Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much electricity is actually used?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: How much electricity is actually used? Reply with quote

I have a couple of medical devices I need to run from battery power while my wife and I camp. We have been staying only in places with power but would like to stop doing so. How can I determine the actual electrical usage over a night. Is there something I can plug into the wall and then plug her O2 concentrator, for example, into when she goes to bed that will tell the overnight usage?

I intend to add house batteries and solar panels but need to understand how much I need.

r

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device itself should list power consumption on it, either in watts or amps. There must be a label somewhere. You could also look up the device online; I did that for a small coffee maker before purchasing for my Syncro.
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
The device itself should list power consumption on it, either in watts or amps. There must be a label somewhere. You could also look up the device online; I did that for a small coffee maker before purchasing for my Syncro.

Sorta. But the number is not very meaningful. One of the devices lists 120 watts but I can run it for three nights (8-10 hours/night) on a old, tired, 60 amp/hr battery through a 400 watt inverter. This should be 10 amps per hr times 27 hours = 270 amps!

I want something that will measure the actual usage.

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uther wrote:
...I want something that will measure the actual usage.

An ammeter in series with the device will measure what it is drawing. A cheap (sometimes free) one from Harbor Freight would be enough to give you a rough idea (I suppose the accuracy of these is suspect but like I said - a rough idea).

If you know the draw then you can work out what it will do vis a vis your battery capacity over a period of time.

I've never tried it but seems you would put the ammeter between the battery and the inverter for the best measurement.
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill a watt

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

The listed power consumption on the back of devices is the maximum they can pull, not the average that they pull. While this will be the same on some devices, not all.

Plug the appliance into a Kill a watt, get a reading over a certain amount of time, then do some math, adding 15% for inverter inefficiency
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 120 watt figure may represent the maximum surge at start up. I agree a good way to go would be to test it with an amp meter and the cheap one from harbor freight should get the job done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-MONITOR-DC-LCD-DIG...vi-content

Or something similar....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-MONITOR-DC-LCD-DIG...vi-content

Or something similar....

This is WAYYY out of my league. What I know about electricity is that you plug some widget or the other in, turn it on and it works. If not you try turning it on/off a few times, plug it in somewhere else and if both of those fail, buy a new widget. I have no idea how to use a battery monitor or honestly any electrical tools. I was hoping there was something out there that measured the total amount of electricity used by whatever was plugged into it... and was cheap!

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocreditnodebt wrote:
Kill a watt

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Plug the appliance into a Kill a watt, get a reading over a certain amount of time, then do some math, adding 15% for inverter inefficiency

This is exactly what I'm looking for - assuming that I understand what it does. I just ordered one.

Thanks so much...

r

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the real killer. Many people discharge their batteries to death via over optimistic guesses at how much power you can pull out of them.

You need to determine your true needs and balance that against just how much energy you can safely pull from a given configuration.

You will likely find you needs quite high actually.

You may consider spots with shore power to be the safe thing to do and hence limit yourself to those places.

For the true story on batteries: http:www.batteryuniversity.com

This energy topic comes up frequently around here, and from an engineers stand point, I see many people who are not nice to their power sources, unless you consider new batteries every year to be OK.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Here's the real killer. Many people discharge their batteries to death via over optimistic guesses at how much power you can pull out of them.

You need to determine your true needs and balance that against just how much energy you can safely pull from a given configuration.

I agree. It's the "determine your true needs" part that I can't figure out. O2 generators, CPAPs, and BiPAPs are not the sort of things that are listed on the usual "how much battery power do you need" charts. I can find lots of info about the fridge, various heating options, TVs, radio, laptops, phones, and such.

Does anyone use an O2 generator while camping? Surely we're not the only people who still want to camp with breathing problems.

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: camping and battery life Reply with quote

uther wrote:
I agree. It's the "determine your true needs" part that I can't figure out. O2 generators, CPAPs, and BiPAPs are not the sort of things that are listed on the usual "how much battery power do you need" charts. I can find lots of info about the fridge, various heating options, TVs, radio, laptops, phones, and such.

Does anyone use an O2 generator while camping? Surely we're not the only people who still want to camp with breathing problems.

Blue Bay Bus X-2 on the kill a watt, use one all the time. Works great when you are on shore power or hooked up to an inverter. Not so much on 12 volt. Use my solar MPPT charge controller for keeping tabs on my 12 volt system. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-MPPT-solar-charge-cont...417601ca97 Been camping in a VW bus-van since 1966 and never heard of someone using a O2 generator. So keep it up, keep camping, and good luck. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For devices like you list, given the important nature of them, I would certainly purchase a small generator and not rely soley on battery power. A Honda EUI 1000 can be had for $500 used and would be a wise investment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: