Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

side tents
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagesinthewind wrote:
The FedEx man brought me mine today, beige, and we'll be setting it up tomorrow at home and then using it this weekend camping.

I'll get photos also. We got the EZ Awning Plus with front and two sides and the jack mounts. Yours looks awesome, like a great party could be had in there.

Ginny in Denver

Thanks. On this trip there was non-stop misty rain. Even though I was only here for two days, it was well worth spending the short time to set up as it allowed me to set up a small table with a BBQ, a lounge camp chair to relax, etc. in a dry environment outside the van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I which to buy a side tent, good product and easy to leave on the campground by itself.

SPORTZ tent by Napier OR the new add-a-room side tent by Bus Depot... this is where i am hesitate.

Honestly, i like those two tents, i just which to make the best choice about :

- easy to set up
- weight and storage
- well done product

Many thanks for comments and advice! ... (or others options?)

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old version of the Bus Depot add-a-room. Have used it all summer. I do like it. It's been used for storage, bike shed, clothing storage and change room, port-a-potty spot and dining tent (the wasps were getting us). I have links earlier in this thread.

It's fine to set up. I can set the poles up by myself, but can't get them apart. I can pull the cover off by myself, but it's too much work and takes too long to put it on alone. If I had to I could put it back in the bag alone, but it wouldn't impress me. I am small, so factor that in to my opinion, but in general I consider it big, bulky and a lot of work to set up. We only bring it for trips longer than 3 days.

It's heavy, big and bulky. I put it in the back and it takes up the length of the space. I put the poles in first and tent fabric on top. It leaves space for 2-3 Rubermaid buckets in front of it back there. But, you have to juggle them to get the tent part to stay on top of the poles. Back to more work. I thought someone said earlier it's 40-50# per bag, heavy for me. LOL My dh has no problem lifting or moving it, but isn't impressed when jamming it in the back w/ the buckets as it all has to line up and time properly.

Mine is the German made on. Very well made. Very well done. Nice product. Very useful.

For short trips I bring my Kelty tent. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Trail-Ridge-Basecamp-P...kelty+tent It's a back packing one. I can lift, set up and take it down on my own, with two hands and no struggling.

I'd compare the set up and storage of my Kelty tent to the Sears Sports Napier, though I like my Kelty polls better b/c they clip on the Sears Sports tent I saw had polls that push through slots, which makes it more work to put together. And, takes longer. And, is easier to do w/ two people b/c the push/pull technique works better for that kind of tent.

I also like that my add-a-room has no floor (we put bikes and the port-a-potty in it), so don't forget to factor that in your decision depending on what you put in it. We hang the clothes in bags off the polls that make the tent up vs Kelty tent that we put them on the floor. For free I love it, if I were paying money for it, I'd probably go w/ something else.

tam
http://www.sears.ca/product/sportz-by-napier-dome-to-go-86000-tent/606-000853515-86000

maco70 wrote:
Hi to all,

I which to buy a side tent, good product and easy to leave on the campground by itself.

SPORTZ tent by Napier OR the new add-a-room side tent by Bus Depot... this is where i am hesitate.

Honestly, i like those two tents, i just which to make the best choice about :

- easy to set up
- weight and storage
- well done product

Many thanks for comments and advice! ... (or others options?)

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Mick Ord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out;

https://www.vango.co.uk/vango-airbeam/airaway-kela-standard.html
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: side tent Reply with quote

The Vango link led me to Outwell. The reviews for the air beam system were very mixed. The reviews for the Outwell were very high.

http://www.outwell.com/en/Products/Tents/Touring/CountryRoad.aspx

Check out the tents on that site as well...some pretty amazing set ups!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Brian, the Outwell tents seems to be a real nice product !

Thanks for this info.

one thing, it seems that they don't have any distributor in Noth America.
If it was my choice, i would have to make business with somebody in France, per example.

My first idea was to try to find a vintage style, but with modern spec about lightness and fastness to set-up, and then the Bus Depot one seems to be a good one. I just don't know how far the new one is much easier to set-up and much lighter than the previous that many have complained about?

But, for sure, the Outwell model is really really an option.
Let see the price and the shipping cost from Europ...
Thanks!

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: tents Reply with quote

Hey Martin,

Let me know what shipping costs. I will be curious to know. The online UK camping sites have a lot of sales on those tents right now.

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=465

For now we are going to stick with our dining shelter and I am investing in an awning...most likely an ARB.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Vango Air Beam Free-Standing Driveaway Awning Reply with quote

This last summer I purchased the Vango Air Away Kela Std (http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/motorhome-campervan/289-air-away-kela-std.html) using a company out of Alberta that is a Vango distributor. Total shipping cost from Scotland to Portland was around $35 American! Took 2-3 weeks to work out details, pay, and get it delivered but it's been worth it.

Here are some pic's from a friends back yard & a recent camping trip at Nehalem State Park.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyindutchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We met at the Wet-Westie/PDX un-superbowl weekend. That is the best side tent I ever seen, awesome quality and design. It's on my list, it's just not at the top yet. It was great meeting you and hopefully I'll see you at MogFest this year?
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B & K right? Enjoyed meeting & discussions as well. Hard to say if I'll make it to MogFest or not.
luckystu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Oztrail Reply with quote

Here is an Oztrail 'Awning tent'.

Plus 1: Once the awing is pulled out - clips to the poles - quick to set up.
Plus 2: it was cheap
Plus 3: it gives the kids another room to hang out in
Plus 4: it was cheap

Minus: It lacks headroom.

Furthest from van my 9yo can just stand straight up. It can actually extend another couple of inches higher then this but we didn't bother unzip the seam - just pushed the kids out the door.

Kombi Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an OzTent RV3. To date it has been at the rear as per below.

Since the pic was taken the Syncro has changed to white and a sail track added to the side. I haven't been out since then to see how the tent works on the side. It was great with the tail gate opening in to the annex on the tent. Note, the trailer also has had a colour change to blue.
Madeouttaglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a factory tent from a Baywindow Westy? I still have one but never gave it much thought.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: