Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Westy Owner... My Introduction.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: New Westy Owner... My Introduction. Reply with quote

Hey there guys... my name is Abel, I'm in Houston TX and Im a complete noob to the Vanagon community. I just purchased an 87 Westy a couple of weeks ago from a private seller in Phoenix AZ and have since had it transported home...

I've been browsing the Samba classifieds for about 6 months looking for a Westy to buy and have always missed out on them. I've never had as hard a time locating a vehicle for sale as I have for this one. It was crazy.

On a daily basis I'd browse TheSamba and Craigslist from all over searching for a Westy and I was fortunate enough to find one in Phoenix that had not been sold yet. I spoke to the sellers and I immediately bought a round trip flight to Phoenix to check out the Westy... I was sold immediately!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whats funny is one of the things I noticed about the Westy is it had a tile floor installed and I wasnt too crazy about it simply because of the extra weight added so I ran a google image search to see what a stock vanagon floor looked like. One of the results was a photo from 2005 of the exact floor in my Westy posted here on TheSamba. Member BIG B was on of the previous owners of the Westy I just bought and is the one that installed the floor. so cool!

Link here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134736

Original pic from BIG B :

After further review of the mechanical history of the Westy I also found out that the owner that purchased the 87 Westy from BIG B was also a member here on the forum by the name of HERSELF.

Its pretty cool to go back through their posts and get a glimpse of their experiences with the Westy that I just bought.

One thing I would like to say to both of those previous owners is Thank you for keeping such detailed records of its history. I inherited a binder and a folder full of detailed mechanical records and receipts. Wow, this has been a major benefit indeed!

Anyways.. I just thought I'd introduce myself and share this little story with you guys.. I've already learned so much from reading through the forum and I look forward to many happy years with my 87 Westy. BIG B & HERSELF, I promise I'll take good care of her. =)
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bumpers are sweet. I want to make ones like that for my Baywindow.

My pops lives at Memorial and Kirkwood...maybe I'll get to see your Westy when I'm down there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Those bumpers are sweet. I want to make ones like that for my Baywindow.

My pops lives at Memorial and Kirkwood...maybe I'll get to see your Westy when I'm down there.

Im not far from there at all... Westheimer/Beltway!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rig! Welcome and please keep us posted on your adventures!

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have a living room full of GoWesty parts just waiting to be put on... lol.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very nice bumpers and I like that lower trim too. Also looks like someone replaced all the window trim as well, as my 87 has what I think used to be silver trim, that's now faded and doesn't look so good...Enjoy!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Congratulations! Very nice bumpers and I like that lower trim too. Also looks like someone replaced all the window trim as well, as my 87 has what I think used to be silver trim, that's now faded and doesn't look so good...Enjoy!

tam

yea both front windows had their trim completely replaced a few years ago. new power mirrors as well.

Im not a fan of lower trim. The rubber has shrunk and doesnt fit well. I would remove it but the worst part is that its been riveted into the body panels. ouch. Sometime in the next 6 months or so if I do get it repainted those trim pieces will be removed and holes filled in.

The bumpers are GoWesty bumpers. They are very nice and Ive already bought a couple of accessories to bolt up to them. Thankfully when I bought the Westy it have both front and rear GW Bumpers as well as the 16" wheel upgrade.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first night home I swapped out the stock non-working speedometer for a refurbished Gowesty +7% Speedo. Plan to add the larger BFG tires soon so I opted for the calibrated speedo.

I have a few things laying in wait to get installed...

woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my personal opinion but you should consider tinting your windows in limo tint. It looks awesome on white vans and it may be a theft deterrent if you keep expensive photography equiptment in you van.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
You should tint your windows in limo tint. It looks awesome on white vans and it may be a theft deterrent if you keep expensive photography equipment in you van.

Looks good indeed! Getting it tinted is definitely on the to-do list. Its tough not having tinted windows here in Texas... it just gets crazy hot in the summer.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tinted windows. Used some whizbang 3M extra UV proof stuff. It was expensive. $400. Perfect now for 5 years plus. Life is too short for cheap tint that turns purple and falls off....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I have the tinted windows. Used some whizbang 3M extra UV proof stuff. It was expensive. $400. Perfect now for 5 years plus. Life is too short for cheap tint that turns purple and falls off....

A bit off the topic of WELCOME. r39o , so cheap tint turn Purple...didn't know if it was a choice or a symptom. I've seen Purple Tint B4 but I thought it was part of the bling. Jacked up rear end...skinny tires all around...shimmering paint color that changes color from different views...loud bass that rattles the whole vehicle and the vehicles around it. So...its the cheap stuff that changes color. I may install window tint but want it to remain the same color for quite some time.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Westy out camping this past weekend and had a chance to start developing a list of mods/additions I need to make in order to make her a bit more comfortable.

1. LIGHTS!!!

I was really surprised there was only the one light inside above the stove area. hehe. I definitely plan to add a bunch more LED lights throughout the van and inside the cabinets etc. this should help out a ton.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it begins. Nice purchase and that's a good pile of parts you have there. Keep us all updated.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a Westy in action down there. I grew up on the north side of Houston (Conroe/Woodlands) and never saw a Vanagon or Westy.. Now that I live up here in Seattle, I can't throw a rock without hitting one. Smile

Man, I'd hate to sit on I-10 traffic between the Beltway and 610 in a Westy though. Smile
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked that floor is hideous! and good idea to lose the lower trim...tacky!
but your Westy is beautiful.
Keep the updates coming
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: