Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long time lurker, first time OWNER!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long while since I had my air-cooled, but why is this important? I mean, there's no way the sides of the motor are sealed inside the engine bay.... right?
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
It's been a long while since I had my air-cooled, but why is this important? I mean, there's no way the sides of the motor are sealed inside the engine bay.... right?

I'd read that in a few place last night. Basic concept is air leaks = coolant leaks, but I was specifically referencing this post: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415773

The idea, you want to avoid warm exhaust air being sucked into the engine, versus just the air from the side air scoops. Im still a noob at all this, but the logic made sense to my brain Smile
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: and finally - pictures! Reply with quote

As promised, here are a few pics. We loaded up the van last weekend and drove it up to Leavenworth for its inaugural camping trip. Everything on the van seems to work (except for the kitchen light) and it runs really smooth!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Outside shot (I've since cleaned the awning).

Kitchen area

sleeping berth.

Having a blast with it so far and looking forward to many more adventures,
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking rig! Congratulations!

(There's gotta be a gal involved in that nicely color-coordinated comforter, though)

👍💑

<edit> just went back and reviewed the thread. Of course there was some informed decorating going on. Looks great!

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertrefugee wrote:
(There's gotta be a gal involved in that nicely color-coordinated comforter, though)

Yeah, the engine was barely cooled off before she was in there doing her thing, and transformed an already nice interior into a real home. She's been waiting to do that for a long time!
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and enjoy!!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ride. I like the classic blue. Welcome to The Air Cooled Club. We've been in ours for a couple years now. It's been from Olympia to Sun Valley to Whistler to Bend to Vantage and back. No major issues. Well no issues after getting the engine dialed in and the peripherals back to spec. Now i am working on the fun(er) stuff - solar and updating the appliances. Spend some time reading all of the threads with "air cooled" in the title. And sign up for AAA if you haven't already. Have fun!

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimeg wrote:
Nice ride. I like the classic blue. Welcome to The Air Cooled Club. We've been in ours for a couple years now. It's been from Olympia to Sun Valley to Whistler to Bend to Vantage and back. No major issues. Well no issues after getting the engine dialed in and the peripherals back to spec. Now i am working on the fun(er) stuff - solar and updating the appliances. Spend some time reading all of the threads with "air cooled" in the title. And sign up for AAA if you haven't already. Have fun!

Thanks jimeg, we're loving the classic look ourselves (made even better since I installed the trim rings around the hub caps), and I really like driving an air cooled so far (doesn't seem nearly as slow as everyone says). We already upgraded to AAA platinum, just had the fuel lines replaced (even had them drop the tank and replace the lines & gaskets there) and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm getting a Bentley manual for my birthday Laughing
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Check out
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/

Colin is a Vanagon whisperer.

Thing to watch about air cooleds is CHT. Get a Dakota Digital CHT, and enjoy it. Don't lug the motor. It needs RPM to cool. Climb big hills in 2nd @ 3200 RPM (peak torque).
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

Awesome, looks great and like a fun time... congrats!
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a few hours and a few bucks and paint those wheels silver like they should be . They are only black because the cheap silver paint silver paint flakes off .
You will be amazed at how much better it looks and we will not have to wash our eyes out with gasoline when we look at it .
Other than that it looks like a tidy vehicle . Have the brake fluid checked and changed as well as the other fluids and go and enjoy it .
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nwester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Sounds like you got a hellova deal on it, made sweeter by the fact that it seems to be working out even better than you expected. What campground was that in Leavenworth?
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwester wrote:
Looks great! Sounds like you got a hellova deal on it, made sweeter by the fact that it seems to be working out even better than you expected. What campground was that in Leavenworth?

That's what we're thinking. I just got the propane filled, expecting leaks or something but it's solid! Stove works, and contrary to almost everything I've read I got the fridge lit with almost no effort (still doesn't get cold of course, but it starts Very Happy ). The Leavenworth campground was at "1000 trails". Pretty nice place, but it was the 4th, so kinda crazy... we were surrounded by these huge rigs and 5th wheels, but also parked on a sort of hill, so it was like Dave was Lord of All Laughing

a1fa wrote:

Check out
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/

Colin is a Vanagon whisperer.

Thing to watch about air cooleds is CHT. Get a Dakota Digital CHT, and enjoy it. Don't lug the motor. It needs RPM to cool. Climb big hills in 2nd @ 3200 RPM (peak torque).

a1fa, Thank for the Big hill advice - that's the kind I like to hear (and fortunately I've already been doing it that way), especially as we prepare to travel to Michigan and back this week - a 5,000 mile round trip! DD gauges are on the list, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get any installed yet, so I'm kind of driving blind. That said, we've spent the last few weeks taking it up into the mountains and back (Steven's Pass twice, Snoqualmie once), and it's done great. My mechanic didn't balk when I told them what we're doing, and so far the only mechanical issue is a rough idle when it's cold, so... I'm cautiously optimistic about the trip Very Happy

Just bought a bunch of tools, and my wife got me a Bentley and John Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive" for an early birthday gift, so... we're fairly well armed should anything go sideways.

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: and finally - pictures! Reply with quote

torbot wrote:
.....Everything on the van seems to work (except for the kitchen light) and it runs really smooth!

Nice looking bus!

Kitchen light could be due to several things, but checking for power with a meter is not hard to do. That light is part of the door light(s) circuit so is likely fused at the stock fuse panel.

IIRC, there's info here on an LED retrofit to that Delta housing. The stock Halogen bulb draws a lot of power.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: