Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ECTA Sept LSR racing at Wilmington, OH
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: ECTA Sept LSR racing at Wilmington, OH Reply with quote

We just returned from the last 2013 ECTA Wilmington LSR mile event with the Anderson/Bruch/Newport 36hp VW Ghia. We did ok but fell a little short of our goals. We set 3 new records. First one 36hp new age class at 128+mph. Second one in H/BGC (blown gas coupe) at 128.9mph. Third one in H/CBGC (Classic blown gas coupe) at 128.3mph. We’re giving away some engine size in these 1500cc classes. The motor is still alive but the crisp edge seems to be off. Too many fuel problems washing down the cylinders. Trying to get the sharpe combination back & maybe the turbo needs some help. We blew quite a bit of oil out at this event so maybe the rings are used up too..

I think it’s time for a complete tear-down, inspection, and some little upgrades but not straying too far from the successful good combination. I would like to make the motor size larger from 1378cc to maybe 1582cc but not make it run warmer or loose the right combination. The combination of turbo size, port and head flow,cam shaft, etc, … seems to be very critical to make good power and keep the fragile antique 2-piece engine together. It seems to be much more difficult to find the combination than say a 1600cc or 1835 or larger VW.

I’ll just keep plugging away!!

Bvilletom Tom Bruch

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Porsche 914/6 – 2 liter LSR record holder
1992 Metro Sedan – 1 liter LSR records
1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint – under construction
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ECTA Sept LSR racing at Wilmington, OH Reply with quote

bvilletom wrote:
We just returned from the last 2013 ECTA Wilmington LSR mile event with the Anderson/Bruch/Newport 36hp VW Ghia. We did ok but fell a little short of our goals. We set 3 new records. First one 36hp new age class at 128+mph. Second one in H/BGC (blown gas coupe) at 128.9mph. Third one in H/CBGC (Classic blown gas coupe) at 128.3mph. We’re giving away some engine size in these 1500cc classes. The motor is still alive but the crisp edge seems to be off. Too many fuel problems washing down the cylinders. Trying to get the sharpe combination back & maybe the turbo needs some help. We blew quite a bit of oil out at this event so maybe the rings are used up too..

I think it’s time for a complete tear-down, inspection, and some little upgrades but not straying too far from the successful good combination. I would like to make the motor size larger from 1378cc to maybe 1582cc but not make it run warmer or loose the right combination. The combination of turbo size, port and head flow,cam shaft, etc, … seems to be very critical to make good power and keep the fragile antique 2-piece engine together. It seems to be much more difficult to find the combination than say a 1600cc or 1835 or larger VW.

I’ll just keep plugging away!!

Bvilletom Tom Bruch

It would be hard to be disappointed with 3 new records, Tom. Congratulations. Very close to the all time fastest 36! I sure admire your methodical approach.
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Tom and crew. The records keep coming from all of your efforts.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Tom, Tom and Gaylen.!!!!!!!! Way to go.

brad
meciscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD SHOW!!!!!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go. I wanna help next time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I wanna document your effort in pictographs!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dandand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your efforts and your record runs!

And ain't it fun not having to spend the next two weeks washing the salt off of (and out of) everything!!!

Although I think we'd all welcome a nice (dry) week on the salt anytime. Maybe next year
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope so Dan. I missed you this year. Why, in fact, I missed everyone this year. Let's plan for better weather and dry salt for the 100th Anniversary of racing at Bonneville in September 2014.

And good luck to the Matthew Kenney, Bryan Houston, Juan Cole and Dick Beith along with any others I don't know about who will be racing at the Mojave Mile next weekend.

Go fast and be safe.............................

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
latenightaircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Tom and crew. We love to see the records fall. Ghia looks great by the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: