Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof rack legs?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Roof rack legs? Reply with quote

I need to build a custom roof rack for my syncro in order to mount my solar panels. I want to keep the rack as low profile as possible and was curious if anyone knows of anybody that sells just the legs that attach to the gutter rail of the roof on a tin top?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a google search for van racks. You will find a lot of sites to buy custom racks and parts. Ive looked before and found them. You'll just need to look around a bit. The legs that attach to rain gutters are universal.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me you could take some steel tube, about 3/4" and smash the end flat with a hammer. Then get some solid steel rod, cut into 2" sections, in maybe a 3/16" size and weld it to the smashed end in the shape of a "T". Then get some rubber hose that fits over the solid rod parts to keep from fucking up the paint....once that part is done, the clamping mechanism should be easy....An "L" bracket welded to 3/4" pipe and a "hook" to grab the gutter with a bolt and nut.......
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: racks Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus You can find them on Ebay all day. Thats where I found mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Then a piece of pipe and your done. Round or rectangular. And you can put all sorts of things on them. Just get 4 rack towers use your own pipe, the towers lock and mine were cheap. They come in different heights. Yakima or Thule. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to do something a little more custom looking, than just getting regular aftermarket racks. I also have 3x100 watt panels, so I can't lay them with the length of the van, unless I only use two of them.

I actually had someone point me to these, which I think will work, but I'll have to measure first.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_C...de=RCKMNTS
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check these out. Quick-n-easy racks I have them on my tintop and they work great. Mine are super old and my grandpa used them forever then handed them down to me, they last forever. I have the mounts that hold round crossbars the same diameter as the yakima stuff so I can use their accessories if I want. The basic towers just have a hole in the top of them that you can bolt a 2x4 or square tubing or whatever you want. On my tintop I have about 1.5"-2" of clearance between the bar ant the center of the roof, so you can't go to much lower than that.

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain.aspOption=Det...4+Brackets

I like the look of the mounts you posted above, but they may be too low and hit the center of the roof.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
Check these out. Quick-n-easy racks I have them on my tintop and they work great. Mine are super old and my grandpa used them forever then handed them down to me, they last forever. I have the mounts that hold round crossbars the same diameter as the yakima stuff so I can use their accessories if I want. The basic towers just have a hole in the top of them that you can bolt a 2x4 or square tubing or whatever you want. On my tintop I have about 1.5"-2" of clearance between the bar ant the center of the roof, so you can't go to much lower than that.

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain.aspOption=Det...4+Brackets

I like the look of the mounts you posted above, but they may be too low and hit the center of the roof.

The URL you posted is giving a error for me. As far as the height on te ones I posted, I'm a lil worried on that as well. When I get back to FL where my van is, I'll have to measure it.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of 2 gutter mounts for a vanagon, Thule I think. PM me if you are interested....cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: