Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Leak from Filler Tube - 1982 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBibeau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak from Filler Tube - 1982 Vanagon Reply with quote

After re-sealing the gas tank as much as I could reach without being able to remove the rusted on filler tube, I finally identified that my fuel leak is actually coming from the soft line on the old metal filler tube. I'm in California and the pumps don't go into the filler tube far enough to get past that line (didn't have the problem in Nevada!) so I'm constantly leaking a little fuel when I gas up Confused

I have several options for repair, and would love some opinions on what is easy and good enough, or worth putting a little more work into for reasons I may not be aware of.

1. Anyone know what size that soft fuel line is on the filler tube? Seems like the easiest thing is to just replace that length of line and should solve my problem - it's original and likely cracked. It's larger in diameter than the regular fuel lines on the van...

2. I have a fuel tank and filler tube from a 1987 Vanagon parts car that I was planning on selling but could also just put on my van - is it an easy swap? Any upgrade benefits? (downside of course would be that I just re-sealed the other tank and I'm not sure how the seals are on this one)

3. Should I take the filler tube from the 1987 Vanagon, buy this grommet from Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com/251201139b and marry the 1982 tank with a 1987 plastic filler tube? Is it that easy?

Has anyone done any of these things and have some suggestions on whether or not it was worth it, or tricks for making my life easier on this one?? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: