Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kyle's 59 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone would like to buy this project pm me.. I must sell it to further other projects. Thanks, Steve
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have sold the ghia and its on its way to a new home in San Jose. Couldn't be going to better guys.. Its a father/son project they want to fix up over the next couple of years for when he turns sixteen. Pretty sweet first car right? Smile Anyway, I am passing on this thread to him which will hopefully become a build thread! Stay tuned to watch this car go all the way! Hope you make great memories with your boy on this project Jeff! Good luck.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the kid is only 6 years old because it's going to take about 10 years and a whole sack of money to make that beautiful car road worthy. Hope to be proven wrong on the ETA but deep pockets are a given.
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be a damn slow worker bro. The car is in great condition and they'll do a fine job. Don't ruin their thread just because you're jealous they got it before you did. Jealousy's an easy tell my man. Jeff already has a collection, he's no novice. I hate that some of my Samba brothers can be so quick to cut people down. That's not what this community is supposed to be about. Jeff, if I can help in any way let me know!
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply trying to state that this car is not the gem that is being portrayed in this thread. Someone's going to have to dig deep to get it road worthy. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't restored a car in this condition.

There's a reason why it was found in a junk yard. I have learned my own lessons to be interested in a car like this. I'd like to see the end product, especially when someone else's cash and time has been invested into it.
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it not about profit.. You do it cuz you love it. It is expensive though that's the truth. I think this car would be definitely worth it.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, it's a rare car for sure and I am glad that someone will be restoring it. Because of the junk yard history, does it have a salvage title?
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, we are back from a very successful road trip up to Oregon. The 59 Ghia is now in its new home in Morgan Hill CA.

First of all thank you to Bad Hippie and supersteven for finding and eventually passing the car onto us.

Steven, it was great to meet you and appreciate the ease of the transaction and your help loading the car. We made it back safely last night. Best wishes for you and your family.

Bad Hippie, would you mind changing the thread title to "Kyle's 59 Ghia". Thanks.

Pictures and more detail to follow.....
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got it in a mass purchase of classic cars from some old mans property.. the gut said he had titles on all of them but turns out he couldn't find them all.. I was given a bill of sale.. the car is probably just fallen out of the system. Title shouldn't be too hard.
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pictures to update......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gondiwindi wrote:
Simply trying to state that this car is not the gem that is being portrayed in this thread. Someone's going to have to dig deep to get it road worthy. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't restored a car in this condition.

There's a reason why it was found in a junk yard. I have learned my own lessons to be interested in a car like this. I'd like to see the end product, especially when someone else's cash and time has been invested into it.

Gondiwindi no reason to worry.... The Ghia is in good hands.....

Here is part of my resume.... My last project. You can go through my pictures if you would like to see more of the work we have done. We got this. Very Happy

Before...

After.....

Last edited by themacnut on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good project Jeff! Looks like you know what you're doing and what it will take. All the power and we'll be looking forward to the updates. Welcome to the world of Ghias.

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people have commented on the condition of the car, so let me share.

First, it can be very difficult to gauge the condition of a car from a few pictures. Even harder when you seriously considering buying a car out of state. Very Happy Whether you see a basket case, a diamond in the rough, or something in between, probably is more about perspective. So here is mine.

Steven did a great job taking pictures and sharing the good, and where the car needed work. No surprises.

Overall the condition of the car is very good. The body is solid with minimal areas that need work. Metal wise, pan halves, battery tray and a few other areas to tend to. Other then that, typical bumps and bruises.

Other plusses on this Ghia are the completeness of the dash and trunk area. Many hard to find parts are present, and all are restorable. Few things to chase down, but the list is already in the works. Will be looking for as many original and NOS parts as possible.
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2COOLED wrote:
Good project Jeff! Looks like you know what you're doing and what it will take. All the power and we'll be looking forward to the updates. Welcome to the world of Ghias.

Thanks!
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build....

So as shared, this is my son's first VW build. Kyle is just turing 14, and we were looking for a VW that would be interesting, and fun for his first build. He has had his eye on Ghia's for a while, and owning a lowlight was a dream. We have been looking for several months, and wasn't sure the right car for the right price would come along. We feel very fortunate to have found this Ghia, and Dolphin Blue is an amazing color.

So stay tuned for more to come. We will update the thread as we go, and should be a fun and interesting build. Appreciate all the positive comments, and let's make this a positive experience for a teen just starting out....

Kyle and his younger brother David (10) were already on the car this morning. Looking it over, scouring the Samba and internet for info, making their lists. Very fun and exciting to see the passion igniting...

lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gondiwindi wrote:

I restored my low light from a junk yard W/O a salvage title in 6 months and I was working 40 hours a week with my full time job and worked on the car at night and weekends, and it can be done without deep pockets.

Have fun with your son working on this car Jeff.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to change the title of the thread for you, but no luck. I guess it's been up too long. Maybe one of the Mods can help out. I give my blessing to any name change the current owners desire.

Good luck with the project I'll try to check in every now and again to see the progress.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck guys. Jeff - obviously you've been there before which is great for this car. I look forward to seeing the transformation.
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gondiwindi wrote:
Good luck guys. Jeff - obviously you've been there before which is great for this car. I look forward to seeing the transformation.

Thanks! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: