Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

German Ex-Bundeswehr/Military Syncros
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oorwullie, my statement was a broad generalization based on my limited expierance with a handful of vanagons so I'm sure it's completely inaccurate.
My point though is that Americans considering importing a European van should be prepared for the possibility that they will need to add or change a few things on any gas van imported to comply with the emissions rules in thier state.

Most of the European imports are sinkas and dokas because they were never sold here. Most of those that get shipped over are Swedish. Unfortunately the supply seems to be drying up Crying or Very sad

The 89 2wd 112i tristar I had a couple years back had no EVAP or o2 sensor. I can't remember if it had a cat or not.

My German market '85 Jadgwagen had no EVAP, cat or o2 (1.9 carbureted)

I just imported a 4dr Swedish 16" doka and its a 2.1 FI engine with no cat, o2 sensor or EVAP. It's got a vacuum advance distributor also.

I also helped a customer a couple years ago with a Swedish 2wd 88 doka. Same thing no cat, EVAP etc.

I also have a friend who is currently working on adding all this stuff to a German market '87 2wd van.

Again I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying I have yet to see a gas powered European vanagon that has all the parts needed for a California smog test.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok back to the topic of cool military vans. This one is not military but German police. When I was in Germany last I saw a couple of these. According to the owners they were originally police department vehicles.

Double sliding door sunroof police van
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note the flag holder on the b pilar. Super cool.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
Ok back to the topic of cool military vans. This one is not military but German police. When I was in Germany last I saw a couple of these. According to the owners they were originally police department vehicles.

Double sliding door sunroof police van

Note the flag holder on the b pilar. Super cool.

That's bitchin'! Do you have any other pics? I love the exterior color, and of course the *star interior and sunroof. Probably no AC, though.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:

If you need some "boots on the ground" I highly recommend Mike of Busman.be. He's in Belgium but travels all over Europe all the time and speaks at least 4 languages. He won't mind dragging a vanagon across a couple countries either.

I fully intend to use Busman.be services depending on when and how ready I will be to commit in the next year. I do plan on travelling to Germany next Spring and so I hope to have my own boots on the ground to verify at least "serviceable" rust free vehicles. I would not import anything without a trusted set of eyes to confirm the vehicle's condition.

WoW that copper dble sliding door/sunroof is AWESOME. No sense in limiting it to the ex-Bundeswehr vehicles heh? BUT, I do like the army green finish on the ex-military vans, and the utilitarian interiors.

My van of choice would be a diesel, even if it is one of the old 1,6 na diesels.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
You might also check autoscout24 .com or .de

Sweet^^^^^ Another site to spend lots of time cruising. Thanks Otis!

To give you an idea of where I wanna take this kind of T3 is best explained in pictures:

The base model:

The ideal interior:

The big dream:

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know, all swedish vehicles should have a cat from 1986.............

maybe you are being offered vehicles that are no longer legal in the country where they are?

maybe you mean something else by EVAP and not the 2 expansion vapour tanks in the front wheel arches?

you carry on and i'll shut the feck up. Idea

if you think you have trouble getting euro cars legal in the states you should see some of the stories about getting US vehicles street legal in switzerland............ Laughing
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this 86 Panel back in April from the Netherlands and you can see the emblem "Katalysator" which translate to english "Catalyst". The car pass California smog in May and I am waiting for my title from Sacramento. I think some of the European countires were already ahead of us with it come to enviromental issues.

Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that's a nice looking panel. I really like to look you have going there with the rims and the racks/bumper. Want to share some more pictures please ? (sorry not trying to hijack this thread)
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
Damn that's a nice looking panel. I really like to look you have going there with the rims and the racks/bumper. Want to share some more pictures please ? (sorry not trying to hijack this thread)

Just click on my name and you can view some of the photos I've posted. Thanks for the kind complements and the van has been a blast to own.
sxw744
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is mine, twin difflock, rough road package, it is ex radio b/w not cut the hole for the roof yet, need the courage and weather! i can enquire where my friend got it for me when in Germany, although this was 5 years ago

[/url]

Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXW744: I like it, thanks for sharing.

So do you find that most of the Ex-Bundeswehr come with the NON-rock and roll rear bench seats?

FaceHook:
sxw744
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, mine was basic seating, so took some seats from a GL, which are more comfy, and the side panel is from a multivan, this suits my needs, and when the roof is cut, that is where my bed will be. this was when they came here, both were identical, but both JX turbo diesel.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: