Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Kombi Walk Thru Bus Restore Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I put a rag top on my 1966 13 Window Walk Thru Bus?
Yes, that would look great!
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
No, youll ruin the original look.
85%
 85%  [ 18 ]
Maybe, I dont know if they ever came like that?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: 1966 Kombi Walk Thru Bus Restore Questions Reply with quote

Im a new owner of a 1966 13 window Kombi Bus, I have a few questions for all of you VW experts.
1. Where is the best place to find parts (vw hub caps, radio, lights, window bars, etc)
2. I was thinking of putting a rag top sunroof on it, would you recommend that or is that frowned upon?
3. Ive seen seats with bars on the top, is that something that you would put on this buses seats?
4. Flooring. I like the checker floors (mine would be light green and off white) or would you go with a light wood flooring?
5. How much do you think a decent restore should cost? (remove minimal rust, paint, interior work, redoing fueling and electrical, redoing seats and panels, windows, adding rag top roof, small rack)
6. Im also looking for a DUB-BOX event/food trailer, preferably a used one. I haven't been able to find used ones. Any thoughts on these?

Id love to hear any opinions that you have on this model and if you were restoring it what YOU would do to it. Thanks for all your help, opinions and advice!
AJack500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from the sunroof on a 13 window... It would look a little odd to me and it would leak. I would never think about cutting the roof on my 15 window... Hardtops are better anyways lol
And are you referring to the grab handles that are on pre '67 seats? Bay window rear seats don't have the handles on the top, they are on the back of the seat. It's a dead giveaway between the two.
Parts...Wolfsburg West, Bustoration.com, etc...
Restoration cost. For complete body, paint, and interior...you looking at 15,000+
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1&3- almost all your other questions are answer in the links provided in the sticky's on the top of the page

2- off a 13 window is not a kombl it is a non sunroof deluxe and if it did come with a sunroof it would also have 8 skylight windows on the roof

4- it's your bus do what you want but most would probably like the original style or light wood floor

5-$5k-$100k depending on what shape your bus is in, who is doing to work, what level of restored you want it, etc...

6- have you use the search function yet? I know there is a shop in the Portland Oregon area that sells them

pics would help us answer your questions better to see if it's a good patina bus, done up custom or one that should be striped and restore orignal

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that if you cut open the roof of your bus to install a ragtop there is a reason that VW also installed belly pans.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJack500 wrote:
I would stay away from the sunroof on a 13 window... It would look a little odd to me and it would leak. I would never think about cutting the roof on my 15 window... Hardtops are better anyways lol
And are you referring to the grab handles that are on pre '67 seats? Bay window rear seats don't have the handles on the top, they are on the back of the seat. It's a dead giveaway between the two.
Parts...Wolfsburg West, Bustoration.com, etc...
Restoration cost. For complete body, paint, and interior...you looking at 15,000+

Ive decided to keep it as a hardtop. Also as another person said, theres a reason they installed belly pans. Im pretty sure mine doesnt have one. I dont want to end up with more problems than I have. Not trying to create more! Simple is better right?
As for the handles I meant the handles that you see on top of the seats, kinda like the school bus look. Not sure what models that is typically on. I have a split window. (Posting photos soon)
Thanks for the reply!
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
1&3- almost all your other questions are answer in the links provided in the sticky's on the top of the page

2- off a 13 window is not a kombl it is a non sunroof deluxe and if it did come with a sunroof it would also have 8 skylight windows on the roof

4- it's your bus do what you want but most would probably like the original style or light wood floor

5-$5k-$100k depending on what shape your bus is in, who is doing to work, what level of restored you want it, etc...

6- have you use the search function yet? I know there is a shop in the Portland Oregon area that sells them

pics would help us answer your questions better to see if it's a good patina bus, done up custom or one that should be striped and restore orignal

Thanks for the info!
Yes I know of the shop in Oregon, just a little pricey for me right now to buy new. I wanted to talk to someone that may have already purchased from them and ask what they thought of it. Looking for a used one right now if possible.
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Don't forget that if you cut open the roof of your bus to install a ragtop there is a reason that VW also installed belly pans.

You are right! Sticking with the hardtop Smile
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

**Id love any input on what you see, what you think, opinions, and any help you may have to offer. Im no expert at this. Just love the buses and interested in getting this beauty restored to its original self the right way!

**I was told the rear looks like it may have rear reduction boxes or straight axles (not sure what that means) or a weird chamber angle. If the axles are short theres no adjusters or maybe the shocks are blown. Any ideas?

**How would you rate this bus?
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the height of the bus and the camber the rear has it most likely has been lowered with the original rgb still there

what do you want out of the bus? nice original resto? daily driver cruiser? camper? lowered or stock height?

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Kombi's only had 11 windows and were very basic. Yours is a 13 window which makes it a Deluxe (that's a good thing!). Judging by the panels on the back of the rear seats it originally looked like one of these (notice the chrome trim), and it would have had the jail bars around the rear windows and above the rear seat. And yes, your bus would have had grab bars on the middle seat.

Behind the passenger seat backrest there should be a ID plate with a wealth of information on it. Post a picture of that.
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
by the height of the bus and the camber the rear has it most likely has been lowered with the original rgb still there

what do you want out of the bus? nice original resto? daily driver cruiser? camper? lowered or stock height?

So I found out the rear wheels were just "turned inward" (cheap way of lowering). I just have to raise them back up to stock. The front was lowered to match. My plan I guess will be to get a lowering kit on it and do it the right way!
Im going to need a motor that can tow 750kg. Someone recommended I 1776 motor with dual carbs with 80hp, stock tranny can handle it. Possible clutch upgrade too and have an external oil cooler as an alternative.

*What exactly are gear reduction boxes and what do they do?
*What do you recommend I do with the motor for that kind of towing?
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Just so you know, Kombi's only had 11 windows and were very basic. Yours is a 13 window which makes it a Deluxe (that's a good thing!). Judging by the panels on the back of the rear seats it originally looked like one of these (notice the chrome trim), and it would have had the jail bars around the rear windows and above the rear seat. And yes, your bus would have had grab bars on the middle seat.

Behind the passenger seat backrest there should be a ID plate with a wealth of information on it. Post a picture of that.

Looks like I need to change my Samba Screen Name now... for the better! Smile
Do you have a photo of what the inside should look like with the bars on the seats you were referring to? I want to show my custom work guys. Thanks
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombigirl66 wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

So I found out the rear wheels were just "turned inward" (cheap way of lowering). I just have to raise them back up to stock. The front was lowered to match. My plan I guess will be to get a lowering kit on it and do it the right way!
Im going to need a motor that can tow 750kg. Someone recommended I 1776 motor with dual carbs with 80hp, stock tranny can handle it. Possible clutch upgrade too and have an external oil cooler as an alternative.

*What exactly are gear reduction boxes and what do they do?
*What do you recommend I do with the motor for that kind of towing?

my guess from your posts are you are not in the US huh? Smile

there are several "right ways" to lower a bus depending on who you talk to
to me lowering a bus the "right way" is to lower it safely to fit your needs

a 1 ton rear end with rgb would be good for towing plus be fine mated to a mild 1776
and you can also safely lower a bus with a stock tranny with rgb's

here is a thread on rgb
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263188

lowering thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66927

I found all these links in the FAQ thread there is a lot of good info in there
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a bay front beam? looks like the front was "upgraded"?

find a motor that makes you bus go as fast as you are allowed to tow, then just tow.

in europe for example, trailoring is limited to 50 miles or 80km/h usually. Stock 1600 with RGBs will do that all day long.

In the US trailering is not limited like that, find a motor that will go 70mph, and tow with that.

freeway flier most likely with a 1776 sounds like good start.

as i said, a 750kg trailer is not a problem, unless you cross the alps on a regular basis Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
is that a bay front beam? looks like the front was "upgraded"?
---- What photo are you looking at that makes you think that? (Im a newbie remember so Im not too sure what you mean) I sure hope its original.

find a motor that makes you bus go as fast as you are allowed to tow, then just tow.
---- Im thinking the 1914 if I am to get a new/used engine. Or just tweak my 1600 (somehow? - opinions needed) to drive top speed 70lbs and still be able to tow 1000 lbs around 50lbs.

in europe for example, trailoring is limited to 50 miles or 80km/h usually. Stock 1600 with RGBs will do that all day long.

In the US trailering is not limited like that, find a motor that will go 70mph, and tow with that.

freeway flier most likely with a 1776 sounds like good start.
---- From what I read 1776 is good, 1835 you might as well go 1914. The 1835s have cracking issues? Anyway leaning toward 1914 as long as price isnt too much diff from a 1776.

as i said, a 750kg trailer is not a problem, unless you cross the alps on a regular basis Smile

---- Lol ya, no plans of that in the future. Living in Florida with it, just cruising the beaches.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Floriduh? The VW scene there has been growing tremendously in the last few years! Lost of great folks and clubs to be part of. Razz

Your front beam is definitely of late phatchick vintage. I'd go with IRS for the back too! (As I did already!) Anxious

Get it running safely and just enjoy it for a while before going crazy with mods like the sun roof and such. Good luck! Cool
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Where in Floriduh? The VW scene there has been growing tremendously in the last few years! Lost of great folks and clubs to be part of. Razz
---- East Coast of Florida, West Palm Beach. Thats great to hear! Id love to continue building the bus gradually and enjoy it. Ill def look into some clubs and Im sure Ill meet a lot of VW lovers just having the bus!

Your front beam is definitely of late phatchick vintage. I'd go with IRS for the back too! (As I did already!) Anxious
----- Remember you are talking to newbie. What is a phatchick vintage beam? I couldnt find anything relating to that in google lol. Also what is IRS? taxes?? lol

Get it running safely and just enjoy it for a while before going crazy with mods like the sun roof and such. Good luck! Cool

---- I think you are right here. I am going to take it slow and enjoy it!
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: WANTED: 1966 VW Bus Deluxe Parts Reply with quote

Ive used the SEARCH in Classifieds on TheSamba for SALE items and havent found much. I am still new to the site so really its not that easy for me. I come up with a lot of things I dont need more than the things I do need.
If you have any of these items (plz include price) or if you know of a place to get them please leave a comment and contact me about them. I need to buy in the next 2 weeks!

1966 VW Bus Deluxe Parts WANTED:
Front Chrome Emblem
1776 Engine -- (unless you can suggest how I can modify my 1600cc engine to be able two 1000lbs and also still reach 70mph when not in tow)
Radio
Seat Bars
Ivory Steering Wheel
Shifter Knob
Roof Rack (half version) - I want a quality rack not ones from Taiwan.

Any ideas or opinions on what you would get to keep this bus as original as possible - Im open to suggestions.
*** I would love air conditioning in the bus. Tell me, is this a good or bad idea and why?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like a bummer, but it doesn't really seem like a 40 year old car is the kind of vehicle you're looking for. Particularly the bus you have. By nature it's big, it's slow and there is no ac or sun roof.

That's all part of it.

Enjoy the slow lane and the windows down maybe?
kombigirl66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Not to sound like a bummer, but it doesn't really seem like a 40 year old car is the kind of vehicle you're looking for. Particularly the bus you have. By nature it's big, it's slow and there is no ac or sun roof.

That's all part of it.

Enjoy the slow lane and the windows down maybe?

----- I'm not opposed to no air conditioning and I do understand that it's an old car and its not going to have those luxuries. Only reason I considered it was I'm going to be running a business out of it. So a lot of time spent in it. Not just for cruising. If it were I'm totally down for just using the windows. Also mind you ill be in Florida where it's not only hot but humid!
Smile
Don't get me wrong though I love everything about these buses!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: