Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do i lower the cc's?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
audidood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: how do i lower the cc's? Reply with quote

I'm currently running a 2332cc but my work is ~30 miles from home. Driving this down the freeway all the way to work and back is pretty killer on gas, even though i have a freeway flyer tranny and CB FI.

i'm thinking of going with a smaller engine just to increase the daily driveability of this car rather than just driving it on weekends. i'd love to drive this everyday if i could.

having a big motor is a lot of fun, but driving it daily would be even more fun. having the car sit in the garage most of the year is killing me and my bug.

would i need to change out the entire engine, including the block? if not, what exactly would i need to swap out to accomplish this?

Thanks!

a (not so) wise man once said, "chrome don't get you home."
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the rest of the car? If the car is the one you always dreamed of, buy a 1600 for it and cruise the hell out of it. IF it's not the one you always dreamed of, buy a 1600 and cruise the hell out of it, keep your big motor in the garage and start looking for that awesome one you've always wanted.

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
audidood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the car is pretty good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it just begs to be driven.

I had a 1600 motor in my previous '64 type 1, and i drove that thing EVERYWHERE! all it needed was oil and the occasional carb sync and valve adjustment.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
( . Y . )
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that is one clean looking ride. Would love to see the inside. You can buy an awful lot of gas for the price of a 1600...
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the posts and articles I've read the CB fuel injection is supposed to get pretty decent mileage. I can't imagine you'd get better mileage with carbs. My 2110 powered Ghia with dual 44mm HPMX carbs is getting right around 22mpg. What is your bug getting? Maybe something is amiss with it? Changing motors can be a real drag.

By the way - nice car. And the backdrop old gas station is very cool.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
audidood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

it's been a long time since i've tried figuring that out, since the car is usually sleeping in the garage. i feel like 2 round trips to and from work takes about 6-7 gal? so that comes out to what, ~18.5ish mpg?

here's an inside shot taken with a crappy iphone5 camera:

( . Y . )
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18.5 is not bad. That is about what I get in my new Jeep. Which by the way your Bug makes me want to sell the Jeep and buy your Bug! Love it.
audidood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( . Y . ) wrote:
18.5 is not bad. That is about what I get in my new Jeep. Which by the way your Bug makes me want to sell the Jeep and buy your Bug! Love it.

haha thanks!

Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mileage is probably pretty good for an engine that size and you are right the only way to get it down would be less displacement and a milder cam. Unfortunately you probably need a new case, but maybe 92 thick walls and a stock stroke would get what you need. The next bad news is you will need more appropriate heads and at least to change the venturis and jets to run with the new size.

I wouldn't want to leave that nice a car in the garage either.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaroboi13 wrote:
How is the rest of the car? If the car is the one you always dreamed of, buy a 1600 for it and cruise the hell out of it. IF it's not the one you always dreamed of, buy a 1600 and cruise the hell out of it, keep your big motor in the garage and start looking for that awesome one you've always wanted.

I'll side with the second engine... build a nice 1600 with broad torque, and keep the big engine for special ocassions. I get 36mpg highway with the quietpack muffler, 33 highway with a glasspack, and 28mpg highway pulling a 1,000 pound trailer.

Your Bug is way too beautiful to sit in the garage!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are not getting 30mpg you need to tune it, or release the emergency brake.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
audidood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
if you are not getting 30mpg you need to tune it, or release the emergency brake.

haha! is it possible to get 30mpg out of a 2332?

ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audidood wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

yes.
Wink

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway, yes. I was under the impression you were talking about commuting mileage.

Edit: I just went back and read your original post. What kind of driving is this 30 miles? What kind of a cam do you have? How big are your heads? Do you know your oil temps? (Sometimes a "freeway flier" can actually increase consumption.)

Last edited by Quokka42 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audidood wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Absolutely. High 20s hooning it is possible, 30 on the interstate (without a loss of driveablity).

Almost everybody sets these cars up pig-rich. Lean it out with a wideband and some head temperature gauges, and you'll be amazed.

Last edited by 58 Plastic Tub on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like john said.or fix the motor if some moron set the cr at 7.00 and or a .130 deck. my 2332 got about 34 on the road.with carbs.
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audidood wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Absolutely. You're running pig-rich. I guarantee it.
camaroboi13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audidood wrote:
The rest of the car is pretty good.

it just begs to be driven.

Wow...yes it does! I didn't imagine seeing that pop up and want to be driven for a daily! Very nice car man, I'd honestly figure out your fuel issues and rock it till the wheels fall off, gorgeous car!

FFL GUN DEALER! PM ME FOR SOCAL TRANSFERS!
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
Sometimes a "freeway flier" can actually increase consumption.

So true... a taller ratio does not automatically mean better MPG. My trans is from a 65 or 66 with a 4.375 final, and the revs are near 4k most of the time on the freeway. I'd prefer a taller gear, but that would be so I don't hit redline in top gear so soon. I will miss the shorter third gear though...

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: