Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold start problem? or something else?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Cold start problem? or something else? Reply with quote

My daughter and her boyfriend are on an extended trip in our bus 'Big Emma'. Currently they are in way upstate New York - traveling across to Bar Harbour Maine today. They have had an issue starting the bus the last two mornings. It cranks over fine, but will not fire up. Each time it has started after the temperature (of the air - not the bus) has warmed up a bit. This may be just a coincidence? This has never happened to me - but I always keep the bus in the garage.

This morning I had them go thru the 'easy stuff' to see what the issue might be (coil, plugs, etc) and there were no obvious problems and it made no difference. But after things warmed up a bit it started and they are now on their way again.

Anyone have this sort of issue? I'm stumped.

thanks
Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you FI or carbed?

Does it crank over well or just won't start easily.

Condensation on the under side of the distributor cap?

There is a decent VW shop on the south side of Belfast, Maine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Are you FI or carbed?

Does it crank over well or just won't start easily.

Condensation on the under side of the distributor cap?

There is a decent VW shop on the south side of Belfast, Maine.

FI
It cranks over well.... just seems like it is either some electrical malfuction, or it is not getting fuel. I'm 1000 miles away from them - so I have a hard time with all the specific diognostics.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wire from the starter to the double relay comes off or breaks off you will have no cold start function. They should crawl underneath and see if this wire is connected still and making good contact. It is a red/white wire and should be connected to one of the male spades on the starter solenoid.

Bad contacts or a loose plug on the CSV and TTS will do the same.
canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the double relay issue. When the bus is warm, there is enough residual fuel pressure to get it started.

If you have a test light, you can unhook the ignition and check to see if you are getting current to the fuel pump when cranking. Eventually it will start, but it needs enough airflow from the AFM to kick the pump on. When I was having this issue, I found that a little bit of throttle until it fired helped get enough air through the meter to kick in the pump.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it does not fire at all when cold, it just cranks.

If so as suggested by others. One of 4 things IMHO

Vacuum leak diluting the mixture
CSV [cold start valve (5th injector)] or CSV circuit not functioning
Fuel pump not kicking in
Ignition circuit issue related to temp such as defective electronic ignition module if you have one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: