Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tapping out an M11 to M12? Seat belt bolt question.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Tapping out an M11 to M12? Seat belt bolt question. Reply with quote

Failed attempt at replacing rear bench seat. The z-bed in non campers is held to nuts welded to the body which are M11 x 1.25, the same pitch and thread as the seat belt bolts. I knew going into the project that these bolts love to cross thread, and was careful but somehow crossthreaded one severely, and two just a little.

I'm not even sure an M11 x 1.25 tap could save the day, but they are certainly not available locally and reasonable cost shipping on Amazon is at least two weeks.

I have an M12 x 1.25 tap but have never used a tap for anything other than thread cleaning. Is upsizing these bolts to M12 using the tap I have a bad idea? These nuts are welded to the body so I don't want to screw it up. Thanks for any input I'm not exactly sure how obscure a question this might be.

-Rob
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapping out an M11 to M12? Seat belt bolt question. Reply with quote

Strange as it sounds, I think you may find that those are really 7/16" bolts. Take a good one down to a decent hardware store and match one up. Then buy a 7/16" tap of the correct pitch.

Mark

Robw_z wrote:
Failed attempt at replacing rear bench seat. The z-bed in non campers is held to nuts welded to the body which are M11 x 1.25, the same pitch and thread as the seat belt bolts. I knew going into the project that these bolts love to cross thread, and was careful but somehow crossthreaded one severely, and two just a little.

I'm not even sure an M11 x 1.25 tap could save the day, but they are certainly not available locally and reasonable cost shipping on Amazon is at least two weeks.

I have an M12 x 1.25 tap but have never used a tap for anything other than thread cleaning. Is upsizing these bolts to M12 using the tap I have a bad idea? These nuts are welded to the body so I don't want to screw it up. Thanks for any input I'm not exactly sure how obscure a question this might be.

-Rob
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: an idea... Reply with quote

If tapping it doesn't work out. Investigate using a blind nut... aka rivet nut... I used them all over my van to create threaded holes for mounting interior panels and cabinets. Search for them on amazon or where ever.

http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.aspx?itm=BNIS-053&gclid=CJux3ui27LgCFYtDMgod31UA9w
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tap it out carefully, once you have it started, i always turn turn in 1/4 turn, then back off 1/2 a turn, use cutting grease or some kind of lubricant, and don't hurry.
turning back after each cut will clean the tap, and shold leave you with a decent thread when you are done.
i have watched people just wind the tap through the hole and end up with a mess.
take your time, be sure you start off square, and take your time.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapping out an M11 to M12? Seat belt bolt question. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Strange as it sounds, I think you may find that those are really 7/16" bolts. Take a good one down to a decent hardware store and match one up. Then buy a 7/16" tap of the correct pitch.

Mark

They are actually metric 11 x 1.25 threads
Darn close to 7/16 x 20 used by the USA
So close that they will thread into each other.
11mm 0.4331
7/16. 0.4375

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapping out an M11 to M12? Seat belt bolt question. Reply with quote

They are so close that the factory VW Parts data says they are 7/16" bolts.

Mark

djkeev wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Darn close to 7/16 fine used by the USA

Dave
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up needing to tap them to M12x1.25 (which should work just fine), make sure you run a 27/64" drill bit (actually, the proper drill bit diameter for tapping a M12x1.25 is 10.80mm, but a 27/64" drill bit is 10.72mm which will work fine) through them before attempting to tap them. Otherwise you could end up breaking off the tap inside the nut and then you would have a real mess to deal with.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And..... Once you resize that hole purchase a proper grade hard bolt!

Not just any bolt can be used in such a critical safety point! A lesser bolt will simply shear off when stressed upon impact leaving your passenger free to flail helplessly about inside the vehicle at impact.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all seat belt anchors made on Planet Earth are spec'd to be SAE bolt threads

dunno re the seats themselves
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, VW says they are 7/16" used on many years and many models. The first is a shorter one, next a longer. Both described as 7/16" bolts, used on vanagon bench seats and seat belts.

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen...57799.html

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Screw--hex-hd/5341012/N98951601.html

Mark
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions and input!

From what I've read I am tempted to try a 7/16 x 20 tap, which is available locally, and try and re-use the factory bolts. If not plan B is M12. Thanks to Chris for the tip to drill and the size!

I also saw a trick on some muscle car forum to thread the tap through a nut first(in this case a 7/16 nut) and washer, and hold them against the surface to help with starting it straight, which is the part I'm most worried about.

This whole thing happened because I thought since I could pull a Z-bed from a junkyard van solo, easily, I could also install it solo... Not so! Not the whole assembly at least. You can only hold up one side at a time, and that angle tends to force the bolts to cross thread. If installing alone, unbolt the cushioned sections first!

-Rob
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapping out an M11 to M12? Seat belt bolt question. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
They are so close that the factory VW Parts data says they are 7/16" bolts.

Mark

djkeev wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Darn close to 7/16 fine used by the USA

Dave
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For thread posterity I will confirm that a 7/16 x 20 tap works very well in place of an M11 x 1.25, which is hard to find.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would call the difference between the two "negligible but existent" meaning you can tell there is a bit of a difference, as evinced by a more than usual amount of metal carved out by the tap, but nothing to worry about.

-Rob

Last edited by Robw_z on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the similarity was mentioned.

Glad that you got it sorted out!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definitely 7/16 bolts, all of the seat belt bolts in the van are that size just like crazyvwvanman said.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: