Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

please explain hydraulic valve adjustment
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: please explain hydraulic valve adjustment Reply with quote

Could someone please explain the adjustment of hydraulic lifters to me so I know what my mechanic is talking about?
Please specify the clearance and the 3/4 turn thing too.
Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: please explain hydraulic valve adjustment Reply with quote

You'd probably be best off just looking in at the valves and rockers. It's pretty apparent once you see what is going on in there. Just take a valve cover off when the engine is cool. It is easier than changing the bag on my vacuum cleaner...but a little messier sometimes. Many people recommend putting in a new gasket every time you open up your valve covers. Mine tend to leak with new gaskets and stop leaking once they are bloken in so, I reuse my gaskets until they are shot.

Hans
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: please explain hydraulic valve adjustment Reply with quote

There is no clearance with hydraulic lifters. You start with piston #1 in TDC position then without any slop in the push rod, turn the adjustment screw until it makes contact with the tip of the valve stem then turn the screw 2 more revolutions, then tighten the nut. Turn the engine 180 degrees counter-clockwise and do #2, then #3 then #4. It's really simple to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: please explain hydraulic valve adjustment Reply with quote

Ahhh 2 full turns after contact- got it. I read something on type2.com that talked about 3/4 turn.
Thanks
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: please explain hydraulic valve adjustment Reply with quote

Two full turns may be a somewhat outdated way of thinking on the hydro lifters. Personaly I turn mine 1/2-3/4 of a turn past contact.Take a look at Boston Bob's write up on hydros. http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/hydraulicll.htm
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: please explain hydraulic valve adjustment Reply with quote

I won't dispute Boston Bob but according to the Type2 archives the piston construction within the lifter allows for 4mm of travel. Since the idea is to center the piston using an adjusting screw with a 1mm thread pitch you need to go 2 turns:

http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/021817.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: