Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO gauge wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
DougD wrote:
Were would one find these diagnostic wires? I happen to have picked up a few gauges that need wired Smile

I'm curious too. What diagnostic wires run from the engine compartment up to the instrument panel?

There are no wires that go all the way from the diag. plug up to the dash from the factory. Many years ago when I was building my Thing I mentioned using some of the diag. wires to wire up my dash gauges and it has been repeated over the years, but most often incorrectly.

Here is what I did. There are 3 wires that run in the factory loom from the diag. plug up into the passenger compartment. They originally went to the battery as part of diagnostics. They are yellow/red, brown, & brown/white. Since I have 3 dash gauges and there are 3 wires I figured Voila!...3 sending unit wires. Now....how to extend them up to the dash. I went to a junkyard and scrounged up some long lengths of the same color wires from a Bug. I soldered the lengths I picked up to the terminus at the battery. Now I have 3 of the same colored wires from the engine compartment up to the dash. I only use these for the sending unit and tach signal. Power, ground, and light are all tapped in at the dash harness.

There are a few other wires in the factory loom that are part of the diag. system back in the engine compartment....they can be used for whatever you need to do if you remove the diag. plug but leave that harness intact. YMMV....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: VDO Instrument grounding Reply with quote

The statement above regarding "Daisy Chaining" the ground wires of several different gauges is per VDO is incorrect/ This method of grounding will cause gauge fluction and erratic readings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: