Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake bleeder..... cannot find local !!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69vwcarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Brake bleeder..... cannot find local !! Reply with quote

Hey guys quick question..... just put ALL new brake hardware on my 66 panel... new front wheel cylinders did not come with bleeders... nice.... ok so of to the parts store.... well .... the 10mm that they have seems super long and even when finger tight wobbled quite a bit... so the question is .. where can i get front bleeders for a 66 bus what is the exact size thread pitch??? or do i seriously have pay $28.. for 2 bleeder valves shipped and wait around for a week???? thanks guy at the autozone said to go to the VW dealer!!!!! Rolling Eyes
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe your new wheel cylinders came with-out bleeder valves..Maybe they were missing from the supplier,, Just a thought !! Bob king,,63 EZ , Long Beach ,, Ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering that too, they should have come with bleeders, possible mistake?
On the other hand, WW says the late ones don't come with them... weird:
BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDER, right front, 2 required per side, does not include bleeder valve, 1964-1970 Bus, Brazilian, each
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611070C
BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDER, left front, 2 required per side, does not include bleeder valve, 1964-1970 Bus, Brazilian, each
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611069C

BTW, the dealer might actually have those... they do have some random parts like that. Might not be cheap though.

Wolfsburg West has them for sort of cheap:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611475A
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611477
And of course the caps too
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611483
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69vwcarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy's yeah I got all new Brazilian wheel cylinders as Everett posted. Didn't notice the disclamer of NO bleeders.... uggg guess ill have to wait for the first drive!
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't transfer the bleeders from your old parts?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a real autoparts shop like NAPA and see if they have one. They usually have a bin of assorted bleeder screws in the back.

I will look to see if I have any on some old parts to give to you tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reasons like this is exactly why I keep a ton of extra parts laying around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don''t be surprised that when you locate the correct bleeders they are still loose! I bought those crappy KMM/chinese wheel cylinders for a project and ended up shitcanning all of them because they were so bad. I'm not sure how they managed to tap the bleeder holes oversize just enough so they leaked like a sieve even when tightened so much that the crappy CAST, yes, you read that right, CAST bleeder snapped. I went allKombisutra on the original ones and everything worked out well.

So, have Brazilian parts begun another slide down the slippery slope of worthlessness?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my brake cylinders on a 65. They did NOT come with new bleeders. You can get speed bleeders with built in check valves. Front size M10x1. I bought a pair at pep boys but the 2 other flap stores in my area only had them in a variety pack. The rear are M6x1. You can order them from mid america as I could not find a local supplier. You can bleed brakes by yourself with them. About $13 a pair. Nice to have Very Happy
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day... The bleeders were sold separately from the dealer. The 211 part number was replaced with a 411 number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the front cylinders couples to a pipe so not providing bleeders is only 50% goofy.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since this has been brought up, and I am doing my entire brake system soon, who either makes good aftermarket slave cylinders or even better rebuild kits for my existing ones.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: