Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Many Still Have the A&E TransAwn 2000 Awning?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
i have a Travel Awn 2000 - (whats the difference with TRANS AWN ... ??)

im looking for gutter bracket for my 1973 westy and maybe later for the Eurovan 1996 (i guess the only way will be thule adapter)

here are some pic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks exactly like my Trans Awn 2000 except for the clamps that hold it closed. No other difference that I can tell, just a different name for the Canadian Model.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and I don't use it... that came with the vanagon I purchased last year
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some extra mounting parts left over:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1155135

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1155138
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone PM'd me about pictures of the TA-2000 enclosure... many, many months ago. Embarassed Finally got around to assembling it today, so for those who are interested here it is Very Happy :

The screen is all one piece; the front slides into the accessory track on the roller and all three sides then zip onto the blue nylon "roof/rainfly" (which has a flap that goes over the awning case). The "flaps" on the ground have holes for staking it down. There is an access/door zipper down the center of the front panel.

The (freakin' heavy!!) vinyl screen covers attach via zippers along the top of the screen, along with Velcro at the bottom and sides. I didn't attach them all, just the right side and one front (which I rolled up).

There is a skirt that runs the length of the awning and attaches to the van. POs used Velcro and it's long since disintegrated, hence the clamps. There is also a cover for the wheel-well... obviously never used, so I attached it with magnets. The floor attaches to all four pieces with Velcro.

Great thing to have if parked in one place for awhile, but not something I'd take on a road trip where I'm always on the move. Since I haven't come across another one, this enclosure must be rarer than the awning itself! Laughing (And, no, it's not for sale Wink )

And a few have wondered about this as well... here's a close-up of one of the two straps I use to hold the case cover up in order to open/close the slider door:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all the post on this thread which might have already answered this but, Why is the awning mounted upside down??

Does the screen room have a part# on it?

That is awesome!!!

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever rebuilt one of these?

I have had a couple rivets let go this year and want to re-do the entire thing. I have all of the original parts except for a single clasp that was gone prior to my ownership. And its in good condition, albeit dirty.

Thinking to drill out existing rivets and replace. Give the awning material a good scrub. Clean up the exterior aluminum, especially where a previously sagging mount left a 3 foot wear mark from the top of the slider on the outer case. And maybe paint the end caps.

I am sure a parts source is completly out of the question.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm, home for BBB Laughing

I am counting the minutes Cool

That is quite the awesome unit you have there Kam. Glad I do not have to tote that Twisted Evil

That looks HEAVY DUTY!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
Why is the awning mounted upside down??

If you're referring to the case on the van, it's not actually upside down; that's the way all TA-2000 awnings mount (the awning is lifted up and out of the tray). A&E/Dometic obviously improved the design on the TA's replacement.

jrobewesty wrote:
Does the screen room have a part# on it?

Not a label anywhere. When I met the 2nd owners last spring, they gave me the instructions for an A&E enclosure. Those instructions have a name (Trim Line) and part number (9472XX.005) with a copyright date of 1997, but inside the instructions state the Trim Line Screen Room is for A&E Trim Line Awnings. The only sections of the instructions that apply to this enclosure is the skirting (illustration matches perfectly) and driving stakes into the ground flap grommets. And there is zero mention of the screen covers. So "Trim Line Sreen Room", I imagine, is not right. Confused

Here's a pic I found of the Trim Line:

^That matches what the instructions have in them (except ^that one zips together at the corners; the instructions show/say it's one-piece like the TA-2000 version), and it's quite different, mounting-wise, from the TA-2000 screen room.

chojinchef wrote:

Thinking to drill out existing rivets and replace. Give the awning material a good scrub. Clean up the exterior aluminum, especially where a previously sagging mount left a 3 foot wear mark from the top of the slider on the outer case. And maybe paint the end caps.

"yardbug" and I exchanged our vinyls, which meant disassembling the awning. It's not a big deal... pull the vinyl out of the case (need to remove some screws first), drill out the rivets on the roller caps, pull the vinyl out and go to town. Remember that it's a spring-loaded torsion assembly, so you'll want to rewind, so-to-speak, the roller/spring before reinserting the vinyl. In fact, yesterday, I realized I riveted the end cap back on in the wrong place; no slit at the right end, so the screen room stops short by about an inch after sliding it into the accessory track. d'oh!

As for new parts, you never know; Dometic might still have some available. If you need something, try contacting them. Wink

carterzest wrote:
Mmmmmm, home for BBB Laughing

I am counting the minutes Cool

Very Happy

And, 10 days to go! Dancing

carterzest wrote:
That is quite the awesome unit you have there Kam. Glad I do not have to tote that Twisted Evil

That looks HEAVY DUTY!

Emphasis on HEAVY! It all weighs a tad more than my inflatable kayak! Shocked Hence the reason it's been in a box in my garage the past 2 years. Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks identical to my Catalina except how the case opens.

I wonder wait it would take to flip the case??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kam -- Does Phoenix require a building permit to put that thing up?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
I wonder wait it would take to flip the case??

More than just flipping the case; the rafter arms would need to be re-worked as well. Do-able, but would take some work.

Ahwahnee wrote:
Kam -- Does Phoenix require a building permit to put that thing up?

Probably... that's why I live in Glendale. Wink Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
Lavabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im willing to sell my Trans Awn 2000, since i want to go with something lighter . work better on a vanagon than an eurovan or baywindows i think!!

Since its heavy i guess the sale will be more local!!

if interested PM me for a price!
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Trans-Awn 2000 installation instructions Reply with quote

Hey,
I was lucky enough to pickup a Trans-Awn 2000 off CL last summer. It came with 3 A&E Universal Van Adapter Kit mounting brackets and the Econo Room enclosure. I haven't been able to install them yet. I plan to paint them first.

It also came with the original installation and operation manuals. These docs include part numbers, installation and operation instructions and exploded part views.

I've scanned them to PDF but need help figuring out how to store and link to them on Samba. Any advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singletrackflow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Trans-Awn 2000 installation instructions Reply with quote

I was also lucky enough to pick up a A&E Trans-Awn 2000 (2.5m) this spring in decent condition, and for $20. Mine needed to have a rafter swivel replaced, and I realized pretty quickly that Dometic didn't have parts available anymore.

BUT, the Trans-Awn 2000 design is still being produced by Eezi-Awn as their 2000 model http://www.eezi-awn.co.za/eeziawn/series2000.html and a quick web search led me to a US distributor that can source parts. I used Equipt Expedition Outfitters http://www.equipt1.com/companies/eezi-awn/ to get new roof rack mounting brackets and a new rafter swivel. Paul and Kristen were great to deal with.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Trans-Awn2000 manual Reply with quote

Thanks for Everret for uploading this for me.

This is the Trans-Awn2000 manual, the Vanagon mounting manual, and the side tent manual. When I get all of mine mounted I'll post pictures.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/trans-awn2000.php

PDF direct link if you prefer that:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/trans-awn2000/Trans-Awn2000.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans-Awn2000 manual Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
This is the Trans-Awn2000 manual, the Vanagon mounting manual, and the side tent manual. When I get all of mine mounted I'll post pictures.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/trans-awn2000.php

Thanks for that. And I was all excited about the enclosure/side tent portion, only to read the details about the Econo Room; definitely not what I have. Mystery continues... Think
2016 Golf GTI S
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still have using mine

torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up our new Westy about three weeks ago and had planned to do a DIY awning until we could afford a proper one. As we were leaving, the PO said "Oh... do you want this too? I think it's an awning", and handed us a dirty but perfectly useable TransAwn. were were floored. Very Happy

One problem: The mounts were still in place, but when the awning is open, the sliding door rubs on the cover. Anyone know how much space there should be between the sliding door and the open cover?
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a A&E catilina 2500 by dometic that is on a truck, and is for sale. It is missing a leg, but I've thought of getting it for parts. I ordered the mounting kit, use three brackets. Recently ordered what they called hardware kit, it replaced the brittle broken pieces used to mount the feet of the upright poles to the body of the van.
Thirstytank
Samba Gaucho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Trans-Awn owners out there using the Vanagon GoWesty brackets?...I see some folks in this thread talking about it, but curious if anyone has had success with them on the Trans-Awn 2000.

Thanks,
Ryan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: