Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kellison Astra Body
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frobead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Kellison Astra Body Reply with quote

I have a Kellison Astra car in my collection, but have found very little information on the web about this particular Kellison. I am curious if anyone else has an Astra out there and can provide some information.

It is running and driving, and I will be giving it a new paint job next week!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article about Kellison

http://www.kitcarmag.com/thehistoryof/0505kc_kellison_kit_cars/viewall.html

This is the part about it:

Astra VW-GT 2+2: A VW-based kit that vaguely resembled a Ford GT, but appeared to be roughly based on a Fiberfab Aztec. It was made by Allied Fiberglass, but I don't know if Kellison had anything to do with its design or production.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designed by Kellison, marketed by Allied: http://www.kellisoncars.com/
Click the GT40 link.
http://thumbnails.homestead.com/files/9019.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redfarmer84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison Astra Body Reply with quote

frobead wrote:
I have a Kellison Astra car in my collection, but have found very little information on the web about this particular Kellison. I am curious if anyone else has an Astra out there and can provide some information.

It is running and driving, and I will be giving it a new paint job next week!

I have recently acquired (last week) one myself and I am in the same situation as you. I can not find ANYTHING on this car but the faint description listed in this thread. I plan to do a full restoration on mine and make it a regular driver and keep to show, etc. I am already looking for a late style pan and transaxle becuase mine has the '67 style and since it needs rust repair, I'm gonna update to the later style. Hopefully the body will fit, and I think it will. Hopefully I can get a wealth of info on this car from this website, but so far from what I have experienced; its possible there isn't alot of them out there and not much info. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment, and there are more in the Gallery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great body style!!

There's a race car builder/driver in northern Alabama that had a few of these and lots of other old kit cars and vintage race cars. I think his name is Dave something and I may even have his phone number somewhere.

His shop is an old church that's been converted into a race & fabrication shop. As I recall, it's along Hwy 157, northwest of Cullman.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redfarmer84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Great body style!!
There's a race car builder/driver in northern Alabama that had a few of these and lots of other old kit cars and vintage race cars. I think his name is Dave something and I may even have his phone number somewhere.
His shop is an old church that's been converted into a race & fabrication shop. As I recall, it's along Hwy 157, northwest of Cullman.

Yeah, I think I saw something for sale in Cullman on eBay. I will have to try and contact him. Maybe he can give me some information on these and help me out some. If I recall, I read somewhere on the internet (a forum post), that only 20 of these models were made. Of course, I don't believe that until I see it but maybe it is something rare?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it is rare. But don't equate rarity with valuable.

Looks like a nice basic kit. Just about any type 1 pan will fit (others with mods). Headroom will be tight and seat selection is sometimes difficult.

I don't know about the Astra but my Avenger's doors took hours and hours to make work right. Back then the doors were often just fiberglass shells that were in no way designed to hold the weight of the glass and the constant opening and closing. I probably added 10 lbs of steel plate to the hinge areas and 10 feet or square tubing per door to help stiffen them.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a nice VW place (if you count old cars around a dilapidated building as "NICE" like I do!) on US 78 between Oxford and Lincoln, AL - just off I-20 W @ exit 185. You can't miss the 50 + VW's lining the hill. I've been told he has a lot of experience in kit cars, though I never talked to him personally when I was there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Kellison Astra GT project. Here are some photos of my Kellison Astra GT project.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lines! Different body GT or did you do some work to it?
whcgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is an Kellison Astra GT, with unique bodywork. I bought my Astra GT, right here on thesamba. I bought last Christmas. I am currently doing alot of electrical work to it. It has a 2180cc dual port engine in it.
oldSchoolRestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: ... ASTRA VW GT ... Reply with quote

The blue ASTRA is a nice looking ride....

As to the earlier posts...KELLISON HAD NOTHING to do with this car... Allied took a pop from the early Fiberfab AZTEC with the short front, and changed the rear window..otherwise it is a pure pop-off

.. We have had many Aztecs and Kellisons over the years.. and specialize in the mid-engine chassis that Fiberfab deisgned...

Website is[url] http://www.race-cardrivers.com/shop.htm [/url]and we can be contacted by email [url] [email protected][/url]

Dave Perry[/img]
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ... ASTRA VW GT ... Reply with quote

Kellison had nothing do do with the Astra GT? It has always been my understanding that Kellison/Allied where one in the same.

I am not surprised about the GT being a pop off. After all Kellison did that exact thing with a David Loring car called the Gezelle . Later renaming it the shark. Same car with a few tweaks.

oldSchoolRestorations wrote:
The blue ASTRA is a nice looking ride....

As to the earlier posts...KELLISON HAD NOTHING to do with this car... Allied took a pop from the early Fiberfab AZTEC with the short front, and changed the rear window..otherwise it is a pure pop-off

.. We have had many Aztecs and Kellisons over the years.. and specialize in the mid-engine chassis that Fiberfab deisgned...

Website is[url] http://www.race-cardrivers.com/shop.htm [/url]and we can be contacted by email [url] [email protected][/url]

Dave Perry[/img]

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I had thought as well. Strange that the Astra GT shows up on the aforementioned Kellison link page above in their photo archives. And advertisements (under Allied)... Rolling Eyes

And this link confirms that Kellison and Astra were essentially one in the same, or at least shared a common parent company: http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/fiberglass-car-...affiliate/

And here: http://www.kitcarmag.com/thehistoryof/0505kc_kellison_kit_cars/viewall.html

So whether or not it was a copy of the Aztec, which it very well could be, doesn't make it any less an Astra/Kellison product.
oldSchoolRestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison Reply with quote

The ASTRA GT was a continuation of the Kellison J6, built under license, and the J6 was a Jim Kellison Design.... The ASTRA VW GT was NOT.

I have an ASTRA VW GT here, as well as several Aztecs, and have owned more than a dozen Kellisons..... The ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison, Kellison never had anything to do with it,

and you will not find ANY advertising of it by the Kellison Company The ASTRA GT has caused the (Aztec pop) ASTRA VW GT to have been erroneously listed as a Kelllison on the Kellison site, then G Hacker picked up the same mis-infprmation and repeated it on Forgotten Fiberglass, and the error continues to circulate.......

If you believe everything you read on the internet, you will be often mis-lead, if you do not look for facts to back it up.
Lots of "facts" are just repeated rhetoric, and are not 'fact checked' by the poster..
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison Reply with quote

Not trying to stir the pot, but where do your facts come from? Im not saying your wrong but I would be curious to know there your info comes from. I always like correct info

oldSchoolRestorations wrote:
The ASTRA GT was a continuation of the Kellison J6, built under license, and the J6 was a Jim Kellison Design.... The ASTRA VW GT was NOT.

I have an ASTRA VW GT here, as well as several Aztecs, and have owned more than a dozen Kellisons..... The ASTRA VW GT is NOT a Kellison, Kellison never had anything to do with it,

and you will not find ANY advertising of it by the Kellison Company The ASTRA GT has caused the (Aztec pop) ASTRA VW GT to have been erroneously listed as a Kelllison on the Kellison site, then G Hacker picked up the same mis-infprmation and repeated it on Forgotten Fiberglass, and the error continues to circulate.......

If you believe everything you read on the internet, you will be often mis-lead, if you do not look for facts to back it up.
Lots of "facts" are just repeated rhetoric, and are not 'fact checked' by the poster..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: