Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Westfalia Cooktop Operation - What am I missing?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: 1982 Westfalia Cooktop Operation - What am I missing? Reply with quote

Right, I'm the guy who found his long lost Westfalia this Spring and bought it again after 12 years when I ran across it on Craigslist hundred of miles away in another state.

I lived in this thing for 6 months 12 years ago while traveling the back roads of America and I probably cooked hundreds of meals on the two burner stove...(usually just boiled water really) So... I go to light one of the burners today, after turning on the propane under the van....

The knobs on the stove don't turn. I can push them in and out, I try to push in and turn and nothing, it's like they're locked.

Is there some safety lock mechanism I never knew existed?

I can't believe I even have to ask this question.. go easy on me, huh?

Amazingly... I'm preparing the van for sale. Yep, bought it back on a whim after being away from it for so long, but I just bought an '84 911 Carrera.. so that, and the Holiday Inn will be my new camping. I just can't keep them both. I only drove it like a hundred miles this Summer... it was the right vehicle for me in my mid 20s, but just not now I guess.

Check out the AdVANture Travelogue: 12,000 miles on the back roads of America in a VW Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need new knobs. The PO probably sheared off the stops from turning them too far.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1502_1123/westy_stove_knobs.html

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Sounds like you need new knobs. The PO probably sheared off the stops from turning them too far.

Oh no, not new knobs!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
You're in trouble now!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262652
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just put it up for sale and say -- 'Stove is fine but knobs don't seem to turn; easy fix'.

Seriously, you are correct to repair the small stuff before you try to sell. Sorry your Westy reunion didn't take hold -- perhaps someday you'll be back.

Lots of ex-Porsche owners in the world, lots of ex-Westy owners too. I wonder which group has the best memories of their prior vehicles?
Panzer82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knobs seem fine, I can pull them off and then re-attach the plastic knob to the metal posts sticking out from the stove just fine, they look to be completely intact... the plastic pieces certainly are.

They just don't turn.

I don't normally get sentimental about vehicles... but this Westy, it's a real part of my life. That 6 months, on the road, by myself the Spring and Summer of 2000, I turned 26 years old on the trip, the people I met, the places I saw... truly unforgettable.

I suppose space and lack of use are the reasons for selling.

If I had a personal museum I would put it in there, but nobody would ever really visit that museum but me if I had it anyway.

Funny how these machines can end up meaning so much to us... or be the object that takes us to that place of meaning. Just amazing things.

Check out the AdVANture Travelogue: 12,000 miles on the back roads of America in a VW Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I mis-read your original post. Thought you said they were free turning.

Maybe that they are frozen from non-use. Take the knobs off and try gently, but firmly turning with some pliers. May break free.

If not it sounds like you'll have to pull the front panel and try to determine whats up. Maybe a little spray lube to free up corrosion.

Good luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Panzer82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three cheers for MsTaboo....

Is there anything a little WD-40 and a pair of pliers can't fix?

Thanks.

I guess I could have tried that... it just felt like something was deliberately "locked", I just didn't imagine it could have been stuck like that from non use.

Just listed the Van on Craigslist here in Minneapolis Sad

mineoryours
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: westfalia stove knob will not turn , problem fixed Reply with quote

Anyone who has experience the stove knob that is stuck and will not turn, you are in luck.

You will need to remove the front stove panel. Do not just spray lubricant all over the valve, lubricant will not reach the area where it needs to be.

1. remove the two stove knobs, and then the two 15mm nuts behind it.

2. remove the water/electric panel two Phillips screws, put the panel back inside and behind the front panel, it will fit behind the opening. This way you do not need to remove any wiring.

3. remove the three small phillip head screws found below/under the face of the panel, you have to look up from below to see them , one on either side and one in the middle, they are there. sometimes they have been removed and not put back on .

4. remove the two phillip head screws on either side of the stove panel, one behind the driver's seat and the other is on the left side stove panel, most are hidden under the plastic covers brown or grey(pry the covers off with a knife or a small flat head screwdriver).

5. to remove the face panel, first pull the bottom of the face panel out first and then downwards and the panel will come out really easily.

6. it is usually the right side knob that will not turn, not sure why but it happens. Remove the two flat head screws that holds the valve on and small spring,and remove the valve.

7. Spray a heavy amount of WD40 or similar lubricant in and around the larger valve housing it has a slot on either side of it, you will see the valve housing after removing the valve body. It is impossible to get to this area without removing the valve first(anyone who tells you to just spray lubricant and turn the valve with a pair of pliers is an idiot, you will just break your knob handle or worse the metal rod that holds the knob).

8. after a few minutes after spraying the lubricant, use the valve that you have removed and put into the slot and give it a wiggle, if it does not turn, spray additional lubricant and give it another try, it will turn. Don't force it , it will break loose the oxidation inside there.

9. putting it all back is much faster now that you have figured out how to remove the panel.

10. go and enjoy your burners now they are working like new again.
Panzer82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this write up about knobs... I actually sold the van last Summer... I put less than 200 miles on it before deciding it just wasn't for me at this point in my life... Got an old Porsche 911... I'll get another Westfalia someday.

furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzer82 wrote:
Thanks for this write up about knobs... I actually sold the van last Summer... I put less than 200 miles on it before deciding it just wasn't for me at this point in my life... Got an old Porsche 911... I'll get another Westfalia someday.

so much for sentiment
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Panzer82 wrote:

so much for sentiment

there's sentiment, and there's needing to find somewhere to keep a vehicle that does not get used, great if you have the space, if not Sad

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: