Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I am no longer Westy owner!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: I am no longer Westy owner! Reply with quote

After almost 9 years we sold our 91 Westy today to some nice folks. We had good times but to be honest I grew a bit tired of staying on top of everything and always felt that the van was a potential financial time bomb. I received almost exactly what van cost me when purchased 9 years and 100,000 kilometers ago, it cost us about $500 per year in upkeep. Van no longer met our needs for our family of 4.

Best of all I now have permission to buy a convertible, with the only mandate being that it seat 4 for occasional family use. Any opinions on VW Eos?

Thank for everyone's help over the years

SG

Last edited by speedygeorge on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your having to cut it free but happy for you that it basically was a wash.

Now why can't some people be more like this guy and simply say "had good time... but no longer met our needs" instead of trolling for the samba rage as found in other threads that need no mentioning. Question

Hope your convertible brings you lots of happiness.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best of all I now have permission to buy a convertible

Sunroof Syncro time Idea Dancing
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Adios... Reply with quote

Sounds like you had fun with the Westy.
Will you be Hotel/motel now?
Wait till you take the $$ hit from that New Conv. + insur. & upkeep.
Sounds fun though! New is always nice! Laughing
Enjoy! See ya around if/when you come back.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for not pulling a Raven on your way out.
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Adios... Reply with quote

Nimbus'87 wrote:
Sounds like you had fun with the Westy.
Will you be Hotel/motel now?
Wait till you take the $$ hit from that New Conv. + insur. & upkeep.
Sounds fun though! New is always nice! Laughing
Enjoy! See ya around if/when you come back.

We have been doing more condo and cottage stuff, I have grown tired of putting kids to bed at campgrounds that are far to loud. My son didn't want me to sell it and I said would you rather go back to Hawaii for 2 weeks next year or camp, guess what he said, "OK you can sell it"

Looking at 3 year old Eos with 35k kilometers for half of new.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 a year?! What a money pit. Rolling Eyes

Good luck when the "new" vehicle is out of warranty and breaks down, which it will eventually. You'll spend that $500 just to get the check engine light to go out. Laughing
stubble88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corvette tires will not be cheap either.

I'm on my second one after a 4 year break

You'll be back....they always come back Shocked
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have kept it, time protected it and let it sit.

Once your kids are gone you will say......."I sure wish we had kept that old camper, that would be great to travel around and see each kid and their families!"

Mark my words! Been there....... Doing just that!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT buy the EOS. That top IS a time financial time bomb!

I own vintage Mercedes convertibles. In the case of a classic car - top goes up and so does the price.

Modern car is just like any other car, price just goes down down down for a long time.....

Get a Porsche. Some 3.2 powered one or a 951 even. Those will hold their own, for example.

But the Porsche is NOT a every day car, just the Westy was not. They cost money to keep.

I do NOT drive my Mercedes much. Family says too loud and too valuable.....and I can, take only, at most 2 extra people. Totally useless.

The Vanagon is fine compromise between just old enough and not too valuable that I feel OK to drive it around.

Vacations in Hawaii, sure. This year we went to Washington DC and drove North en a rental boring car...... Can not easily take the Vanagon with us when we go to Asia. All OK. We take nice day trips with the Vanagon too. Beach, park, shopping, going to eat, Sunset watching and drinking. Drive in movies. The wife appreciates it with or with out kids. (My kids are scouts / back packers and tenting or what ever is all fine for us, too.)

Every body has a different set of things they think is OK.

I bet you WILL miss the Westy at some point.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at early eos , the 2.0T has cam/HPFP issues . There is an extended warranty on this issue up to 192000kms , providing you have all oil change receipts . Otherwise a great motor . Reasonably priced parts because of the golf/Jetta mechanical parts sharing . But like any modern car it will devalue quite fast .

Your story of not loosing any money but maintenance costs on your vanagon is typical . Vanagons, westies in particular are a great automotive investment!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a maintenance cost on the westy of $42 per month you ended after 9 years recouping your initial cost.

The 2010 VW Eos Convertible will cost you a no interest payment of $150(?) per month PLUS maintenance costs added in and after 9 years when it is paid off, you will recoup maybe 30% of your initial cost if you're lucky.

What family-of-4 needs are met with a convertible that aren't met with a westy?

Don't get me wrong, if you want a convertible and not a westy then by all means you should get one. Vanagons are certainly not for everyone.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you certainly did good at $500/year, so not regrets there! Certainly fine to move on - have fun!

I have hardly seen any Eos around, and probably due to the price. You can get a new Camaro or Mustang convertible for less money, and, I think, much better looking. Although they are not a "hard top" convertible.

I rented a V6 Auto Mustang a few years back and I was impressed. I got 26 mpg with it, flogging it through the Mountains of Washington state, so I am sure with a manual on the highway, I could manage near 30. My only complaint was that the interior on the one I rented was a bit cheap looking. Power was good, handling was very good.

I have no idea on how the back seat compares on these, but I suggest driving several models. this site might help http://autos.aol.com/car-finder/style-convertible/5/

I vote for a used (sunroof) 911 instead! Very Happy
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going on the sale! Now you can rent a Westy camper when you go on holiday and not have to worry about maintenance costs! I just did that in Scotland and had a great time!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I am no longer Westy owner! Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:

Best of all I now have permission to buy a convertible, with the only mandate being that it seat 4 for occasional family use. Any opinions on VW Eos?

SG

Here's what I roll...

I can't recommend it if you're not comfortable fixing things.
The auto tops and trans are notorious, so I converted both to manual and am very happy with it.
I'm now looking at the later A4-based Quattro Cabriolets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been in this discussion, I was out playing golf with all my new found free time Smile I loved my time as an owner and get what's it all about, unfortunately my wife ends up driving it and doesn't like it because I tell her not to drive it hard and don't put tons of miles on it. I am replacing with a Honda Odyssey (yes I am aware of transmission problem and it has been replaced) but the deal is a steal and now we can transport my sons and their friends with shoulder belts and headrests Smile and I don't care how she drives it.

The van was awesome when their were 2 of us driving to California and stealth parking by the beach or finding just the right street to park on at night (can't do that with kids as raised tent is a giveaway). At the end of the day it was just time to move on.

I always had convertibles and luckily money is not a constraint,owning the van was never about saving money.

Farewell and keep living the dream.

Ken
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be back.

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy .......

you sold what was one of the nicest looking vans in Victoria! Saw you parked in a lot in Colwood a few weeks back and took a couple of pictures.

$500/year for maintenance ? WOW!

Good luck with the convertible. Should be alot of fun from November to February.
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redcanoe wrote:
Speedy .......

you sold what was one of the nicest looking vans in Victoria! Saw you parked in a lot in Colwood a few weeks back and took a couple of pictures.

$500/year for maintenance ? WOW!

Good luck with the convertible. Should be alot of fun from November to February.

Randy right? Thanks for the compliment, I should point out that the $500 figure takes into a account using the van as tax deduction (it's complicated), the actual before tax cost was around $1,000. I thought the whole point of living in Victoria was being able to drive with the top down when it's snowing in the rest of the country Very Happy
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:
I thought the whole point of living in Victoria was being able to drive with the top down when it's snowing in the rest of the country Very Happy

Lucky.

As for me, I did an AC Westy Bus for a decade as a daily driver. Kinda outgrew it and then the economy crashed. Sold it. Now two years later, last November, I picked up the Weekender. Only this time it's more of a hobby car. No need to beat it up or reinvent anything about it. I'm happy for what it is. Gave it some neglected maintenance love and it's loving me right back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: