Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Might need to sell my '69 autostick
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyBugJenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Might need to sell my '69 autostick Reply with quote

I have been working on my '69 autostick beetle for about 3 years now, and being a highschool student, I do not have the money to put into her. She runs good, new carburetor, and tires and more, needs wiring harness, and permanent fuel line. 90% original german parts. I don't know how much she is worth, but I need to sell her, and get a more reliable car for college, and would love another VW bug, please help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and Large...... The cheapest car to own is the one you are driving right now.

Certainly a wiring harness and a length of fuel line is going to be way cheaper than a fairly late model ricer.

Stay focused, fix your ride and be unique at college.
Or...... Sell it, purchase a ho hum Toyota or Honda and join the masses!

About the VW..........You are NOT sitting on an untapped gold mine....... Just saying.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2, fixing it will probably be much cheaper than buying something newer. I'd bet you don't need to buy a complete new wiring harness, just a multi-meter, a good wiring diagram, and a couple of clear weekends and I bet you could have everything straightened out. you've owned this car for three years, you have spent many hours learning the ins and outs, buying another used car will just be opening up a lot of unknowns to you.

If you really want to sell it, the picture isn't very flattering so I'd guess you could might be able to get a grand for it. Not knocking autosticks, they can be great cars, but most folks are not beating down doors to buy one.

-jeffrey
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, taking another look at your car, for probably a grand you can doll up that car a bit and it would make a respectable collage car. If it runs well as you say, you just need to spruce it up a bit to fall in love with it again. After fixing the wiring and fuel line issues [cheap], I'd probably start by pulling the front wheel off and popping those dents out with a rubber mallet. I'd repaint the wheels silver and add a new set of hubcaps, put a new set of running boards, new bumpers and some new trim would do wonders for that little beetles self esteem. If the interior is rough, new seat covers and door panels aren't very expensive. After that [which really isn't much], you'd have a great little car to drive for the next four years.

Don't give up so easily, dig in yer heels, and treat thet bug right.

-jeffrey
Thinking of a Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong to need a newer reliable car for college and if you work PT? Its a 43 year old car and until you get all the bugs worked out of it it may never be totally reliable. A few years when you finish school you can buy another bug. Many bug owners have these cars as a second car. Not telling you to just throw in the towel and give up but you are using common sense the bug will fit you your life down the road but just not right now. I understand
olmer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, keep the heap! As already stated, you know this car already.
Wiring is easy to do when you have us around! A fuel line is short work too. I bet if you offer pizza or burgers you could get a couple of people here to meet up and give you a hand. Heck, I'm sure they would help even if you didn't offer food, wrenching on these cars is fun. I'm sick over two cars I had in my life and let go of in high school because I was going to college. One was a '66 Galaxy convertible and the other was a '71 Challenger. I'd hate for you to look back and have the same feeling... But if it's time to sell it, it's time to sell it. Nobody could have stopped me from letting mine go..
74 bug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547777
MyBugJenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing that I just found out about, she might have a cracked compression head, no sure yet, are they easy to fix?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: