Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slide Rule as a metaphor for critical thinking.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I remember the old timers challenging each other on barrel crank calculators.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've never seen such a thing. Was that for accountants and such?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get working drawings from junior staff that will have a string of dimensions ending in 1/4", 3/8" etc with one dimension showing 16ths, and the over all dimension shows an even eighth or quarter inch.
When I mark up the drawings and tell them to check the math they get all huffy and the answer is usually something along the lines of that's what the computer said the dimensions are. Then they get quiet when I ask em where did the 16th's go.....
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

back in the `60s my navigator used one while we were rallying along with the Reed tables( time and distance)`. He was a math major at UCSB.
we did pretty good and had lots of fun.
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nice Post slide rule with case...one of these days I'm going to learn how to use it.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I have a nice Post slide rule with case...one of these days I'm going to learn how to use it.

This is a nice easy to follow presentation on how to use a slide rule.

http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Course.htm

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOCHABILL wrote:
This is the way it was done before computers;;

http://photos.stuttcars.info/upload/2011/11/11/1950-porschegmbh-1-copyright-porsche.jpg

Smile

What are you talking about? A slide rule IS a computer!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the SlideRuleMuseum website:

"Prior to 1980, Webster's Dictionary defined the word “COMPUTER” as a PERSON who computes, typically with a slide rule."

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

These guys were licensed land surveyors and used that for their calc's. I have no clue how to use one. It even has a web site devoted to it.

http://www.curta.org/

If you can find one, they start around $500.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:

Looks like a cryptex!

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a headache reading the extract from the Curta user manual on how to use the machine. It must have been interesting to watch an expert use it.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: sounds like Reply with quote

B Laughing Laughing bet one of those guys invented the Rubrics cube??

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
It must have been interesting to watch an expert use it.

When I got into land surveying in the early 80's the Curta's were no longer used due to more modern calc. tools. Every few months or so they would bring in their hand cranks and come up with an equation. They would manipulate their devices and see who could come up with the correct result the fastest. It was great fun and very interesting to watch.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was an engineer and retired around 1984 when CAD was coming out. When I was in my early teens, I asked if he used a slide rule. Oh yes, he certainly did and he also mentioned the Trig tables. I always wanted to get the opportunity to learn how to use a slide rule but never did.

One issue I have with schools these days is the teachers who rely on the TI-83 graphing calculators. I know some high schools require them as do some college courses, such as a college algebra course I recently completed for my major. The calculator itself requires its own course in order for someone to understand how to use it. I was happy that the Business Calculus instructor didn't require us to use the TI-83.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
2Pack wrote:
My understanding is that the slide rule does not tell you where to put the decimal point. I take it that's your point about having to think it through yourself? I see them at flea markets sometimes- I should pick one up for fun.

Yes, that's true, it doesn't tell you where to put the decimal point. If the problem is kind of simple (like 15.3 x 7) you can sort of guess where the decimal point should be (7 x 20 is 140 and 7 x 10 is 70 so you can guess the answer is going to be somewhere between those numbers).

But if the approximate result is hard to predict (like, say, 1,254 times 0.00237), you can simplify the numbers by converting them to scientific notation and then you don't have to guess. So the numbers above become 1.254 x 10 to the 3rd power times 2.37 x 10 to the -3rd power. The powers of 10 just tell you how many places you have to move the decimal point to get back to the original number.

Then you multiply 1.254 and 2.37 together, and you add the exponents of 10 together, and you end up with 2.97 x 10 to the zero power, or just plain 2.97.

When I started engineering school in the mid-70's, there were basically 3 kinds of "scientific" calculators: the HP's, the TI's, and the "Bowmar Brains". As I recall, the Bowmars didn't have scientific notation, so they were kind of like slide rules with more digits. They went out of business pretty quickly...

I remember one EE student in my senior classes, who continued to use a slide-rule in class. Sometimes, after finishing an exam, I would sit and watch the guy plug away at complex calculations using his slide rule. I don't recall he did all that badly, just took him a bit longer to get the answers... I wonder if he got the answers more reliably than others, but with a digit or two less precision.

Decimal points... I'm always amused at the proliferation of "decimal point" errors. The factor of 1.E4 is particularly frequent (cm^2 vs. m^2) in the field where I work... Which kind of indicates that people have stopped using their intuitions for orders-of-magnitude... Maybe thinking about magnitude was a good thing.

I haven't used a slide rule since high school, although I remember how to use one - I had a nice K&E slide rule at one time, but it's been lost for many decades... We have a good slide rule, though - my wife inherited her father's yellow metal Pickett, like the ones shown with original posting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: