Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why isn't one enough?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Why isn't one enough? Reply with quote

I’m curious about opinions –

Why do you think so many t3 owners buy more than one t3?

What other vehicle inspires owner’s to lust after, what is basically, another variety of essentially the same car?

I have two and search constantly for a third version. So maybe I am just looking for a diagnosis for my illness.... either way, what is your $0.02?
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? I think there are several factors

1- is a very versatile vehicle, and very easy to customize, almost like a blank canvas (which I love, I haven't seen two Vanagons alike never, they're all unique and different)
2- once you have customized one of them in the manners that suite your tastes/needs, you realize that, even though it's exactly how you wanted it to be, you could have taken another approach and reach a different outcome.
3- However, you spent all that time and effort in making it perfect, and you don't want to lose it, so you get a second one to "try that crazy idea". Usually, a different variation is needed, since you don't want the second to be to close to the first one (and besides, a variation solves a different problem from the go, right?)
4- repeat....

In my case, I have a Syncro Westy with lots of customizations that is getting very close to my ideal.
However, I'm lately lusting for a Carat, Wolfsburg, Bluestar (because I can use an automatic to take five/six kids to soccer games, tailgate, etc).
After that, I'm sure a Doka will be in my future.
Although with a high-top I can stay during a weekend camping at a ski resort regardless of the weather...

Just need to convince my CFO, she is almost ready to give up and approve the Carat purchase Smile

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you're into. Over the years I've collected MGs, RX7s, IH Scouts, Toyota 4x4s, and now a Vanagon (just one for now). I've also owned various other brands as daily drivers. Furthermore I've found I'm fascinated with all sorts of machines... tractors, stationary engines, steam powered equipment, etc.

When I was a kid and found out what a screwdriver and wrench did I took apart everything in my house. Drove my parents bonkers. I can also remember taking my bike completely apart and putting it back together. I doubt my story is unique, at least on this forum.

In short, either you're a car guy, or not. It's not an illness, it's a lifestyle.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In years past, I always had two vans (or sometimes a bus and a van) in order to ensure that one was completely road worthy in the event that there was a delay while waiting for parts or troubleshooting repairs on the other one.

Converting to a modern engine finally cured me from feeling like I needed two vans, since necessary repairs have decreased drastically since the conversion, aside from routine maintenance like brake pads and the occasional worn out bits and pieces that I can usually plan well ahead for.

I also have the luxury of a '98 Forester to use as a winter car when my '85 Westy takes her winter nap from the end of November to the beginning of March each year in order to avoid the salty roads in NH. This leaves me with no real excuse for owning multiple vans, outside of the obvious fact that I am a weirdo who likes old VW's.

Of course if a halfway decent Doka should happen to wander into my life, there would be very little delay before I would become a "two van guy" once again. Something tells me that the 2.5L engine in the Subaru might come up missing at approximately the same time as the Doka enters the picture too. Purely by coincidence of course...

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning multiple vans is cool Wink
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they're like Pokemon right..... "you've got to catch them all!"

I've only got 4.
Technically 5.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife would love to know the answer to this question. Personally I don't think there is a rational explanation, any more than there is a rational explanation as to why someone has a roomful of sporting team memorabilia or comic books. For me is it a hobby/sickness (only half joking). I have 5 T3's and 4 T4's. Only one of them is currently working, and that seems to be enough to satisfy my current needs. Why the rest? It would likely take psychoanalysis to figure that out. Recently I was moving a disabled T4 and it got away from me and went over a steep bank (me in it). It fetched up on a big boulder and tree, about 15 feet down. I was pulling it back up with a backhoe and the tow hook parted from the frame (rust). This time it went all the way down (about 30 feet) and crashed at the bottom. My wife heard the commotion and came out to survey the scene. Her one question?

"Can you put the rest of them down there?"

RonC
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one is plenty for me!

...although i keep browsing the classified ads for some strange reason. Hehe.
mr. c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versatility. There aren't too many vehicles with one version that a family of 4 can camp in, and another version that you can load up with 4x8 sheets.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a matter of finances and space. MG guys often have more than one, same with Porsche. Ask Jay Leno Smile

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long live the Vanagon Exclamation
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two so when one breaks down you have a backup. Many people even find they need a backup for the backup. Triple redundant.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
It would likely take psychoanalysis to figure that out.

Even the "experts" can't explain this phenomenon.

Beyond the obvious, Vanagons have certain qualities that are hard to put into words. They also all have their own personalities. So I think the question runs along the same lines as why have more than one dog? (unless you are a musher)

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy something, it's natural to assume that more is better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two. Plus financial interest in more.

My one I don"t drive, I don.t like because it is automatic, and have not bothered to deal with it. Out of sight is out of mind.

I also own classic Mercedes.

I know in my heart of hearts I can only be a good steward to 1 or 2 old cars.

I and my buddies know we must thin our herds and I have been doing that very slowly.

It is liberating!

For me, it is hard to devote so much time to these "things."

I know I wasted time on old cars in decades past and do lament that but now I live a more balanced life.

Some people must hord, which may be a sickness.

Others may not have their ultimate version.

There is more to life than constantly tinkering with old cars.

I am a heritic......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)

Last edited by r39o on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Two vans Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I have two vans and lots of cars. But 95% of the time I drive my vans. For me two is great, one to camp and 4x4 thats worth to much $ and one 2 WD to run around the city. Worth much less with a 2.0 Jetta good on gas and fast . Something about having your cake and eating it to. Very Happy

1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one set up for work, one that will be restored as the family camping van and then a couple parts vans to keep them on the road. I have the space and my used parts are free after I sold a few to cover the cost of purchasing the parts vans.

Hans
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes stuff just happens. Take last night, for example. I knew she was going to be selling it but figured I could not afford a decent '91. Then I heard her price.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:

It's not an illness, it's a lifestyle.

"Can you put the rest of them down there?"

Perfect, guys, just perfect. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
It's just a matter of finances and space. MG guys often have more than one, same with Porsche. Ask Jay Leno Smile

Uh...... Wink I've only got one van but those damn Porsches are like potato chips....hard to have just one! Wink Then......there are the motorcycles!! Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: