Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual A/C units?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tron2525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Dual A/C units? Reply with quote

I've been working to get my stock rear A/C unit up and running after doing a Bostig conversion and was wondering if anyone has attempted adding a front A/C unit such as a Vintage Air unit like this

https://sites.google.com/site/blakeheinlein/blake/air-conditioning-project

to the existing the rear A/C?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES.

Must be Summer with all these AC questions.

Mount an extra condenser under the van.

Hope your compressor can handle the extra load.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES.

Must be Summer with all these AC questions.

Mount an extra condenser under the van.

Hope your compressor can handle the extra load.

https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=...mp;bih=875

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Vanagon did not have AC. I installed the Vintage Air dash unit. I am fairly happy with the results. I have been toying with the idea of adding a second unit in the rear. Opposite of what you have in mind. I don't want to give up the rear upper cabinet, but have been thinking about an underdash unit from Nostalgic Air or a small one that could be mounted under the rear seat or the rear side cabinet. Haven't gotten my head around how to control the two evaportator temps and the plumbing. Post pictures when you are done.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
...Mount an extra condenser under the van...

That's how I have seen it done, alas I took no pics but I may see it again someday.

The one I saw is owned by the fellow who did my stock AC rework on my 84. I didn't want to go that far ($$$) but his craftiness and craftsmanship convinced me to turn my Westy over to his care.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Our Vanagon did not have AC. I installed the Vintage Air dash unit. I am fairly happy with the results. I have been toying with the idea of adding a second unit in the rear. Opposite of what you have in mind. I don't want to give up the rear upper cabinet, but have been thinking about an underdash unit from Nostalgic Air or a small one that could be mounted under the rear seat or the rear side cabinet. Haven't gotten my head around how to control the two evaportator temps and the plumbing. Post pictures when you are done.

There is a recent thread where a person installed a Subaru unit under the rear seat to go along with his Subaru engine. Pictures included!

Since cold air falls, maybe putting it up high in the side cabinet may be an option.

OR OR OR, maybe, maybe, maybe, put it in a box under the bed area since you have a two wheel drive.

I have issues with the condenser placement myself since I want propane )Propex) and water tank under the van too......emm.....

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go as crazy as I did to install a front AC system ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535444&highlight=diy+front+air+conditioning), take note that the rear-mounted Vanagon AC system, when the evaporator fins are clean and the system is properly charged with either R12 or RedTek, works quite well.

Here are some links of people who did the refurbishment with lots of pics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365626

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321941

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188166

My van did not have any AC, so I decided to install a front AC.

Back on topic now, here are some links to info from a fellow who installed a dual AC system in his Vanagon:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/...Condenser/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/...Condenser/
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been toying with the idea of installing a 110 Volt AC system for use in a camp ground with electric service, even though my Vanagon is a non-Westy!

My refurbished Vanagon system pushed by an ALH TDI engine AC compressor seems to work quite well (134a).

EDIT: Clarification on the 110 AC system. I'm not talking about a window unit or rooftop. I think it's possible to fabricate a 110 volt AC system similar to the conventional auto system add-ons being discussed. Locating the condenser, compressor, and evaporator are obviously the big three to address............ just thinking out loud!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, My '87 tin top had A/C but was removed by the PO. Looks to be that the only thing left are the wires comming from the dash area. They are cut just around the area where the spare tire is located. I still see the A/C relay up behind the drivers headlight. There are no knobs on the dash for fan and climate control like Ive seen on other models.
Im thinking about trying to locate all the parts to replace the system. Ill probally try to think of a different way to duct it though. Thanks GreggK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While temps here in SE PA haven't been exactly tropical, today we were in the low 80's and had lots of sun. The refurbed/repaired OEM AC did a good job of a) keeping us cool under way, and b) bringing temps down after parking in the sun for a while. Things have gone well enough that I actually bumped the fan back to 3 or 2 and turned the thermostat down to about 50%.

The refurb came down to replacing a compressor/condensor hose (total failure at the compressor), replacing the receiver/drier (standard practice), replacing the expansion valve (seemed the right thing to do), and all o-rings involved in work above, and replaced the compressor (crack in compressor body) and associated o-rings. The system held vacuum for 3+ days, so we called it "all better" and loaded up Red Tek. We've had R134A in the system, but subjectively I think it was less effective (literature generally agrees R134A is about 8% less efficient that R12). Until we're in 90F conditions, I can't say the system is really up to all conditions, but the results seen to date suggest as much.

Bottom line: I'd get the original system up to spec before adding a second AC system, unless you want a 110VAC system when parked and either have a gen set or plug-in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: