Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 69 Kombi build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: My 69 Kombi build Reply with quote

Hello all I have been hanging around the Samba for a about two years now. I have a 73 super as my daily and have owned two buses in the past. My new toy is a 1969 Kombi delux named Ian. I bought this bus of a seller here on Samba, I think that I paid a fair price, the bus is a solid driver with no back interior at this time. I plan to build my own custom camper out of this bus. It will be a mixture of my own stuff and some parts from westies. I have owned the bus for two weeks now. I purchased in a town 140 miles from my home. The bus drove the trip back without a hiccup in triple digit weather. The first things that I did was drain and replace oil, adjust the valves points and timing. Drain and replace tranny oil, and adjust and top off the steering box. I plan to post pictures as I breath life back into this bus. I have on order sapphire blue tweed kick panels, door panels and carpet. Here are some pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]

Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received some new parts today!! New tail light assemblies and a new wing window latch. I am not sure how to install the wing window latch.....
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also made a leather glove box door cover. I know that the back side window's wing window is on the other side of the bus!!! Embarassed don't hate!! Twisted Evil I will correct it on the next one I make!!
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm digging the leather cover on the glove box lid. You might be able to sell some of those.
taylorb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rivet in the wing latch. You will have to drill it out from the bottom. I jb welded mine back it. If you wanted to remove the glass and such you could simply rivet your new one in just like the original.1

76 STD Bug-Sold
71 Transporter Converted To Camper.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Keep us posted.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hello all I have been hanging around the Samba for a about two years now"

Aren't your arms getting sore? Very Happy
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool bus. Maybe I will get to see it in person one day? LOL Laughing

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an early 69! I bet first week of October build or earlier because it has the Hagus rear view mirror like mine. If that passenger side Vanagon seat belt is attached on the metal right there behind the seat, you should change it because the mount isn't very solid there imo. Cool Also I want a bay window bus belt to wear, ifn you make one I'll buy it from you.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breck wrote:
I received some new parts today!! New tail light assemblies and a new wing window latch. I am not sure how to install the wing window latch.....

If those are the aftermarket ones from India or wherever I put those on about 2-3 years ago. Everything worked very well except for the chrome bezels. They started to rust within a month. I just cleaned up the old ones and they have been fine since. Much brighter than the old ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breck wrote:

If those are the aftermarket ones from India or wherever I put those on about 2-3 years ago. Everything worked very well except for the chrome bezels. They started to rust within a month. I just cleaned up the old ones and they have been fine since. Much brighter than the old ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2much
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool bus! I'm partial to 68-69 busses Cool

It's interesting that it has a solid (no vent) middle window on the driver side and no vent / arm rests on the front door panels. Is this part of what makes a true kombi vs. standard or deluxe? Looks like it has headliner still in the cab area, did it have it on the back section originally also?

Where are you ordering the tweed panels and carpet from?
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
Man, I'm digging the leather cover on the glove box lid. You might be able to sell some of those.

Nodrenim, I hope to when I get all the bugs (lol) worked out. I am gonna do a westy one for a few of my club members next. I will keep you posted.
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylorb1 wrote:
There is a rivet in the wing latch. You will have to drill it out from the bottom. I jb welded mine back it. If you wanted to remove the glass and such you could simply rivet your new one in just like the original.1

Thanks for the help, I looked at it yesterday and all that was accomplished was head scratching.....
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
It's an early 69! I bet first week of October build or earlier because it has the Hagus rear view mirror like mine. If that passenger side Vanagon seat belt is attached on the metal right there behind the seat, you should change it because the mount isn't very solid there imo. Cool Also I want a bay window bus belt to wear, ifn you make one I'll buy it from you.

Thanks for the heads up on the seat belt mount. On the belt are you looking for just the words "bay window" or what did you have in mind.
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ob Bus thanks for the tip on the bezels, I will be sure to keep my originals.
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type2much wrote:
cool bus! I'm partial to 68-69 busses Cool

It's interesting that it has a solid (no vent) middle window on the driver side and no vent / arm rests on the front door panels. Is this part of what makes a true kombi vs. standard or deluxe? Looks like it has headliner still in the cab area, did it have it on the back section originally also?

Where are you ordering the tweed panels and carpet from?

I have no idea what was original as far as arm rests or what makes it a Kombi/Delux. I used the M code thingy to tell me what it is. I am still learning what is what on the interior of these buses. Yes at one time it did have a complete white head liner. I ordered the TMI tweed panels thru Jbugs.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breck wrote:
taylorb1 wrote:

Thanks for the help, I looked at it yesterday and all that was accomplished was head scratching.....

My time is short on this planet so I just bought new assemblies. The fronts are available from Wolfsburg West (not searchable on the website. pm me if you want links.) The backs, although more expensive, can be had in the classifieds here in OK shape, or for your first born child, can be had reconditioned from a retailer whose name escapes me. Special presses and a new seal are needed if you take the glass out of that frame.

I also have a thing for '69s! I usually get comments on how unique it is that my bumpers are the same color as my lower body color. Nice to see another bus with that same look Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My time is short on this planet so I just bought new assemblies. The fronts are available from Wolfsburg West (not searchable on the website. pm me if you want links.) The backs, although more expensive, can be had in the classifieds here in OK shape, or for your first born child, can be had reconditioned from a retailer whose name escapes me. Special presses and a new seal are needed if you take the glass out of that frame. "

I also have a thing for '69s! I usually get comments on how unique it is that my bumpers are the same color as my lower body color. Nice to see another bus with that same look Smile[/quote]

I also like the look of the bumper painted the same as the body. Is your rear bumper done the same way? All my wing windows work correctly and have good enough seals for now. It is only the passenger side front window that the latching mech is gone. But good info for when the time comes.. Thanks
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my rear bumper is orange too. Pics in my gallery...

Are you going to leave yours like they are?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: