Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Tank Access--Help!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank Access--Help! Reply with quote

My '77 bus has a chronic gas smell, and I tracked it down to cracks in the the rubber tank filler tube that attaches to the gas tank itself. I can see the cracks with a mirror and a flashlight through the round hole behind the air filter, and I can see that I'll need to get the firewall removed to unscrew the hose clamps, but I CAN'T GET THE FIREWALL OFF. The screws are off, and everything is out of the way, but I'll be damned if I can get the firewall off or out of the way. It's loose, and seems like it should come off, but it won't. What's the trick? I'm reluctant to use brute force on it. Help!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank Access--Help! Reply with quote

If I remember right there is a sealant behind the panel and a pry bar is needed to pull it off. I also thought the motor had to come out to bring it out.While you are in that deep you might as well either replace the sending unit or at least put a new seal on it. That seal is usually another thing that causes a gas smell. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank Access--Help! Reply with quote

ALL the screws??
Did you remove the 2 that go up from the bottom? They are near the ends and are tough to find.
Then you pull the bottom to the rear and then down. The top edge hooks in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: