Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burning loads of Coolant. Safe for a trip?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LRWORLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Burning loads of Coolant. Safe for a trip? Reply with quote

I just found out my new rusty vanagon is burning lots of coolant. I'd say at least half a gallon within two gas fill ups. Is it safe to go on a long road trip and keep it topped off or should I bag the trip?

Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing the coolant problem? The engine was supposedly rebuilt 30k miles ago. I did see some white smoke coming from the engine bay after I parked (only once in the week I've owned it), but I haven't noticed any dripping or any other signs. Thanks
Nachtfalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the coolant going? Is it simply leaking at the water jacket seal or is the engine oil milky?

Water leak only: take lots of fluids, hope it doesnt get worse, life is an adventure
Milky engine oil: stay home.

My .02
LRWORLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine oil looks clear and good. I don't see any leak nor did the mechanic that checked it out last week. I'm going to give him a call and triple check the oil. Thanks for the tips. We'd love to break it in on our upcoming adventure this week.
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a lot of fluid to be losing. Cooling system problems can leave you stranded and could lead to a big repair bill if you don't fix them. I would address the issue before going on any major trips.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing the coolant problem?

yeah, park where it's clean and dry or lay cardboard under the whole vehicle,
top off the coolant and run it through a heat cycle.
check under the carpets around both heater cores while it's running...heat valves open of course.

watch the coolant bottles while it's going through the heat cycle and also crawl around underneath while it's going. looking for any leaks and or drips
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pack that baby up and send her off into the sunset Very Happy
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's safe whilst it's just dripping, so long as you keep it to level. BUT... it may well suddenly let go completely.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LONG trip....not advised.

Find the weeps and drips.

Loaded up and pushing hiway speeds in the summer heat may show its weakness at just the wrong time.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: leak Reply with quote

You might get lucky in finding the leak - white "smoke" from the engine bay usually means steam - sometimes from a pinhole sized opening that squirts fluid on a hot part of the engine while at temperature. You should definitely find the leak and deal with it before venturing out,
A couple of months ago I fixed a similar problem on my friend's VW caddy diesel truck - his daughter was driving it , got it home in clouds of "smoke" - he was away and since its just around the corrner from me asked me to take a look at it. I filled the coolant system, started it up and ran it while looking into the engine compartment - no leak, no drip, even when the engine warmed up. However, when I moved the throttle lever by hand and the engine revved up, a tiny thin jet of coolant started squirting out at the outside radius of one of the hoses going to the heater loop. It stopped when the engine was at idle and appeared when the engine was revved up - the extra output of the coolant pump at speed created enough pressure to make it appear. It was a pretty easy repair - one it was found.
Good luck - its never fun poking around a hot engine to find a leak so be careful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say this is a recent acquisition -- it's also possible that the cooling system was not properly bled when you got the van. If there is air in the system it will eventually find its way to the expansion tank -- creating the illusion that you have lost coolant.

Not saying that's it -- but just another possibility.

Reviewing The Case of the Missing Coolant... the suspects are:

. going out the tailpipe
. leaking out of the engine
. going into the oil
. wasn't there in the first place

Close observation should reveal which.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolant bottle next to the engine could also be cracked. I had one that only leaked when the system was hot and under pressure. There was no indication of a leak otherwise. It's a $60 fix for a new reservoir. You could also try and pressure test the coolant system and see if anything leaks.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_276_678/reservoir_-_pressurized_reservoir_86_-_91.html
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
The coolant bottle next to the engine could also be cracked. I had one that only leaked when the system was hot and under pressure. There was no indication of a leak otherwise. It's a $60 fix for a new reservoir. You could also try and pressure test the coolant system and see if anything leaks.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_276_678/reservoir_-_pressurized_reservoir_86_-_91.html

Excellent point PDX.
My daily driver with the wbx has gone through a few of those tanks in the last few years....they have flaws in them...they crack and split in the same areas.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

Excellent point PDX.
My daily driver with the wbx has gone through a few of those tanks in the last few years....they have flaws in them...they crack and split in the same areas.

THIS ! I pulled my dash because I could smell coolant. Only later did I find the acutal leak in the reservoir. Brick wall
kgeil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Advance Auto has a loaner "Coolant system pressure tester" which is a great first step. You hook it up and pump the pressure to 9psi (Don't trust me, check your bentley manual on the pressure), and then crawl under the van. It's nicer when things aren't so hot. With any luck, you'll find your leak then. After that, start up and run it for a while and double check.

At least if you can identify the leak before you leave, you can know what to check. I don't like to drive my vanagon with any kind of coolant leak, it's not quite as easy to notice when the motor is in the back, and I would think it's easy to drive it too far when you can't see the steam in front of you (or see the antifreeze all over your windshield).
Good luck.

Kevin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: