set up on my bus. And for the little bit I lost on function was totally worth what I gained in appearance and practicality.

The purpose in dual antennas anymore is basically for looks. Most trucks that have duals only use the driver side one for their CB. The passenger one is usually hooked up to the stereo if it is hooked to anything at all.

Robert Pirsig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: