Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super beetle front camber problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Super beetle front camber problem Reply with quote

I recently replaced the struts on my 72 super beetle. Upon doing so I found that the camber is WAY positive to the point where it is visible. My tires are wasting away and I've found that my eccentric adjustments are all the way out, as positive as they'll allow. I'm about to do like on other cars and push the top of the shock towers in by slotting out the holes for the mounting bolts. Is this an acceptable procedure on a super bug or is there something I'm missing?

"Never name your car...too much unhealthy emotional connection coupled with your human dark/light,yin/yang energy affects the mechanical health of the vehicle and causes magnetic convergences like the one you just had.that, or some old f**k backed into your car,its hard to tell..." -johnnypan
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your camber bolts are wound so they are as far out as they go that is why you have so much positive camber.

Bringing them back in toward the center will give more negative camber but if thats not enough you need a camber plus kit from Topline:

http://toplineparts.com/lower-your/camber-kit-for-71-to-73-super-beetle-88-2511.html

slotting the towers isnt a good idea as they are not that strong to start with, that is why a strut brace is a good idea on any Super driven harder than Nanna driving to church on Sundays.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try turning them in, but as far as I can tell that will bring the lower control arms inward causing the top of the tire to lean outward aka positive camber. That's what I already have. If there's something wrong with what I just said let me know.

"Never name your car...too much unhealthy emotional connection coupled with your human dark/light,yin/yang energy affects the mechanical health of the vehicle and causes magnetic convergences like the one you just had.that, or some old f**k backed into your car,its hard to tell..." -johnnypan
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry total brainfart moment there, can tell I've spent too long with lowered Supers not lifted.

Toplines camber plus kit I posted will still help though, it gets an extra degree over stock.

Instead of slotting the upper tower bolts which will only weaken and already weak area you can get adjustable upper strut housings.
They are not cheap though.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'll definitely check that out then. I could probably stand new bushings there as it is. I know 1 degree is a lot, but I still hope that takes care of it. This thing is waaaaay out.

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strut towers may be bent outwards slightly to adding to the problem.
A strut brace can help pull them back in.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strut brace attaches between the tops of the two towers right? How can they bring the towers back In without slotting the holes?

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's only thin metal there it flexes.
they are probably bent outwards, a strut brace would bring them back into the original position and keep them there.
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into it then. Thanks!

Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try the camber + bolts first, but I may look into the strut bar even if that takes care of it. What strut bar would you recommend?

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for the baja Super in your sig? Has the car been used off road at all?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed, and I have no idea what the previous owners did with it. I can only assume its been off road before, but I'm still in the process of getting it to the point where I feel safe taking it off road. I never had any problems with the camber until I changed the struts.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: