Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Subaru 2.2 Legacy, part it out or sell as is?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: 1990 Subaru 2.2 Legacy, part it out or sell as is? Reply with quote

Hey gang,

I have a 1990 Subaru Legacy 2.2 with 160K on the engine. Some body dents, it's not a looker by any stretch. That being said, it runs just fine, never any big issues... it's just time to start looking for a new Booru for the wife.

I'm thinking of letting it go sometime in the next 6 months, and my question for all you engine swappers is this: is the engine suitable for a Vanagon drop in or am I better off selling it whole on the open market? I've got a Bostig in my Westy or else I'd at least consider keeping it for myself.

For those of you looking for Subaru engines, are you looking for lower miles? Or a 2.5 optimally? Is this engine at least a contender for a Vanagon swap?

BTW, I'm not fishing for a sale with this post. Nothing's happening for a few months around this vehicle. Just looking for some grizzled wisdom from y'all.

Thanks,

Stephen in Seattle

Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amount of time and $$ in parts it takes to put a Subaru in a vanagon, I don't see the reason to go with a 2.2 anymore unless you're in CA.

Spending a few $$ on a 2.5 gives a significant boost in power and no decrease in mpg over a 2.2 actually you can pull taller gearing with the 2.5 so you can see better mileage with a 2.5.

I'd just sell the whole car. You won't make that much more parting it (especially if the body is dented) and it takes lots of time and space.

They're good cars, especially if the transmission is still going strong, just sell the whole thing.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '90 is less desireable because it isn't compatable with a diagnostic tool and there are parts that are specific to the auto or manual donor that it came from. 92+ donors are a better choice.
I would sell it whole.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect for a frankenmotor swap. Value is about $700 Sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses gang. Y'all rawk.

Stephen

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90 and 91 are known to have oil consumption issues especially under van load.

PLUS I have seen more than one crack the block lately too. Seen it in hot rodded buggies too. Maybe too much load or thermal cycling.

So ya, Frankenmotor fodder!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: