Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

afraid to fill up gas tank
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubble88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: afraid to fill up gas tank Reply with quote

After my first niagra falls gas spill from overfilling the tank, I had the tank resealed with the GW kit. now its seems so tight that the gas pump handle just clicks off unless im very strategic with its placement. This makes it very difficult to determine when the tank is full. Is this normal? Should I still be afraid of overfilling my tank and causing another gas spill?
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gas tank starts leaking from an undetermined spot if I 'top it off'.
The Bentley lists the tank capacity as ~13 gallons but if one continues to fill you can pump near 14 gallons.
So when I am near empty and am filling up I stop once I have put in 13 gallons to prevent overflow.
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, never use the auto-thingie on the gas pump handle.

ALWAYS fill manually, at half speed, so you don't blow out any gaskets or spill out the fill tube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really what you ask, but you might find useful info in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396064
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyomingresident wrote:

ALWAYS fill manually, at half speed, so you don't blow out any gaskets or spill out the fill tube.

As long as you have air available to the tank through the filler you cannot blow out anything. As for spilling out the fill tube it definitely happens on models without the 'ping pong ball' valve in the base of the tube which was on later models. This filler tube can be retrofitted to earlier models with the larger grommet to the tank.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California pumps are a royal PITA to use on older vehicles. Pulling the boot on the nozzle back so it does not seal at all seems to work. Some people carry a screwdriver and remove the boot entirely while they are filling. Maybe making yourself something like an oversized wooden clothes pin that would fit around the nozzle and keep the boot from being able to seal would be the way to go.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOooooppssss!!! I'd know if I blew out my gaskets right? Wink

I did it the *first* time I ever filled it, and gas went EVERYWHERE. Ticked me off! LOL
wyomingresident wrote:

Now, I just fill it by *amount*. So, if the tank is half full I put in 6 gallons/24L and it seems to fill it up enough and not spill anything anywhere.

My dh is way more sophisticated, he *listens* to it as it fills. No idea what he's listening for, but he gets it fuller than me.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
OOOooooppssss!!! I'd know if I blew out my gaskets right? Wink

I did it the *first* time I ever filled it, and gas went EVERYWHERE. Ticked me off! LOL
wyomingresident wrote:

Now, I just fill it by *amount*. So, if the tank is half full I put in 6 gallons/24L and it seems to fill it up enough and not spill anything anywhere.

My dh is way more sophisticated, he *listens* to it as it fills. No idea what he's listening for, but he gets it fuller than me.

tam

It didn't leak because you overfilled it, it leaked because there was something already wrong with it that probably still needs fixing. Living in Oregon where we don't have self serve, dozens of different people have filled my tanks over the last 20+ years, no gaskets blown by any of them in a combined 600,000 miles for three different Vanagons from a 1983 1/2 model to a 1991 model.
stubble88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings,
you have over 21k posts. Shocked
just saying
greenbrier62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: hearing Reply with quote

Tam,
He's listening to the gurgling sound. As it fills up, the sound becomes "higher pitched" like (or at least different sounding) and you can tell when it's about get to the top and overfill. I do the same thing Smile

Try filling up a water bottle. As it gets full listen to the tone change...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzanto wrote:
My gas tank starts leaking from an undetermined spot if I 'top it off'.
The Bentley lists the tank capacity as ~13 gallons but if one continues to fill you can pump near 14 gallons.
So when I am near empty and am filling up I stop once I have put in 13 gallons to prevent overflow.

My owners manual for a 1986 USA Vanagon lists 16 gallon capacity. I frequenlty fill more than 13 gallons in my Vanagon.

Some pumps do splash back, it could be a fault in the gas pump shut off setting My local Chevron pumps dont splash back, but the the local ARCO pump is very bad, it tends to over flow both my Vanagon and my Triumph.

If a pump is causing a spill, contact the gasoline regulation agency, so that it can be addressed. Pumps near me have a toll free number to report filling problems
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I checked my Haynes and it says the capacity is 60 liters and then states that is roughly 13 gallons.
But then I converted the numbers and it comes out to 15.85 gallons (good job haynes).

Even funnier this must mean my leak is worse than I thought it was/is because I have never been able to put more than 13.5 gallons in the tank without a leak, maybe my overflow tanks are not filling to capacity.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key on my 84 is to be done when the pump clicks. If I try to squeeze more in it will smell of gas in the van and likely overflow. When in OR or MX I make sure to communicate this. Bad is filling up on the way to the campground and having it smell of gas all night.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '86 and '90/'91 manuals say 2wd capacity is 16 gallons.
My '90 and the old '91 2wd vanagons have never had issue filling to full capacity without splash back all over CA.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where it is leaking. On top where the smaller gaskets are or at the fill tube as it goes into the tank. If it just splashes back that is because of the design of the filler. As someone said, you can buy a new filler neck with the ball valve at the bottom that stops it from splashing back at you. Check GoWesty. I did that with a used one from a later model van and it worked perfectly. I used the pump on automatic like you are supposed to be able to do. Another van I needed to replace the grommets on top of the tank. Before I did that, it would spill like a half gallon of gas on the ground at the pump after filling it up. It was coming out on top of the tank and spilling out the back of the tank. Kind of embarrassing, I only did it a few times before I replaced the seals. It isn't that hard to replace all the seals. Even if you had that done that already if it is leaking it is the seals or the old style filler neck.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Depends where it is leaking. On top where the smaller gaskets are or at the fill tube as it goes into the tank. If it just splashes back that is because of the design of the filler. As someone said, you can buy a new filler neck with the ball valve at the bottom that stops it from splashing back at you. Check GoWesty. I did that with a used one from a later model van and it worked perfectly. I used the pump on automatic like you are supposed to be able to do. Another van I needed to replace the grommets on top of the tank. Before I did that, it would spill like a half gallon of gas on the ground at the pump after filling it up. It was coming out on top of the tank and spilling out the back of the tank. Kind of embarrassing, I only did it a few times before I replaced the seals. It isn't that hard to replace all the seals. Even if you had that done that already if it is leaking it is the seals or the old style filler neck.

I have a 91 that splashes back. Would it have this ball valve?

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was 50L or 13gallons, good to know, will add more at once. Always seems to go near to top when I add 6L at once.

Vinzanto wrote:
Funny I checked my Haynes and it says the capacity is 60 liters and then states that is roughly 13 gallons.
But then I converted the numbers and it comes out to 15.85 gallons (good job haynes).

Even funnier this must mean my leak is worse than I thought it was/is because I have never been able to put more than 13.5 gallons in the tank without a leak, maybe my overflow tanks are not filling to capacity.

Will try w/ water bottle, thanks. I don't like gas on my shoes. Mostly, I'm smart enough to get gas when he's with me. Wink

I didn't know you could/should report it when it goes on the ground. I've added gas before and got that burble, but this was a BIG mess. Mine is not leaking, doesn't do it if you don't fill it too full.

Cheers!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tank isn't venting properly it will be harder to fill. Might want to check the all of the hoses are good.
wecm31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzanto wrote:

An Imperial gallon (UK, Canada, etc) is 4.54 litres, hence 60 litres is 13 Imp gallons.

An Amurrican gallon is 3.78 litres, hence 60 litres is 16 US gallons.

Just know the how, no idea on the why Question

Gone are the days we stopped to decide
Where we should go, we just ride:)
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wecm31 wrote:
Vinzanto wrote:

An Imperial gallon (UK, Canada, etc) is 4.54 litres, hence 60 litres is 13 Imp gallons.

An Amurrican gallon is 3.78 litres, hence 60 litres is 16 US gallons.

Just know the how, no idea on the why Question

Imperial gallon is originally based on the volume of 10 pounds of water. Was officially adopted in early 1800's due to the Kilogram - liter relationship

The wine or liquid gallon has been the standard US gallon since it had been redefined during the reign of Queen Anne, in 1706, as 231 cubic inches exactly.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: